Reasons why drum corps kicks butt

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

coming home buff and tan when all your buddies are white, weak and fat.

How about coming home and everyone you know asking you if you bleached your hair light blonde? :P

How about everytime you smell diesel exhaust - and the memories come back.

Or

how you aways look at busses and semis when they pass to see if they are from a corps

or

When you're going to a show and you can hear the drums from really far away, and as you get closser you can hear the hornlines, and you see the members going about their business, and the crowd of like minded fans.

Every time I am at a band contest, I ALWAYS go to the lot, just to smell the diesal exhaust and hear the lines warming up. Not as good as corps, but good enough to satisfy me.

I look at busses everytime I pass them on the interstate, but most of the time they are just Greyhound. I do remember last summer when i could not march, my family took a trip to Denver and on the way we stopped in Chicago (we took Amtrak). While we are eating on the Navy Pier, both The Cadets and Crossmen pull up. I have never ran out of a restraunt that fast. I do not usually look at the trucks, there are just to many.

Now to add my own...

How about at band practice, and you are at attention and you get called out because you look much more intemidating and the BD calls everyone to look more like you and you think, I look like this because i marched corps.

Or when the BD tells you not to keep your legs as straight when you march because nobody else can do it and it will take off points.

How about hearing those releases and practically flawless timbre of The Cavaliers hornline in the 2000, 2002, and 2006 ballads, and thinking how you wouldn't be able to listen to another hornline under the same regards again. Then deciding you wanted to be a part of this, tried out for a team, made it, got hyped, got to spring training and your whole perception of drum corps and the world in general is turned upside down as you tell yourself 'its not worth it' under the weight of your horn at carry in basics at 8 in the morning. But you decide you don't want to face people back at home if you quit, so you push through, almost lose your marching spot to an alternate but gain it back eventually, and around july you finally start looking forward to waking up and doing this your whole day, as you realize many people are going through the same pain. Long story made longer, lol, you are marching in your block onto the field for your performance in DCI finals, and the only thing going through your head is 'i am so glad i did this, normal people do NOT get to do as amazing things as I what im about to do right now'. After everything is done and the scores are announced, your parents are in the parking lot finally ready to bring you back home and you tell them to hold on, because saying goodbye to all your friends is NOT going to be something you'll be able to accomplish in less than an hour and without at least shedding a tear.

wow, i definitely didn't expect to ramble, and i commend anyone who read the whole thing through, and i dont even remember the original question... oh yeah... THAT IS WHY DRUM CORPS KICKS BUTT!! B)

----------------

username outdated, marched div 1 06

Sitting with fellow high school band members gawking over drum corps shows that our director brings in on DVD and being able to say "yeah...I did that". (Of course Div III isn't exactly Div I but still)

Audition time. Watch the kids. You can tell the difference between the ones coming directly from band and the ones with prior Drum Corps experience in a heartbeat.

I always loved those moments after shows, where everyone's walking around in the quickly-increasing-darkness, relaxing and maybe enjoying some red drink and cookies from the food truck, the sound of a couple horn players and a lot of drummers hacking to try and get that one difficult lick a bit cleaner, just being able to enjoy the nice cool air (relatively speaking) before settling down onto the bus for a long ride to the housing site or another show. It's basically the calmest point of the day during drum corps season, and the best time to just sit back and relax, reflect on the day or mentally prepare yourself for tomorrow.