If you could, would you march a traditional corps?

would you give a traditional corps a go?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. The 1970's drum corps reality show.

• Yes,I would definitely love to try it.
    • No, I would not do this.
    • If I saw it and it wasn't lame, I would try it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to march Scouts 75 or Spirit 1980. Both amazing shows.

Maybe Vanguard one of the years they did the bottle dance, that would be ######

There is a distinct difference in the way some of the "younger generation" come on this forum and act all superior like there is no way that they would even consider marching a 70's show, and I just simply attribute that to them not knowing much about the history of it. I know not everybody cares about the history of the activity as much as I and some other posters do, that is so obvious, but it is just a point I am making, just as you are making yours. I mean in regards to, do they know the difficulty of the instruments that were played and how hard it was to play on them while high mark timing? And not to mention carrying around tympinis and mallets. God I couldn't even imagine that. I couldn't imagine playing "Crown Imperial" on a rotary valve. To me that aspect of the history blows me away. Imagine if the kid couldn't read a lick of music and was actually taught how to play the horn?

Cause if they did, they would clearly understand that if it wasn't for the past and for people like Marc Sylvester, George Zingali, who marched 70's drill's btw and got their start together with Zingali, then you wouldn't have the wonderful drills of today. Just something to think about.

Oh and you're right, it does go both ways, there are alot of shows of today that just don't "float my boat" and I find extremely boring, but if I were to say that on here like the way the kids come at the other generations, then I'd be some horrible "old person" who marched in the 80's who doesn't get it. Plus I was a music major. No I understand what I like. I know what I don't like and I know how to say it in a respectful manner.

I can respect what somebody is doing but that doesn't mean I necessarily like it.

Obviously I still respect the activity although I don't agree with the changes or I wouldn't care to make donations or sponsor someone.

They also can come on here and show a little more respect for the activity and the history of how it brought them to where they are today. That's all I'm asking. You don't have to like it all, just appreciate how far it's come. I don't think that's too much to ask.

There is FAR more degradation of todays drum corps on this board than other eras. I'm astounded that you really think that it's the younger generations that are the ones acting arrogant and superior. For every 1 thread about how frumpy old uniforms look, there are 10 about how modern uniforms are "cookie cutter". For every thread (if there is even 1) crticizing the instrumentation of older drum corps, there are 10,000 telling younger members that they aren't marching "real drum corps" and that they are just in marching band. Any time music is talked about, people heap the praise on older drum corps for being so much more "accessible" and crowd friendly while simultaneously ripping on modern drum corps for favoring sophistication. Get off your high horse and look in the mirror. Your generation is the one flinging the most crap at modern drum corps on DCP, not younger kids ripping on older drum corps.

I wish I had thought about how to word this topic a little better and to make it clearer than it is. However, the responders are generally ahead of me in their comments, (not that big a feat, believe me).

The neatest part, so far, is hearing about the classic shows and corps people would like to march from the '70's and '80s.

I'm reading them and going, "Oh yeah, that would be cool!"

The poll is going closer than I thought and if you count the third response as a guarded affirmative, you could say people would enjoy exploring this option.

I think that we would have to say that, from the responses, more modern equipment wins out.

Personally, I have to admit I like my 3 valve G bugle, but I liked valve/rotor, better than the two valves.

Drumline I think we need to go with the over the shoulder brace type holder thingy, thing that keeps the drum off the ground, not the sling and knee brace for snare. Agreed?

However, I don't care for the new snare sound so much. To me it sounds edgy and makes the drum parts sound so...hectic, louder, but not more powerful, if that's possible. I have no idea what kind of snare was in use in those days. Are we going quads or triple toms?

Pit. A sore topic with me, but I see the folly of my ways. You can't have people carrying tymps and heavy stuff like that. It's just wrong. It was wrong back then. It would be wrong now. Not surprisingly, I would probably want to limit the pit size and instrumentation though, to what was generally available at the time pits first appeared. (I think Kilties had the first pit set up taking advantage of the sideline rule change.I'm saying '78-79?)

