The Death of DCI

Likely you were watching Sesame Street back then, not drum corps, but let's say Star '93 was judged on audience reaction? They would be in 87th place.

No, they'd probably still be in 2nd. I'm just saying I think audience reaction should be factored into the GE points...certainly it shouldn't be the basis for a corps' score.

Listen, I don't see what's so "childish and immature" about having viewpoints that not very many other people share. I'm pretty sure I've never onced personally attacked anyone with opposing views like has happened to me. I have my opinions about drum corps, and I'm going to share them, and if you want to tell me I'm "on mushrooms" and "immature" for having them, go right ahead. Just be aware that I've never consider doing the same to you.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were plenty of people cheering like crazy in Madison, as there are every year.

That was for the Madison Scouts Alumni Reuinion Corps! :grouphug:

J/K b**bs

Last time I saw, DCI was on ESPN2, and will be for years...

The first E in ESPN stands for entertainment.

I rest my case.

Well, before you go ranting about the E is for entertainment, you should understand the ESPN said they were dropping the "entertainment" portion of their program many years ago and focussing soley on sports. Now you might say that spelling bees and the Scrabble championships are not sports, I would agree. However, ESPN has publicly stated that they dropped the "entertainment" portion of their programing. That was like 15-20 years ago.

So much for resting your case. Know the facts before you rest your case.

DCI is not dying, at least not anytime soon, and I can say that I am very happy about that!

No, DCI is not dying. Drum corps as I love it is dying. There are many who feel the same way. There are many who don't.

210164224_l.jpg

1069844410_l.jpg

I'm sure all the people in those stands are paying large sums of money to be "bored" at a drum corps show.

Compare those pictures to the pictures from '85, '86' 87. You will find there were thousands more in the stands.

Hey, I am old enough to remember going to the DCI office in Villa Park to pick up my records.

I do not agree with the OP. There have been people complaining about DCI since the very beginning. Face it, they have been the biggest, most obvious target (lightning rod?) out there for all these years.

It is all DCI's fault. They are responsible for anything bad that has ever happened in the drum corps activity.

As a matter of fact, DCI is responsible for:

a. the death of drum corps as we know it.

b. making it rain inside the Georgia Dome.

c. the death of drum corps as we knew it.

d. all of the economic, societal and demographic changes that have occurred in North America since 1972.

e. the death of drum corps as we would like to think we remember it.

f. my personal happiness.

g. all of the above.

And apparently, according to this thread, it is now the death of DCI.

Boy, I sure hope not. I saw a lot of great drum corps last year at all levels and I was kinda hoping to do it again this summer.

You left out the Kennedy assassination :grouphug: b**bs

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

:grouphug:

So should I...change my views? Because clearly these are views I shouldn't hold. I think that there is objectivity to what is good music. I think audience reaction should be judged. I think all arrangements should be approved before they are allowed to be performed. I'm sorry if I sound arrogant for stating what I think.

That's OK. You have as much right as anyone to be 100% wrong. :P

This is very disturbing to me. I'm not trying to say your implying this but if you follow the logic of your Scouts example

you would have to conclude that the Scouts were not sucessful because they played crowd pleasing shows??

This would mean judges have a bias against such shows. (This is just for the purpose of discussion, I don't believe this)

Could it be that the Scouts just didn't perform their show up to the standards of what it takes to make finals?

Because if that isn't the case, one would have to believe there is some sort of evil plot between DCI & the judges to

wipe out "crowd pleasing shows" Personally, I don't like the direction many corps are going but I'm hopeing it's not

because of some sort of colusion between DCI & judges.

Well, if the judging system rewarded that type of show more, more corps would write that type of show, which would be my preference by far. However, that was not and is not the case. Scott's philosophy was the crowd comes first. The Scouts shows were not designed to win, but to thrill the crowds. That is why they fell and the crowds booed their placement every time. New management came in and the scores have gone up, however, they are not the crowd thrillers they were a decade ago.

Well, if the judging system rewarded that type of show more, more corps would write that type of show, which would be my preference by far. However, that was not and is not the case. Scott's philosophy was the crowd comes first. The Scouts shows were not designed to win, but to thrill the crowds. That is why they fell and the crowds booed their placement every time. New management came in and the scores have gone up, however, they are not the crowd thrillers they were a decade ago.

At DCI East in 2002...I heard no chorus of boos for their low placement. The folks around me, who I did not know, were more kind of surprised (not in a good way) by their performance level than anything.