Minnesota drum corps

Minnesota / MBI  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Does the presence of Minnesota Brass make the Minnesota area difficult to cultivate a D1 corps?

• It makes it hard. MBI is really good, and has become the local option
    • MBI is good, but it only makes it a little more difficult to start a corps in MN
    • Not at all. MBI kicks butt, but there's no effect or drawback to starting a corps in MN because of MBI
    • The ONLY option in that region would be if MBI started a junior corps itself

Minnesota Brass, Inc. kicks a lot of boo-tay. I think we'd all agree. I think we could also agree that Minnesota is fertile midwest drum corps grounds. All of the junior shows there are proof of this. But does MBI get in the way of a junior corps getting out there? If so, how much?

Thoughts? Minnesotans, take the mic..uh...I mean, shout from your soapbox!

Would there be junior corps in any number of eastern cities if there weren't all-age corps in places such as Reading? I doubt it.

I want to see more DCI corps start up. I also want to see more DCA corps start up.

I personally don't care what their age limit is. The world needs more drum corps.

I voted for

MBI is good, but it only makes it a little more difficult to start a corps in MN

From being in Chops, and trying to recruit people in this area, I have heard several times "If I were to join a corps, it would be Brass." This might be a little different if it was a junior corps trying to recruit people, I'm not sure. But I do think that Brass' size and reputation does affect the corps around them.

Would there be junior corps in any number of eastern cities if there weren't all-age corps in places such as Reading? I doubt it.

I want to see more DCI corps start up. I also want to see more DCA corps start up.

I personally don't care what their age limit is. The world needs more drum corps.

:blink::laugh: I must say that it is really nice to see a positive "cross-over" post about DCI and DCA! :laugh::laugh:

It gets really old hearing the same negative comments about who does what and why that isnt really drum corps; or those guys are just oldtimers that cant do it as good anymore; etc. I may not agree with the direction DCI has gone in the past 10-12 years, and I will even voice that in nonbashing way. Others do not agree with DCA and how they are stuck in the past. Either way, I still enjoy drum corps shows and will continue to go to DCI shows and continue to march a DCA corps.

The comment above, "The world needs more drum corps", is great and we could all stand to live by this and support each others organizations for what they are and put aside the negativity. That would truely be best for the activity.

I am glad MBI is a great corps, but a DCI corps (I dont like the term "junior" just like I dont like "senior") in that area could be great also.

I would not limit it to just Brass. There is also Chops, Govies, and Blue Stars (a mere 2 hours away in La Crosse, but rehearses in the Twin Cities during the winter). There is quite a bit of good drum corps to be had in the Twin Cities and surrounding areas. But I honestly do not think this limits opportunities for another junior corps.

Brass existed while the St. Paul Scouts, then Blue Knights, then St. Croix Rivermen existed, and they didn't really compete for members. The groups catered to different folks in different circumstances.

Personally, I'd love to see another junior corps in Minnesota. Maybe even resurect one of my alma maters (Rivermen or Blue Knights)

Edited by SkyRyder_FMM

For all practical purposes, the Blue Stars could be considered a Minneapolis based DCI DIV 1 corps. Although they are out of Lacrosse, WI, the Blue Stars hold their winter camps in Irondale,MN which is a suburb of the twin cities. Lacrosse itself basically sits on the border between Wisconsin and Minnesota. Many a fine musician from Minnesota has chosen the Blue Stars as their home. I had some recent exposure to several of their camps this season as a volunteer, and all I can say is they are a first class organization from their Director to the caption heads and the volunteers. I met a lot of great people. My son ended up signing with another corps, but I would highly recommned Blue Stars to anyone in Minnesota looking a Junior Corps.

For the record, I hope that my post & poll doesn't come across negatively. I agree with Michael to the extent that the world needs more drum corps. Hopefully it's not about negativity; I just wanted to judge the impact of a successful DCA corps on a region related to a junior startup.

For the record, I hope that my post & poll doesn't come across negatively. I agree with Michael to the extent that the world needs more drum corps. Hopefully it's not about negativity; I just wanted to judge the impact of a successful DCA corps on a region related to a junior startup.

I didnt take it as a negative at all and didnt think that is where you were going with this. It was just nice to see that positive comment and not the usual us against them rethoric so I had to say that.

Startup or division I?

I think the Blue Stars demonstrate that division I and MBI can coexist. But then again, the development of three stable all-age corps in Minnesota has been pretty impressive in itself. Apparently, MBI's success does not prohibit development of other units in their neighborhood.

interesting question that we occassionally talk about ourselves. I think the Blue Stars organization and expansion in recent years shows that quality will always attract, no matter where you are. it depends who your target membership is. Now that the Blue Stars give all indications of being a powerhouse in the making, the question seems a bit moot. they really are very close to the twin cites.

good question would be, can this population base support another corps in addition?

drum corps in this part of the country is very strong these days: MBI, Chops and Govies both at the top of DCA class A, Kilties happily making steady progress in design and performance(Finals 2007! Count on it!), Blue Stars wowing the world last season, with the some GREAT people on staff, Scouts looking very interesting this year.

looking forward to the summer!

more corps=good