Is amplification a success?

Amplification, as of Feb 2007  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Has amplification been a success for DCI?

• Yes, it is a success
    • No, it is not a success
    • I have no opinion

Obviously the mics are gonna pick up more than just the pit/voice, that is far different than amping the field insturments.

In what way?

As far as the eq'ing goes, I was anware of that, but still, he called it an unenforceable rule, which it clearly isnt, its just bad rule enforcing.

It's unenforceable. Once the corps start plugging black boxes into the nearest power outlet, it is not possible for a contest director to determine what those black boxes are really doing in the brief time they have without interfering with the performance.

Take a hypothetical example. Say the Bluecoats snuck some reverb in for that steel drum solo in last year's opener to mask it's otherwise unnaturally-amplified sound (again, this is hypothetical, as it clearly sounded artificial every time I heard it). How would you, as the hypothetical contest director, determine whether an infraction had occurred?

Some sound boards have equalization built-in, but EQ is not allowed per the DCI rules. I saw one such board in use at a late-season contest. Each channel had different EQ settings, ranging all over the scale.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't ruin it in all cases...but shows like Crown 2004, Blue Devils 2005, and Cadets 2006 were indeed ruined. I have no desire to listen to them on CD, or watch them on DVD, and every time I saw Cadets last year they were unenjoyable.

My favorite use of amped vocals was Crown's "popping" sound last year.

Ah, good. I thought you were stating that any amped voice would ruin any show. Which would be absurd

I think amping the pits is necessary (unfortunately), but all the voice and singing is definitely not.

It wasn't really necessary. If it was true, then there would be a need for less people in the pit to play the necessary parts. Instead it has gotten bigger and there is now a need for a board operator.

I think amping the pits is necessary (unfortunately), but all the voice and singing is definitely not.

I agree. The pit amping has been a success, in general. As has been said before, it allows for more artistic freedom, and the use of softer mallets as well as the ability to create new sounds. These things combine for an increase in the percussion and GE scores because the players are learning and perfecting a larger range of disciplines and they are able to be more subtle in order to create moods. Voice on the other hand has yet to really work well for me.

The only time I've heard it and liked it was the James Bond show. So overall I would say it is unnecessary, expensive, problematic, and doesn't do a quality job of doing what it was initially intended for, which was to give the front line more presence.

In cases where the corps know how to place mics and control levels so that the pit sound is enhanced transparently (ie: you're not 'hearing' the amplification) it works - but in cases where levels are too hot or mic placement is poor, it's amateur hour. Cavaliers seem to know what they're doing. Vanguard, as much as I liked them last year, didn't.

And every vocal cue stands out in a negative fashion, imho. The sound systems the corps are carting around aren't sophisticated enough with enough coverage of the 'room' to make a solo vocalist sound good. It comes off like the high school PA system at the homecoming rally, in marked contrast to the relative professionalism of the rest of the corps' sounds.

Edited by mobrien