Drum Corps Survivor - 2006

siLk

Drum Corps Survivor - Round 2  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Which corps do you want to vote off the island?

• Phantom Regiment
    • Blue Devils
    • Bluecoats
    • The Cadets
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Blue Knights
    • Carolina Crown
    • Madison Scouts
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Glassmen
    • Spirit from JSU

Bluecoats got my vote. Way over hyped show.

Cheers, :doh:

Sean

w/Stp:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who don't know what they're talking about make me laugh.

Bias as a result of rivalry between marching members is far more than mere pettiness, and it exists whether you believe it or not. Once you march, you can never again give a wholly objective opinion of the activity or groups therein. The experiences you have standing in the ranks of your corps forever molds your opinion of the activity.

Neither of you marched, so I don't expect you to truly know about this. You may think you know, but you didn't march, so you don't. Perhaps you shouldn't speak so adamantly about something you KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

I don't have firsthand knowledge of intercorps rivalries, but it doesn't take firsthand experience to know that allowing a rivalry to prevent you from enjoying the efforts of your fellow marchers is unquestionably petty. I have firsthand knowledge of the IU-Purdue rivalry, and yet some of my best friends went to Purdue. I have firsthand knowledge of a rivalry in the marching arts, as I've stood in ranks next to a hated in-state rival as they topped our band at BOA National Finals. I hated that group for a long time, but you know what? I grew out of it. I realized that the only thing different between me and members of that band was the school district we happened to attend. I'll allow that drum corps can have far more specific cultures, but forgive me if I think the idea of holding a grudge against a fellow member of this activity, just because that person chose a different corps, is awfully petty. (of course, voting on a poll on DCP is the very definition of petty, so maybe petty biases are to be expected.)

Edited by Maedhros

I don't have firsthand knowledge of intercorps rivalries, but it doesn't take first-hand experience to know that allowing a rivalry to lead to the outright hatred that you are attempting to justify is unquestionably petty. I have firsthand knowledge of the IU-Purdue rivalry, and yet some of my best friends went to Purdue. I have firsthand knowledge of a rivalry in the marching arts, as I've stood in ranks next to a hated in-state rival as they topped our band at BOA National Finals. I hated that group for a long time, but you know what? I grew out of it. I realized that the only thing different between me and members of that band was the school district we happened to attend. I'll allow that drum corps can have far more specific cultures, but forgive me if I think the idea of holding a grudge against a fellow member of this activity, just because that person chose a different corps, is awfully petty. (of course, voting on a poll on DCP is the very definition of petty, so maybe petty biases are to be expected.)

Man I think your bringing up Bands of America pretty much proved his point. You don't have a clue. Not a clue at all.

On another note, who was trying to justify "outright hatred." Where the heck did that even come up?

(of course, voting on a poll on DCP is the very definition of petty, so maybe petty biases are to be expected.)

I agree with most of your post except the idea of a vote being petty.. Has political correctness reached a point where we aren't even suppose to "voice" an opinion? :lolhit:

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I don't have firsthand knowledge of intercorps rivalries, but it doesn't take first-hand experience to know that allowing a rivalry to lead to the outright hatred that you are attempting to justify is unquestionably petty. I have firsthand knowledge of the IU-Purdue rivalry, and yet some of my best friends went to Purdue. I have firsthand knowledge of a rivalry in the marching arts, as I've stood in ranks next to a hated in-state rival as they topped our band at BOA National Finals. I hated that group for a long time, but you know what? I grew out of it. I realized that the only thing different between me and members of that band was the school district we happened to attend. I'll allow that drum corps can have far more specific cultures, but forgive me if I think the idea of holding a grudge against a fellow member of this activity, just because that person chose a different corps, is awfully petty. (of course, voting on a poll on DCP is the very definition of petty, so maybe petty biases are to be expected.)

WHERE DID I MENTION "HATRED"???

You said that you found personal biases laughable, and I replied to that asinine remark.

If you want to reply to my post, reply to what I actually said, not other random thoughts you come up with.

Bias as a result of rivalry between marching members is far more than mere pettiness, and it exists whether you believe it or not. Once you march, you can never again give a wholly objective opinion of the activity or groups therein. The experiences you have standing in the ranks of your corps forever molds your opinion of the activity.

Neither of you marched, so I don't expect you to truly know about this. You may think you know, but you didn't march, so you don't. Perhaps you shouldn't speak so adamantly about something you KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

The same goes for a couple others on here that love to speak of traditions and rivalries but base their opinion completely off videos watched, a couple parking lots visited, or a week volunteered on a food truck. Stop living vicariously through others and limit your superflous commentary to things you have the knowledge to speak on.

kas,

I speak adamantly about things that I witness with my own two eyes and ears. I am careful to use the words "I think" -- as this is an opinion board, that's what we do here. Maybe when you live a day or two in my body and walk in my shoes, perhaps YOU can speak adamantly about what "I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT" -- until then, I recommend you express what you have to say about what I do or do not know as an OPINION -- not as fact. You have no idea what I know or don't know.. and you come off as a pompous punk to presume otherwise.

DCP is a discussion board. We come together here to discuss. If you don't like reading what someone has to say, skip the post or click ignore. It's very simple, really.

And quite frankly, if some vaunted rivalry occupies more time for someone than the two and a half seconds it takes to click a choice in a poll, click "submit" then laugh to themselves at how clever they are, then I pity them in the worst way.

Lata!

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

WHERE DID I MENTION "HATRED"???

You said that you found personal biases laughable, and I replied to that asinine remark.

If you want to reply to my post, reply to what I actually said, not other random thoughts you come up with.

My language was too strong, I apologize and have corrected the remark.

kas,

I speak adamantly about things that I witness with my own two eyes and ears. I am careful to use the words "I think" -- as this is an opinion board, that's what we do here. Maybe when you live a day or two in my body and walk in my shoes, perhaps YOU can speak adamantly about what "I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT" -- until then, I recommend you express what you have to say about what I do or do not know as an OPINION -- not as fact. You have no idea what I know or don't know.. and you come off as a pompous punk to presume otherwise.

DCP is a discussion board. We come together here to discuss. If you don't like reading what someone has to say, skip the post or click ignore. It's very simple, really.

And quite frankly, if some vaunted rivalry occupies more time for someone than the two and a half seconds it takes to click a choice in a poll, click "submit" then laugh to themselves at how clever they are, then I pity them in the worst way.

Lata!

Stef

Yes, I agree that we all have the freedom to say whatever we want. That doesn't change the fact that it is obnoxious when you and others speak about what you "think" of subject matter that you entirely lack the experience to discuss. Hmm... perhaps I'll wander over to the quantum physics message board and convince them that my opinion is credible simply because I served scientists lunch for a week.

If you pity me "in the worst way," what am I supposed to think of someone whose life revolves around living vicariously through others on an internet message board? If that isn't the definition of "pitiful," its awful close.

Yes, I agree that we all have the freedom to say whatever we want. That doesn't change the fact that it is obnoxious when you and others speak about what you "think" of subject matter that you entirely lack the experience to discuss. Hmm... perhaps I'll wander over to the quantum physics message board and convince them that my opinion is credible simply because I served scientists lunch for a week.

If you pity me "in the worst way," what am I supposed to think of someone whose life revolves around living vicariously through others on an internet message board? If that isn't the definition of "pitiful," its awful close.

and with that, I'm afraid this topic is getting way off hand.