Don't hate me pit people - I don't know why, but...well, you know. I'm sorry.

Guards. I'm really out of my element here. But I think the guards of the early to mid '80s were the most enjoyable to watch along with the show. Now, to me, there's too much. I'm a less is more type of person. I go with the flags, rifles, and some dance type stuff. No props. Just for this type of hypothetical corps situation - not for what is happening on the field now.

I know you people got it goin' on.

Thanks for responding and sharing your thoughts. I enjoy reading what people write. Just remember not to attack one era over another - that's not playing nice. And do you really enjoy hurting people's feelings or getting them angry?

I mentioned, I think at the beginning, the PBS reality shows about living the way they did in the past. I think this would be a cool thing to do, as a one time deal, as a documentary. If you could get some kids to do it. But then, I think the equipment and show style would have to be more true to the selected time period.

There is FAR more degradation of todays drum corps on this board than other eras. I'm astounded that you really think that it's the younger generations that are the ones acting arrogant and superior. For every 1 thread about how frumpy old uniforms look, there are 10 about how modern uniforms are "cookie cutter". For every thread (if there is even 1) crticizing the instrumentation of older drum corps, there are 10,000 telling younger members that they aren't marching "real drum corps" and that they are just in marching band. Any time music is talked about, people heap the praise on older drum corps for being so much more "accessible" and crowd friendly while simultaneously ripping on modern drum corps for favoring sophistication. Get off your high horse and look in the mirror. Your generation is the one flinging the most crap at modern drum corps on DCP, not younger kids ripping on older drum corps.

I'm not on any high horse, maybe you should take a look at the "man in the mirror".

If I was "on a high horse" I wouldn't be dishing out money to support the activity still, now would I?

No, I'd say looking on here there is a good dose of crap flinging from every generation. That is my point. Thanks for checking though. :rolleyes:

I marched in the 80s, I just happen to support all eras of drum corps. I was trying to make a point about the history. Besides I don't think people are ripping the kids, you know better then that. Our generation understands it's the instructors and directors who are taking it to a different level. But anyway...

I see you took my post and went somewhere else with it though..but anyway..have a nice night.

I hate to admit it, but you make a valid point. When I first came on to the boards I was guilty of what you say. I've read a lot of posts and I take what people say to heart and If I agree, I mend my ways. I was of the school that because of the instruments and rule changes that have occurred, that it is no longer drum corps. That's because, being an old fart, I equate drum corps to drum and bugle corps. I still kinda feel that way, but I accept what you're doing is drum corps in it's present state. I don't think anyone means any harm, it's just so easy to be contrary when you're just posting. I don't think people would act this way to someone else's face. (Sort of like road rage. You could accidentally get in someone's way in the mall and say, "Oh, excuse me, I'm sorry" and they'd say, "No problem" Do it on the highway or parking lot and world war III erupts. I guess you could call it, "Post Rage")

Again, I think you have a valid point, but there is enough of this on both sides. I hope people take into consideration what you've written here. Maybe you don't agree with his perception who's doing the most slinging, but that is not important. As my mom, (RHS), would say, "Am I going to have to separate you two?!!! Play nice guys.

Guards. I'm really out of my element here. But I think the guards of the early to mid '80s were the most enjoyable to watch along with the show. Now, to me, there's too much. I'm a less is more type of person. I go with the flags, rifles, and some dance type stuff. No props. Just for this type of hypothetical corps situation - not for what is happening on the field now.

