Top Posters In This Topic

...Who had the best "Celebration Suite?"

Here's your choices (thanks corpsreps.com):

1977 Fox Valley Raiders

1977 Oakland Crusaders

1977 Royal Brigade

1977 Saints

1977 Wausau Story

The Kingsmen and VK were both from the city of Anaheim in Orange County. At one point, their corps halls were across the street from each other.

VK was from Santa Ana. Our director, Jack B. was from Anaheim.

VK was from Santa Ana. Our director, Jack B. was from Anaheim.

VK was from a lot of places. The original charter based the corps in Buena Park. That's where our sponsoring VFW post was. We were in Santa Ana when I joined, but the corps offices moved to Anaheim around 74 or 75, and were right across the street from the Kingsmen.

The offices moved a couple of times within Anaheim in the 70's, and the corps had that practice field right next to the King factory for several years in the late 70's. They moved to the last corps hall/bingo facility in 1980.

I can't remember the year, but VK was announced as being sponsored by a VFW post in Iowa for the California State VFW competition when the Buena Park post pulled their sponsorship.

Garry

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Dubuque Colts and Watkins Glen Squires had complete uniform changes IIRC....... :blink:

That was also the year that Wausau Story changed from grey red and blue cadet-styled uniforms to the lime green front-blue back Spanish style.

...Who had the best "Pagliacci?"

...Whose drumline's solo was "Tico Tico?"

...Who had the best "Echano?"

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Although this is a DCI thread my vote goes to The Hawthorne Caballeros!!!

Edited by George82

That was also the year that Wausau Story changed from grey red and blue cadet-styled uniforms to the lime green front-blue back Spanish style.

Sorry....I forgot about that. :blink: You guys stole the corps colors of the Stevens Point Centralaires.

VK was from a lot of places. The original charter based the corps in Buena Park. That's where our sponsoring VFW post was. We were in Santa Ana when I joined, but the corps offices moved to Anaheim around 74 or 75, and were right across the street from the Kingsmen.

The offices moved a couple of times within Anaheim in the 70's, and the corps had that practice field right next to the King factory for several years in the late 70's. They moved to the last corps hall/bingo facility in 1980.

I can't remember the year, but VK was announced as being sponsored by a VFW post in Iowa for the California State VFW competition when the Buena Park post pulled their sponsorship.

Garry

Yep, I am thinking of the bingo hall from the 80's. That had to be the smokiest room I was ever in!!! I remember working bingo there and having to come outside "for air" because my eyes burnt so much.

:drool:

The BLUE STARS were VFW champions in 77. I still don't know how they beat Cavies.

Ya, me too. I think that although we broke the 7th place curse just a few days before at DCI, it showed its ugly head in Minn.

The Argonauts won VFW in 1975, the Cavilers in 1976 and Blue Stars in 77. I wasn't very much fun defending the title in 1976 against the Cavies. We had to perform after them, and sadly we were not in their legue.

That night in 76 was an interesting night for the Cavaliers. Several things happened to us:

1) We BARELY beat Garfield that night by .20. But it's interesting that a few days later we took 5th at DCI prelims and they took 14th beating them by 5 points. Crazy. Of course, we are talking about apples and oranges when talking about DCI and VFW.

2) Our famously confused bus drivers got lost on the way to the stadium that night. Where did we end up? Well, Harlem of course. Three bus loads of mostly white guys in Harlem. We got some interesting looks from the locals.

3) Considering all the hooha between the Cavaliers and Muchachos that year and the year before, someone had the bright idea of placing us next to them in finale. Some words were spoken. Things became even more tense in the parking lot afterwords. Fortunetly, cooler heads prevailed (our management) and nothing happened. Thank goodness.