Rule voting results

With these new proposals, the distinction between bandos and Drum Corps will become very blurred. If Drum Corps wants to remain the self-proclaimed "marching elite" it should distance itself from this nonsense.

If DCI wants to really be Marching Music Major League, not only should electronics be added, but WW and any other instruments as well.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

other corps getting bigger while another 10-15 D2 and D3 and another 3-4 D1 corps bite the dust.

You almost think thats what DCI wants to happen.......

Umm... you guys all realize this is just the first round of voting, right? This was just the instructor's caucus, the board-of-directors vote is tomorrow.

There's still hope. :worthy:

EDIT: I guess you did...

What does that even mean? Every corps' instructors voted? When do we find out today what the scheme is?

If DCI wants to really be Marching Music Major League, not only should electronics be added, but WW and any other instruments as well.

Then, Drum Corps will truely be gone, and it will all be marching bands!!! Thank goodness for the alums

What does that even mean? Every corps' instructors voted? When do we find out today what the scheme is?

In a small way, it works sort of like Congress.. except if the two congressional bodies were not equals. The instructors' caucus gets it started and the BOD finishes up.

the way rules change work in DCI is sort of like this:

Somebody makes a proposal.

At the winter meetings, the instructor's caucus meets and one of the things they do is discuss and vote on the rules proposals. they may vote on them as is or conditionally (as you see the asterisks indicating modifications). All instructors (including all divisions) are eligible to attend AND vote but as you have probably surmised from the voting numbers, there aren't that many in attendance. So... *commence mini-rant* while there are a lot of people who decry the board of directors as being this small group of people who are driving the activity in one direction or another.. what I think they don't understand is that in reality the opportunity for a much larger group to drive the activity is there, it's just not being taken by the people who could do it. */mini-rant*

ANYWAY.. all a vote in the instructor's caucus does is send that proposal to the BOD for consideration and possible modifications. The BOD votes only on those proposals that the instructors' caucus passed.

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

All instructors (including all divisions) are eligible to attend AND vote but as you have probably surmised from the voting numbers, there aren't that many in attendance.

So, I could have attended and made the electronics vote 17-3?

So, I could have attended and made the electronics vote 17-3?

yes. Or you and 15 of your similarly opined instructor friends could have attended and made the electronics vote FAIL 19/17.

And for further clarification.. if even 50% of the instructors out there attended, perhaps there would be a much different list of proposals that actually get sent to the BOD... or maybe we'd get a better idea of how many instructors really do like some of the proposals that get put up in front of the BOD for voting.

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

How does it all work? Is there a limit as to who can go, or is each corps allowed one or two representatives for the instructors' caucus? I've never actually seen any of the rules on this subject.

I'm pretty sure it's an instructor's caucus -- meaning ALL instructors are able to attend and vote.

Check with your corps director -- he or she should know and if he or she doesn't, encourage them to find out.

and just to clarify the idea that's probably bubbling up in your head right now, when George and I first started talking about creating DCP, one of the things we wanted to accomplish was to create a fund that would either pay or or help offset the costs for DII/III corps admins and instructors to attend the winter meetings and therefore participate in the caucuses.

this has been an issue that's needed addressing for a LONG TIME.

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

Will do.

Paging Kusankusho...what are you doing next January buddy?