As if things couldn't get any worse....

Toe

Ok...let's see...

Why were the instruments still in the truck?

-- Kiwanis went inactive in late January. Paradox Percussion Theatre is (was) still using equipment from the truck.

-- Storage is too expensive per month...like previously stated

-- We don't have basements in Miami.

The truck was parked in a place where someone HAD to be watching as equipment was being loaded or unloaded. Also, the fact that it says "KIWANIS KAVALIERS DRUM & BUGLE CORPS " on the side didn't help either.

Down here in Miami...or the Hialeah/Miami Lakes area, people will break into a car to steal a cell phone charger....or change out of your ashtray. Someone assumed there would be expensive drums in the truck and found the jackpot.

Those of you looking for a quick chuckle by posting about what key the horns are, or this or that...Please do not post on here. I'll be posting updates as we get them...just..Have a little more respect.

You all already had your fun when the corps was having its trouble before going inactive. This is more serious.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry if you think that I'm looking to get Kiwanis. In fact, I apologized for that when I first mentioned it. However, I have legitimate questions.

-- Kiwanis went inactive in late January. Paradox Percussion Theatre is (was) still using equipment from the truck.
That explains the drums, but not the horns. Unless PPT is a Blast!-like group, and not the Winter Drumline I'm picturing. If I'm wrong, then I apologize again.
-- Storage is too expensive per month...like previously stated

-- We don't have basements in Miami.

It rests on KK's new Board of Directors to have taken that into account when they cut all ties with Kitchener and tried resuming the corps. The original plan was to keep the instruments in the truck year-round? Especially when Miami is apparently a hotbed for thievery?
Have a little more respect ... You all already had your fun when the corps was having its trouble before going inactive. This is more serious.
Don't get me wrong for a second. I hope you catch those responsible and get them sent away for a good long time. I don't find this even a little bit funny. I'm merely suggesting that with a little more planning on the part of KK, a portion of this nightmare could have been avoided.

I'm sorry if you think that I'm looking to get Kiwanis. In fact, I apologized for that when I first mentioned it. However, I have legitimate questions.

That explains the drums, but not the horns. Unless PPT is a Blast!-like group, and not the Winter Drumline I'm picturing. If I'm wrong, then I apologize again.

It rests on KK's new Board of Directors to have taken that into account when they cut all ties with Kitchener and tried resuming the corps. The original plan was to keep the instruments in the truck year-round? Especially when Miami is apparently a hotbed for thievery?

Don't get me wrong for a second. I hope you catch those responsible and get them sent away for a good long time. I don't find this even a little bit funny. I'm merely suggesting that with a little more planning on the part of KK, a portion of this nightmare could have been avoided.

Just leave them alone OUTrumprano

Man..I just had a bad thought...

Could they be trying to ship these instruments overseas? The thieves could have been looking for something like this to send to a second-party client who has a buyer. There is a lot more marching activity in other countries than you would think (i.e.; the Thailand link recently with the bands and DC's in that country...boy, was I surprised!!!) where these instruments could not be traced.

I just hope if that is the case the trail comes up quickly...otherwise they won't be found. Check the shipping companies...and hope for a break. :(

What corps out there store their instruments somewhere other than the truck during the winter? Every corps I've been around keeps them on the truck year round.

I'm curious to see if this isn't normal.

OU, I agree something doesn't add up, but be careful not to appear to be running their nose. They've had a very difficult time of it, no matter what the org situation has been over the last few months. Don't hold their past posts here as part of this. I think they erred in some handlings in the past, but theft is always one of the things that looks silly in hindsight. Why didn't this or that. No one would ever have anything stolen if they acted with appropriate safeguards with their things, but those safeguards aren't always clear in advance. The taunting still seems very odd, but nonetheless, no one ever sets out to get a headache like this.

As I stated, I also agree that something doesn't add up. HOWEVER, I am by no means rubbing it in the KK or Paradox face and am by no means saying it was someone connected with either group. But I think we should all be able to agree that this wasn't a random thought of "Hey, lets open that random white truck with the words drum on the side and see if there's anything in there! Oh look, drums! Good thing we brought a bunch of trucks and a box van!". I really think that this was a thought out plan, again having been such an active member of THAT truck. It would have taken ME, and say even 4 of my friends who knew nothing about it at least 10 minutes to clean it out like that. 10 minutes is a LOT of time in robbery. I learned that watching that tv show on Discovery where the thieves break into peoples houses and businesses to show them how easy it could be. But please know, I am NOT accusing anyone currently associated with Paradox or KK.

As far as corps storing equipment on trucks during the offseason.. I've always kind of known it as a split. A lot corps that I know of have a corps hall or storage place but I believe those that rehearse at many different locations and such would probably end up having to leave the truck with equipment somewhere in a compound. The only thing I would assume is that its in a lot with video cameras and such. Any chance there was video?

The trailer was parked in the back of a school. Inside their drivers ed lot. Ina s etion where it is also used as a parking lot for teachers of the school. Noone noticed the back doors completely wide open until 2pm.

There is 1 camera pointed at the entrance of the drivers ed lot. The trailer cannot be seen from the highway (I-75) because it is blocked by trees. The only way someone can know there was a Trailer back there, was if they had been scoping it out for a while.

And yes...most corps leave their equipment in their trailers year round. Theyre just parked in safe, well lit, secured facilities.