Crossmen News

I wish the Crossmen all the best in their new home, and I'm sure they will be fantastic, but I really don't think the number of vets returning proves wrong those who expressed initial concerns about whether vets would be able to return after the move.

If the numbers you quoted were correct, that's only 39 returnees, a return rate of well under 50 percent.

Please understand that I'm not knocking the new Crossmen, just saying that if anything, those numbers prove that the initial worries were legitimate.

I don't know exactly what the number of vets is since it changes every camp, but the members who have returned are providing a solid base for retaining Crossmen history. Many of these marched more than one season and are back to make sure the corps continues the history. They are having mini history sessions at each camp, led by the members. I don't know much about what goes on, but I believe they are talking about what they understand of the traditions and viewing past videos.

I've been at the last three camps and each time there are more vets back. The mixing of the new members with the old seems to be going fine. The organization is used to having new people every year. In 2005 the whole pit was rookies. This year there are vets in every section. When you consider what is involved in getting to these camps, 40 or so is impressive. I was not expecting that many. I think even if they stayed in NJ, there would have been a lot of kids going elsewhere after the past two years finishing out of the top 12.

The corps is definitely older than they have been, lots of college students. Many of the new members have previous corps experience. There is a lot of talent and the music is impressive. The work ethic is intense. Being at the camp definitely feels like Crossmen - only warmer.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the Crossmen have enough vets in place to keep a sense of continuity going. They have always been a corps who (to me, anyway) prides itself on its history and unique traditions, and I don't imagine any of that will be permitted by those vets to just go away. With a move like this, that kind of continuity is important.

But I have to also say that while having tons of vets around can be good, sometimes you need fresh blood. And in the Crossmen's case, after the last few seasons they've had, I think they needed a LOT of fresh blood. And a higher level of overall talent. And a fresh, new approach to what they do, and more importantly, how well they do it. I like what I've heard about them so far from friends and colleagues who are part of what's going on. They've still got plenty of work to do, but it would please me to no end to see them back in Finals where I feel they belong. Keep working, Bones! Best of luck.

I don't know exactly what the number of vets is since it changes every camp, but the members who have returned are providing a solid base for retaining Crossmen history. Many of these marched more than one season and are back to make sure the corps continues the history. They are having mini history sessions at each camp, led by the members. I don't know much about what goes on, but I believe they are talking about what they understand of the traditions and viewing past videos.

I've been at the last three camps and each time there are more vets back. The mixing of the new members with the old seems to be going fine. The organization is used to having new people every year. In 2005 the whole pit was rookies. This year there are vets in every section. When you consider what is involved in getting to these camps, 40 or so is impressive. I was not expecting that many. I think even if they stayed in NJ, there would have been a lot of kids going elsewhere after the past two years finishing out of the top 12.

The corps is definitely older than they have been, lots of college students. Many of the new members have previous corps experience. There is a lot of talent and the music is impressive. The work ethic is intense. Being at the camp definitely feels like Crossmen - only warmer.

I agree. The Crossmen have a great history. Texas has lots of talent. And yes, 40 vets is IMPRESSIVE considering the cost of airfare for the East Coast members.

Good luck to Bones in 2007!

BackBeat

If the numbers you quoted were correct, that's only 39 returnees, a return rate of well under 50 percent.

I believe there was a press release around the time of the move that said normally they would expect ~60 vets back, which is already under 50%. After 2 years out and the lowest placing in 15+ years, you would probably wonder how many would've come back if they were still in NJ. And there were numbers thrown around on DCP right after the move was announced of some people expecting 10-20, and if the numbers I quoted were correct, there's 40 now (39 and a drum major). Didn't the Cavaliers return like 90 people or something one year recently? Obviously it's nothing close to that, but it's enough to provide a solid bass that can be added to from a larger and arguably superior talent pool. And it's a solid bass that will keep the Crossmen the Crossmen, which is probably the most important issue.

:)

I believe there was a press release around the time of the move that said normally they would expect ~60 vets back, which is already under 50%. After 2 years out and the lowest placing in 15+ years, you would probably wonder how many would've come back if they were still in NJ. And there were numbers thrown around on DCP right after the move was announced of some people expecting 10-20, and if the numbers I quoted were correct, there's 40 now (39 and a drum major). Didn't the Cavaliers return like 90 people or something one year recently? Obviously it's nothing close to that, but it's enough to provide a solid bass that can be added to from a larger and arguably superior talent pool. And it's a solid bass that will keep the Crossmen the Crossmen, which is probably the most important issue.

:)

That would be two drum majors, so I guess that makes it 41. The second drum major was announced at this camp and I don't think included in the 22 brass. He is a vet.

39 vets?

95 Rookies? (be they drum corps rookies or not, that is still 95 CROSSMEN rookies... Not a lot of year on year chemistry there)

Finals??!!

Are you kidding me? No chance I am afraid. If I am wrong I will publicly eat my shorts on YouTube!

39 vets?

95 Rookies? (be they drum corps rookies or not, that is still 95 CROSSMEN rookies... Not a lot of year on year chemistry there)

Finals??!!

Are you kidding me? No chance I am afraid. If I am wrong I will publicly eat my shorts on YouTube!

CJ, I have some mustard for you, just say when.

39 vets?

Finals??!!

Oh Boy, I can't wait to see that video on YouTube, you eating your shorts!!!! I am planning to see the Crossmen on Saturday night August 11th in Pasadena, California. If not, then I will see them on Thursday and Friday night in the Rose Bowl. How great is that!!!!!!!!!!! 25 years after I aged-out in Montreal, Canada and 32 years since our first DCI finals in Philadelphia, Pa. :)

I wish them nothing but the best. I have always liked Crossmen. Infact, Songs For Planet Earth is my all time FAVORITE show hands down. I just think that 2007 is gonna be a bit rough for them. Here's hoping I am wrong.