SUNrisers.... This SUNday! .... SUPERBOWL SUNday!

All right, Rich. Enough already!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember my first year in the Sunrisers back in 1987. We had a fairly small hornline for the time but we were a determined buncha mutts.

Many of us didn't expect our difficult show would be recognized or place as high as we wanted. But we worked hard to work our way up through the ranks in DCA. As the season continued, Bobby "Steinie" pressed us and promised we could recapture the glory days of the 1970s and prove our worth to the activity. He actually said we could win the whole thing. For my part, I know that lit a fire under me and I decided to dream big.

By the time the Barnum Show came around near season's end, we were a well-oiled machine and pumped for a conquest. We took home a win that night against our strongest competitors. We'd gone from the threat on everyone's heels to overtaking them.

DCA Prelims looked like it might be a washout. The rain was coming down in sheets and we were soaked. But our leadership gave us inspiration that day and we took the field hungry for a win. We opened up with a wall of sound in "Adventures on Earth" that was a bold statement: we were here to put on the performance of our lives. No matter WHAT Mother Nature threw at us! The crowd was on our side because while some other corps were wilting under the elements, we were giving our all in a spirited performace that captured their hearts.

With DCA Finals canceled due to the rain-soaked weekend, our Prelims win stood as the Championship win for the season.

The following season built on that success, our ranks grew, and we continued with a strong run through 1989. I'm proud of having played a part in the resurgence of this great corps.

I have no doubt that the Sunrisers can pull together and reach down inside themselves to make 2007 a very special year for members, staffs, and believers.

Good luck in your efforts to recapture the magic that made the Sunrisers so special to the activity. GO SUN!

Fran Haring: tell your wife I said "Hello." I had a blast at DCA I&E back in September!

John Clougher: Remember to get me some t-shirts of my old designs when they're reprinted!

History_Bmen84.jpg

:beer: Thank you Jim.....VERY well said. :huh:

I've had the honor of a similar experience. Donna (my wife of 35 years) and I joined the Sunrisers in 1975 and worked in a similar fashion towards accomplishing our first DCA title in 1977, and again for our 3rd DCA win in 1982. Then again, I don't remember any of our competitors sitting it out and letting us slide into ANY of the my 4 DCA titles. Nor has any member of any of the Corps that have won their DCA titles not BEVIEVED "If it is to be, it's up to ME" and worked to MAKE IT SO... :beer:

A few quotes that have made a difference for me...

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

~ Gandhi (or to paraphrase Gandhi "Be the change you wish to see in your Corps"...)

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act,

but also dream; not only plan, but also believe"

~ Anatole France

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal;

nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

~Thomas Jefferson

"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it.

The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

~ Earl Nightingale, speaker, author

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that,

but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

~ Mark Twain

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right!"

~ Henry Ford

Yours in Corps,

Tony White

Sunrisers, 1975-1985

I remember my first year in the Sunrisers back in 1987. We had a fairly small hornline for the time but we were a determined buncha mutts.

Many of us didn't expect our difficult show would be recognized or place as high as we wanted. But we worked hard to work our way up through the ranks in DCA. As the season continued, Bobby "Steinie" pressed us and promised we could recapture the glory days of the 1970s and prove our worth to the activity. He actually said we could win the whole thing. For my part, I know that lit a fire under me and I decided to dream big.

By the time the Barnum Show came around near season's end, we were a well-oiled machine and pumped for a conquest. We took home a win that night against our strongest competitors. We'd gone from the threat on everyone's heels to overtaking them.

DCA Prelims looked like it might be a washout. The rain was coming down in sheets and we were soaked. But our leadership gave us inspiration that day and we took the field hungry for a win. We opened up with a wall of sound in "Adventures on Earth" that was a bold statement: we were here to put on the performance of our lives. No matter WHAT Mother Nature threw at us! The crowd was on our side because while some other corps were wilting under the elements, we were giving our all in a spirited performace that captured their hearts.

With DCA Finals canceled due to the rain-soaked weekend, our Prelims win stood as the Championship win for the season.

The following season built on that success, our ranks grew, and we continued with a strong run through 1989. I'm proud of having played a part in the resurgence of this great corps.

I have no doubt that the Sunrisers can pull together and reach down inside themselves to make 2007 a very special year for members, staffs, and believers.

Good luck in your efforts to recapture the magic that made the Sunrisers so special to the activity. GO SUN!

Fran Haring: tell your wife I said "Hello." I had a blast at DCA I&E back in September!

John Clougher: Remember to get me some t-shirts of my old designs when they're reprinted!

History_Bmen84.jpg

Today!!

Hey Larry - as a long time Sunriser, I graciously extend to you the right to use my copyrighted graphic:)

Anyone else ... you had better ask me first!