Do you feel that shows are over GE'd?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was very definte departure for the Cavaliers between 2000 and 2001 - with 2000 representing the 90s style (my personal favorite), and 2001 showing where they were going (elevator music :) ).

There was very definte departure for the Cavaliers between 2000 and 2001 - with 2000 representing the 90s style (my personal favorite), and 2001 showing where they were going (elevator music :) ).

I agree about the music. I never get a high off of it, or any wow moments. it's just kind of there... accompanying the drill.

I think they'll adapt and we'll see more concept shows... to me they arent very entertaining. give me shows like PR 03, Cadets 03, SCV 04, etc...

^OO^ I like that idea! I deffinately like 2 of the 3 shows you listed, One of which made me a fan for life.

I think it's a little odd, no one else has an opinion, it's just you and me. :ph34r:

I think it's a little odd, no one else has an opinion, it's just you and me. :ph34r:

I don't really have much to say. It's not that important to me. SO that means you're right. I don't have an opinion. :rock:

Edited by rai-mello

I don't really have much to say. It's not that important to me. SO that means you're right. I don't have an opinion. :ph34r:

Ok, so I worded it wrong, my bad :rock:

I meant I'm surprised that no one else had comments.

Ok, so I worded it wrong, my bad :ph34r:

I meant I'm surprised that no one else had comments.

You didn't word it wrong. I really don't have an opinion on this matter. If I did, I would be posting like crazy. But no, I don't.

ok, so i have a hypothesis that once in a while, we will see something new happen from a corp that can/will change the activity, and all of the other corps will play catch-up bc it's a winning model. (EX: Cadets 82/83-85) Do you feel that bc Cavaliers total GE concept shows have been a winning formula for them, that it is causing overprogramming just for other corps to catch up to what they (Cavies) can do in terms of the GE caption? I just feel that in shows today there is too much going on all at once. Instead of having wow moments every now and then, it seems like the show runs on an above normal amount of wowness yet still belowe a full throttle wow moment.

thoughts?

First, I disagree with your assessment of what's happening. I think if you look at a Cavaliers show, it's not at all the case that too much is happening at once, but rather that the whole corps is contributing to what's happening on the field at the same moment, and throughout the show. Saying that there is too much going on at once implies that there are multiple points of focus, a la Cadets 2006, and I don't think that's ever really the case. Rather I would phrase it that the entire show is committed to one concept (not theme, necessarily) that gets illustrated throughout. If I were to explain why I think the Cavaliers have led the activity over the last few years, I would attribute it to the fact that no effort is wasted. Every note played, every step taken contributes to the effect and the concept of the show. It's idea after idea after idea. It's a total commitment that few corps have been able to match. If anything, I'd love to see more corps who are able to rise to the challenge that the Cavaliers have set. Several shows have been able to do so, such as IMO Blue Devils 2004 and Cadets 2005, but I think it's that commitment to one cohesive eleven minute production that seperates good shows from the truly great.

Edited by Maedhros

If anything, I'd love to see more corps who are able to rise to the challenge that the Cavaliers have set. Several shows have been able to do so, such as IMO Blue Devils 2004 and Cadets 2005, but I think it's that commitment to one cohesive eleven minute production that seperates good shows from the truly great.

I view that as one style of drum corps, and frankly I'm glad that Regiment and SCV haven't surcombed to it. I don't find those shows as entertaining, because they are too heady. I think its great that it works for the Cavaliers, but I'm really really really glad that more corps haven't tried to emulate it.