I know you people got it goin' on.

having first picked up a flag in 1981 i'd pray we never go back to that guard style. IMO it was a snoozefest. if i had not been right in the middle of the era of massive changes in the color guard genre, i.e., the inclusion of dance and body movement, i probably would never have wished to continue in the activity long.

do i think at times we've gone a bit too far in the other direction? occassionally, but not often. and from what i have seen in over 25 years of being around ~ there will always be one group or another that will attempt to push the limits. the good thing is i've also seen that those to push the limits also pull them back in eventually. to me a perfect example of that would be Crown's show with the tires. too far removed from guard ~ not enough spinning of the "traditional equipment" for my tastes. in 2006 i loved their guard book. yeah it still needed some cleaning and it times it appeared to be written over their heads a bit. but that still doesn't take away from the fact that it i liked that show, and from speaking with others they did too.

i know some others don't like the fact that the guard has developed their own identity with their own uniform that changes from year to year with the show concept as well. i think it is one of the things i like MOST about it. the guard is supposed to be part of the visual aspect of the show. the uniform often helps to convey that theme to the audience. yes i've seen some guards in uniform that make me question what it is exactly that they are trying to convey, BUT again those are few and far between. again, having started in 1981, i had the opportunity to spin in uniforms that were the matching product. it was impossible to perform in those once the militaristic aspect began to be removed and dance and body movement was added. i'm not saying that some person or company couldn't design a uniform in better fabric that looked identical to the musicians uniforms. it is fully possible. but personally i don't think it is needed, necessary or even a good idea. i like that the guard has their own physical identity. i like being able to scan across the field from the audience and see immediately where the guard is in the drill ~ they stand out ~ not blend in.

these are just my opinions. but i'm very glad guards have 'evolved'. i wouldn't want it any other way.

having first picked up a flag in 1981 i'd pray we never go back to that guard style. IMO it was a snoozefest. if i had not been right in the middle of the era of massive changes in the color guard genre, i.e., the inclusion of dance and body movement, i probably would never have wished to continue in the activity long.

do i think at times we've gone a bit too far in the other direction? occassionally, but not often. and from what i have seen in over 25 years of being around ~ there will always be one group or another that will attempt to push the limits. the good thing is i've also seen that those to push the limits also pull them back in eventually. to me a perfect example of that would be Crown's show with the tires. too far removed from guard ~ not enough spinning of the "traditional equipment" for my tastes. in 2006 i loved their guard book. yeah it still needed some cleaning and it times it appeared to be written over their heads a bit. but that still doesn't take away from the fact that it i liked that show, and from speaking with others they did too.

i know some others don't like the fact that the guard has developed their own identity with their own uniform that changes from year to year with the show concept as well. i think it is one of the things i like MOST about it. the guard is supposed to be part of the visual aspect of the show. the uniform often helps to convey that theme to the audience. yes i've seen some guards in uniform that make me question what it is exactly that they are trying to convey, BUT again those are few and far between. again, having started in 1981, i had the opportunity to spin in uniforms that were the matching product. it was impossible to perform in those once the militaristic aspect began to be removed and dance and body movement was added. i'm not saying that some person or company couldn't design a uniform in better fabric that looked identical to the musicians uniforms. it is fully possible. but personally i don't think it is needed, necessary or even a good idea. i like that the guard has their own physical identity. i like being able to scan across the field from the audience and see immediately where the guard is in the drill ~ they stand out ~ not blend in.

these are just my opinions. but i'm very glad guards have 'evolved'. i wouldn't want it any other way.

I see what you're saying. I used to love the sound of the rifle belts slapping against the rifle body when they would spin them, though, it was like a mean metronome.

From all the posts so far, as I've mentioned, a type of Hybrid style is coming to mind. Instead of all new ditch the past. Let's take the best from each era. (I know that's what some people think we have now and maybe so at one time) I'm just going by what people are posting here and it seems like late '70s to 1990 is the favorite time and type of corps.

Pretty much follows the age curve of people posting probably.

I have a "done it, been there" attitude towards this poll. I would love to march a modern show, especially playing plates in my old alma mater. We cruised up and down the 50 all night long. I want to be all over the place, being integrated into the drill at any given moment.

not really sure. depends on the show, I guess.

I'd prefer to march a show in the 90's, though. I'd kill to march just about any Phantom/Cavaliers show throughout the 90's.

and I do love modern drum corps.

~>conner