Is amplification a success?

Amplification, as of Feb 2007  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Has amplification been a success for DCI?

• Yes, it is a success
    • No, it is not a success
    • I have no opinion

Technology also makes it feasible to incorporate instruments like electric guitars in a woodwind quintet. Why NOT use them? If miccing an instrument makes it possible to use in a woodwind quintet, then it becomes suitable to the woodwind quintet venue. So really, why leave them out?

Oh wait! Because it's a woodwind quintet! :worthy:

Well, I guess someone could, and maybe has, written a woodwind quintet piece that uses non-traditional instruments.

However, your analogy fails, in that for THIS discussion we as talking about the use of percussion instruments in a percussion section, not something like a guitar in a WW group.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess someone could, and maybe has, written a woodwind quintet piece that uses non-traditional instruments.

However, your analogy fails, in that for THIS discussion we as talking about the use of percussion instruments in a percussion section, not something like a guitar in a WW group.

Here's some food for thought.

What do you think of the opinion some people used to hold before 2004 that one of the reasons that made drum corps great was because everything was produced without any use of electronic equipment whatsoever? I know this is one of the reasons I personally think shows from that era were so great. Is that a valid opinion?

Here's some more "food for thought".

At every level of drum corps, the likelihood that an instrument will perform as designed is probably 99.9%

The likelihood that an amplification system will perform as designed is under 90%.

With those vast differences, is it any wonder that fans don't believe in it?

Here's some food for thought.

What do you think of the opinion some people used to hold before 2004 that one of the reasons that made drum corps great was because everything was produced without any use of electronic equipment whatsoever? I know this is one of the reasons I personally think shows from that era were so great. Is that a valid opinion?

Since it is an opinion...of course it is valid.

Since it is an opinion...of course it is valid.

So you understand where those people and I are coming from and realize why this is a big issue to us that electronics not be included?

I actually agree. The singing part was done reasonably well at least (and it was short, more like a little interlude into the brass then anything), but the "beat poetry" part (as I call it) was rather silly. And way too long.

And with all due respect to everyone concerned, it was the singing part that I criticized the most. Singing is another discipline requiring another set of skills and abilities. It stretches the talent pool too thin to expect these young performers to march, dance, drum, bugle, and now sing too. It runs the risk of taking the excellence out of the performance and leaving us with mediocrity. The kids deserve better and audiences should expect better.

It also implies a certain disrespect for singing...as if "any ol' drum corps kid can sing". We don't need 2nd rate singing and I for one would much prefer to have the corps focus on excellent marching, excellent drumming and excellent bugling. There is no benefit in putting out a smorgishboard of half-baked everything.

Singing on the scale of Garfield's famous "amen" is fine. But to feature a 1, 2 or 3 minute singing solo is just a mistake. It runs the risk of being 2nd rate and leaves us with a major identity crisis. Afterall, it's not even a 12 minute show!

Edited by SpartacusRocks

So you understand where those people and I are coming from and realize why this is a big issue to us that electronics not be included?

Do I understand it? Sure...doesn't mean I agree with you. IMO your POV is 100% wrong, but that's just MY POV.

Singing on the scale of Garfield's famous "amen" is fine. But to feature a 1, 2 or 3 minute singing solo is just a mistake. It runs the risk of being 2nd rate and leaves us with a major identity crisis. Afterall, it's not even a 12 minute show!

Why? The young lady in The Cadets did a great job last season, and the Crown singers also did just fine in 2004.