If you could, would you march a traditional corps?

would you give a traditional corps a go?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. The 1970's drum corps reality show.

• Yes,I would definitely love to try it.
    • No, I would not do this.
    • If I saw it and it wasn't lame, I would try it.

I would love to march Phantom '79. What a show! Also, any of the mid-70's scouts show.

Also, what is elevator-style drill? (sorry guys, I'm just a young'n.

Zach;

Thats OK. I am 60 and marched the so called "Elevator Drill". Just found out TODAY.

Back in the '50s and into the mid '60s. A Corps would do a drill that pretty much marched back and forth between the side lines in the 50 yard line area.

(just learned that today.)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could, I would have been in the age I am now in the late 60's or early 70's anyway . . . so I guess, yeah, sure.

Now now. I can't speak for all of the younger generation. But I am of the younger generation and know a bit about the past. I have total respect for what you guys did and know that I don't think I could have, or at least, would not have been interested in drum corps at that time. For me, I'm a classical percussionist and the ability to play concert timpani is what attracted me, not running around the field with something on my back that really probably shouldn't be. So, "70's" drum corps is by no means a disease and is the roots of what got us to where we are at currently, just not something that it seems a lot of the younger generation would be interested in. We're used to our fast drills and concept shows, not coming off the line and having to do a concert piece. But I do appreciate that you respect what is done now, as I appreciate what was before. "Agree to disagree" (1$ to Anchor Man) :P

Thank you for restoring my faith in the "younger" generation. :P :)

I think you may be surprised at some of the classical things going I think you'd get into Phantom for sure. You should check out 78 and 79 Phantom..Da bomb! :) I wouldn't want to carry a tympini either my back goes out just thinking about it.

I'm kind of like Lucysky, I would like to use todays equipment in a 70s show and see how it sounds, that'd be cool uh?

I do totally respect what you guys do now I can say I had the honor of marching a Sylvester drill that was non stop (the beginning of those style drills) in our 86 show, but nothing compared to what y'all do today! I marvel at what the corps of today do and just go.."I don't know if I could've done that or not". (Just keeping it real). :) I had a hard enough time marching with the Lancers till Zingali got ahold of me. :) Just keeping it real.

Edited by Lancerlady

as someone who knows her drum corps history and is about to be 40 ~ i am completely uninterested in marching that type of show. even the Bridgemen alumni corps is more modern than that thankfully. :)

I think the drum harnesses and such would be OK and the lightweight flags and rifles, too.

What lightweight flags and rifles? They're much lighter today.

You also could never compare 77 Madison with 07 Madison (for example...put whatever corps in you like). The style is so much different, not to mention the judging system was totally different too.

It would be cool though.... :laugh:

What lightweight flags and rifles? They're much lighter today.

You also could never compare 77 Madison with 07 Madison (for example...put whatever corps in you like). The style is so much different, not to mention the judging system was totally different too.

It would be cool though.... :laugh:

Well, as opposed the the satin flags and steel flag poles and actual carbines. Use the aluminum or plastic poles and facsimile carbines.

You sound huffy about it.

You can hear my post?

I think maybe you're hearing what you want to hear.. I don't feel "huffy" about any of it. I just answered your question as best I could.

I have a lot of historical drum corps knowledge -- though much of my first hand experience with anything before 1984 was through video/audio recordings. I know that leaves a lot to be desired but even when I was a kid visiting my grandmother in Hawthorne and tripped over the Muchachos practicing just down the street from her house, I didn't find 70s drum corps all that enticing or exciting.

And I'd like to point out to Steph that there's no crime in finding some part of drum corps history uninspiring. Not everybody is required to like everything (or did I miss that in the rules congress?).

The focus should be on what inspired a fan to be here in the first place. For me, that didn't happen until well after 2 valve bugles were standard and assymmetrical drill was well on the way to being "the next big thing" every corps was doing.

Just because some member of the "younger generation" finds they have more interest in shows of today and little or no interest in shows of yesterday doesn't automatically mean they disrespect the history of drum corps. Maybe it means they are aware of it but it doesn't float their boat the way what they DO like does (kind of the same way a lot of older fans don't much care for modern drum corps and prefer yesterday's version -- and repeat again and again that they are not "slamming the kids who march today" by slamming what they do. That's a two-way street. You can have an appreciation for something without having a desire to do it that way.).

Stef

Just because some member of the "younger generation"

Stef

Heh.........55 is younger generation to me Stef.....LOLOLOL b**bs

Jimbalaya

Well, as opposed the the satin flags and steel flag poles and actual carbines. Use the aluminum or plastic poles and facsimile carbines.

Not to mention flags with Lettering on BOTH sides.

Then the Honor Guard Flags were sometimes even heavier, doublesided Legion or VFW embroiderd symbles, plus the lettering readable on Both sides. Rifles had to have Working parts Many of the groups today, that even bother to carry an American Flag, use a printed one, not sewn.