Camp Updates

ok, well i even decided to go back and check some of his old posts, but i didnt notice that he bashes pioneer as much as you guys are making it out to be....sure there were a few posts but he does have a variety of opinons on other matters also that he posts about. but based on a lot of his posts i assume he has some relation with the Troopers, guessing marched there?? so maybe that would lead to some obvious biased opinions (what like no one has biased opinions based on corps they marched against?!?). i think accusing him of having a personal vendetta with Pioneer might be a bit extreme though...but maybe you're reading more between the lines then I am. I guess i figured its just not that deep :blink:

Let's please not bring any other corps into your beef (whether valid or not)...it is presuming official association that is not fair. :)

We might be a wee bit off-topic; let me pull it back on somewhat.

I am wondering if we are not hearing much from the camps due to restrictions put on the corps memberships by the corps about posting on DCP. I am aware of several corps that have these type of restrictions...to avoid such controversy and the negative PR on their programs.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the Troopers I've ever met have been about Honor, Loyalty, and Dedication. Not about bashing other corps. I can't imagine a Trooper or former Trooper ever making a post like that.

i dont know where you people are getting bashed?? being critical that they have 30 horns is bashing?? get off the guy's case its just DCP

I just wanted to touch on this issue one more time. While everyone continues to focus on the number "30" as the number of brass players we have right now, that number is not all inclusive and is probably much less than what we'll have on the starting line come June. That's simply the number that we had at this last camp. As I previously stated, there were people missing from almost every section due to school conflicts and so forth. In addition, there are some individuals who due to distance/travel considerations, won't even be joining the corps until May. And if you think that the number 30 is low, trust me... Pioneer has seen a lot lower numbers than that for winter camps in previous seasons. I can recall camps where we struggled to break 20 horns back when I marched from 1993-2000. Not that it's something that we're proud of, but it's something that most lower tier Division I corps have to deal with at some camps.

And I guess the last thing is that nothing in the DCI rule books states that you have to have 50+ horns to march Division I drum corps. Granted, it's very unlikely that you'd ever challenge for a DCI title with an undersized horn line. However, there have been several examples of corps being moderately successful with small horn lines. Pioneer in 1999 had only 28 horns, but still was a semifinalist, still got a standing ovation at every show, and got compliments at virtually every show from judges about the quality of our production. Or, perhaps you look at Les Etoiles, who came within a couple points of making top 12 in 1996 with less than 70 members in their corps. So it's clear that horn line/corps size doesn't necessarily dictate that corps can't be moderately successful with a smaller corps. That said, as was previously discussed, we have equipment and busses for 135 members. So, if anyone knows somebody who's still looking for a good place to march this summer, send them the way of Pioneer!

All the Troopers I've ever met have been about Honor, Loyalty, and Dedication. Not about bashing other corps. I can't imagine a Trooper or former Trooper ever making a post like that.

I've had bad experiences, but that's no matter. I posted about it on here once and people jumped down my throat, accusing me of lying... so I won't retell the story.

I've had bad experiences, but that's no matter. I posted about it on here once and people jumped down my throat, accusing me of lying... so I won't retell the story.

I had good experiences personally. But of course, we were in a pool with the troopers pit in Troy, Al, almost getting their tech fired. Whoops! ^0^ :P

"If he is so concerned about Pioneer's numbers, why doesn't he try to help them recruit instead of bashing them every possible chance???"

Thank you. Well said.

To clarify:

1) We had approximately 30 brass at the last camp.

2) We had brass members and guard members missing for a plethora of things.

3) Brass numbers are up from last season.

4) We are continuing our recruitment for brass members and color guard members. (See post in Announcement forum regarding Texas brass camp on the 25th.)

5) We have more recruitment opportunities coming up in the next month or so.

5.5) Not an excuse, just plain fact: Milwaukee is in the Midwest. Specifically, like real close to places like Rosemont, Rockford, Madison (2 corps there), La Crosse and Dubuque. Not to mention Racine, which is right down the road. Recruitment in this area is SATURATED with corps, most of which are current or former top 12.

6) We have a timeline in place for recruitment, design, etc. which is going to make this corps stronger.

7) We have some of the lowest fees in DCI, any division. This is due to an OUTSTANDING group of supporters that work the corps' Bingo. (And if any of you are reading this.....Thank You!)

8) This thread was started as a camp update thread. Someone from Pioneer gave a camp update.

9) If you are truly interested in Drum Corps, sponsor a kid to march. I have a mello that would love to join Pioneer that would be glad to be sponsored right now. Also have a contra, sop, bari and a guard member who are interested. What keeps them from marching? Money. Feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to get you in contact with these kids who have the desire and the talent, but need financial help to make this possible. (For those that are counting, that's 4 MORE brass players and a guard member..... all from the South.)

