Minnesota drum corps

Minnesota / MBI  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Does the presence of Minnesota Brass make the Minnesota area difficult to cultivate a D1 corps?

• It makes it hard. MBI is really good, and has become the local option
    • MBI is good, but it only makes it a little more difficult to start a corps in MN
    • Not at all. MBI kicks butt, but there's no effect or drawback to starting a corps in MN because of MBI
    • The ONLY option in that region would be if MBI started a junior corps itself

Personally, I'd love to see another junior corps in Minnesota. Maybe even resurrect one of my alma maters (Rivermen or Blue Knights)

Or the Mounties...... :laugh:

I can speak about this topic as I have seen it from a staff and member perspective. Many staff members in "Brass" highly encourage younger members to march in Div. 1 corps before they choose marching in Brass. With so many quality corps in the Midwest it can be quite a daunting task to narrow your choices. Many of the members from recent past in Brass come from Madison. With the Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, Cavaliers, Colts and Blue Stars in a somewhat close proximity to the Twin Cities area there are many options for younger members to pursue their corps of choice.

One other factor to consider is that MBI also has a more flexible schedule (though a weekly schedule) that allows for members to maintain a day job and still participate in the activity on Wednesday evenings as well as some weekends. This option does interest a few younger members in the activity with parents that may not be able to afford to have their children pay excessive corps dues for marching a full summer.

Now, there are some younger members that get their feet wet in marching MBI and eventually go off to march a Div 1 corps. Most of them choose Madison or Regiment, but a few have gone on to march the Blue Devils, Bluecoats and even Cadets. Getting some experience in the activity is always looked upon with favor for getting into "The big time". Potential members with no corps experience will have to make a favorable impression on the staff members at the corps they are auditioning for in order to get a spot. Most applications ask for "Prior Drum Corps Experience" and marching in MBI can sway a vote in their favor. Experience is experience. Marching in a Div III corps or a senior (all-age) corps gives each member marching experience. Some units are more competitive than others, but the experience is almost identical.

With the Blue Stars having hosting their camps at Irondale High School, now provides a number of students with the option of marching a quality drum corps within driving distance in the state of Minnesota. Not to mention that it is serviced by an international airport, so getting to camps is not a problem. Having served as Brass Caption head from the Blue Stars in 2002-2003 I can see why the corps had some issues in obtaining members being based in LaCrosse. Location was a slight issue, but other than that, there was the growing issue of facilities to house the corps for camps and "Move-Ins". Rehearsing at the Octoberfest-Grounds in LaCrosse helped give us some valueable time on a parking lot for many weeks during the summer, but nothing beats rehearsing on Grass...especially those with ankle or knee injuries.

With MBI and the Blue Stars sharing the Twin Cities area, I do not see any growing concern for the two organizations to assist each other on and off the field. MBI can be a feeder to the Blue Stars and vice versa.

We are all in this together.

FCO...

For all we know...

SUTA!

I think if anything it would just make it harder for MBI to find younger members

I was with a rather small senior corps for a year before I went off and did 3 years of junior corps. Mostly guys who had marched in the late 60s through 80s. Nothing was more educational than that one year with a senior corps, especially in terms of knowing the history and the context of the activity a young person is walking into. This kind of history and context is often lacking in some corps/ members, IMHO.