10) Point a kid to Pioneer. Like I said somewhere else on another thread, we have plenty of equipment.

11) A few personal observations: Administratively, the corps is in great shape. Financially, the corps is in great shape. (No, not Star of Indiana or maybe some of the other big dawgs that have great financial incomes, but this corps is DEFINITELY in stable financial shape.) Atmosphere-wise, this corps took in this Southern boy and made him feel like he was part of the family from the moment I first got off the plane in Milwaukee. Food wise - This corps eats well. (An army marches on their stomachs or something like that.) Member wise - The students at Pioneer are some of the hardest working kids I've ever been around. Period. Staff wise - I can say that one of the highlights of this past weekend was sitting in a classroom with the other caption heads working on show design, seeing them getting as excited as I was getting. These are some first class professionals that are with this corps for the long haul. I'm proud to be a part of that.

Camp update over. Corps update over. Have questions? Contact Pioneer:

From the Pioneer Website: www.pioneer-corps.org

You may contact the corps at any time by the following means:

By Email: dbcpmilw@execpc.com

By Mail: 4601 W. Holt Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53219

By Phone: (414) 327-2847

Corps Cell: (414) 333-2235

Corps Fax: (414) 543-8289

Part of the solution or the problem????? It's a choice.

Edited by Directorofbands

• 3 weeks later...
"If he is so concerned about Pioneer's numbers, why doesn't he try to help them recruit instead of bashing them every possible chance???"

Thank you. Well said.

To clarify:

1) We had approximately 30 brass at the last camp.

2) We had brass members and guard members missing for a plethora of things.

3) Brass numbers are up from last season.

4) We are continuing our recruitment for brass members and color guard members. (See post in Announcement forum regarding Texas brass camp on the 25th.)

5) We have more recruitment opportunities coming up in the next month or so.

5.5) Not an excuse, just plain fact: Milwaukee is in the Midwest. Specifically, like real close to places like Rosemont, Rockford, Madison (2 corps there), La Crosse and Dubuque. Not to mention Racine, which is right down the road. Recruitment in this area is SATURATED with corps, most of which are current or former top 12.

6) We have a timeline in place for recruitment, design, etc. which is going to make this corps stronger.

7) We have some of the lowest fees in DCI, any division. This is due to an OUTSTANDING group of supporters that work the corps' Bingo. (And if any of you are reading this.....Thank You!)

8) This thread was started as a camp update thread. Someone from Pioneer gave a camp update.

9) If you are truly interested in Drum Corps, sponsor a kid to march. I have a mello that would love to join Pioneer that would be glad to be sponsored right now. Also have a contra, sop, bari and a guard member who are interested. What keeps them from marching? Money. Feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to get you in contact with these kids who have the desire and the talent, but need financial help to make this possible. (For those that are counting, that's 4 MORE brass players and a guard member..... all from the South.)

10) Point a kid to Pioneer. Like I said somewhere else on another thread, we have plenty of equipment.

11) A few personal observations: Administratively, the corps is in great shape. Financially, the corps is in great shape. (No, not Star of Indiana or maybe some of the other big dawgs that have great financial incomes, but this corps is DEFINITELY in stable financial shape.) Atmosphere-wise, this corps took in this Southern boy and made him feel like he was part of the family from the moment I first got off the plane in Milwaukee. Food wise - This corps eats well. (An army marches on their stomachs or something like that.) Member wise - The students at Pioneer are some of the hardest working kids I've ever been around. Period. Staff wise - I can say that one of the highlights of this past weekend was sitting in a classroom with the other caption heads working on show design, seeing them getting as excited as I was getting. These are some first class professionals that are with this corps for the long haul. I'm proud to be a part of that.

Camp update over. Corps update over. Have questions? Contact Pioneer:

From the Pioneer Website: www.pioneer-corps.org

You may contact the corps at any time by the following means:

By Email: dbcpmilw@execpc.com

By Mail: 4601 W. Holt Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53219

By Phone: (414) 327-2847

Corps Cell: (414) 333-2235

Corps Fax: (414) 543-8289

Part of the solution or the problem????? It's a choice.

Well said Bobby, maybe those hundreds of kids who show up at other camps who have no chance of making it could be directed to another corps in good faith.

Good luck Pioneer!

Well said Bobby, maybe those hundreds of kids who show up at other camps who have no chance of making it could be directed to another corps in good faith.

Good luck Pioneer!

I couldn't agree more. I've seen Pioneer out on tour many times and they really do many things quite well. They have always struck me as a class organization in many ways. For the many talented kids that were narrowly cut from some other corps, Pioneer would offer a great summer experience.