Drum Corps Bloopers - Classic Moments

baja

Also, look at that one snare player at the very end of the show (you know who I'm talking about). He looks like he wants to eat one of the babies the crowd was throwing for that show...

funny you mention that one... just a few nights ago a few friends and i watched that show. Watched the ending on slow motion about... oh... 12 times before it wasnt hilarious anymore. B)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna show my age, but there was a very famous picture from the late 60's/early 70's of a horn player marching back field, holding his horn up in one hand while desperately trying to pull up his pants from around his knees with the other hand b**bs . I think it was printed in either Drum Corps News or Drum Corps Pagent (?).

God I hope that wasn't me! That happened to me during my very first Drum Corps show with the Wausau Story in 1976. At least the underwear I had on kinda matched the uniform :blink:

Yeah, the guy who told me was in BD, so he could've just been making stuff up, and you would obviously know better than me.

There was a big train wreck in 99 in Denver but it wasn't Cadets. Give me a couple of hours and it'll come back to me at my advanced age.

July, 1977 Oswego, NY :

Soprano player from Cadets of Greece (NY) pants came off over the course of many counts of high leg lift - crowd saw it coming for quite a while.

Pants completely off with about 3 minutes left in the show. Crowd went ballistic.

He didn't flinch, didn't break, just kept on hypin' right til the end of the show ("What I Did for Love - One Singular Sensation" was the exit) - trooped the stands and everything.

Very focused cat... name withheld to protect what's left of his privacy.

I'm pretty sure we beat the Fulton Gouchos in GE that day.

Somebody might know if there's video (8mm).

Along that note, one you'll never see on DVD or tape (thank god) in 2005 in Wyoming during rehearsel, a female horn player lost her bikini bottoms during a run thru. Her name and the corps ID is being withheld also to protect their privacy as well. But she was a good sport about it somehow.

Two things...

1. There was a set of pics in Drum Corps World after one of the Birmingham DCI Worlds (79 or 80) when it was so hot that people were passing out on the field...one after another. There was even a soloist from one of the corps that played their solo; turned around, and hit the turf IMMEDIATELY.

All of this caught on film.

2. There were situation with Troop where for at least two shows in a row where the DM (John Masterson) gets NAILED by a rifle in the suicide circle. In the same place.

THAT place. By the same person...and it was caught on tape. Somehow he manages to complete the show.

I do not know how he did it; but he kept his gun in his holster...

The year: 2003

The Venue: The Alamo Dome in San Antonio, TX

A BD tenor's carrier broke and the drum came off during the roto-tom section. He stepped to the side and fixed the drum. Then, during another move, the same player fell and broke the drum again. He tried to fix the drum, but kept getting in the way of the other drill sets. So, he walked over to about the right 20 and tried to fix the drum. The show went on and ENDED and he's still trying to fix the drum. He then just gave up, noticing the show was over, and walked over to hi spot and held his drum up.

A Cavalier contra tripped and fell in a very tight set. He was rolling around on the ground, scrambling to get up and stay out of everyone else's way. Then he managed to roll up into his spot at the exact moment that a block halt hit.

Think it was Madison 02(?) - at a smaller show, there was a contra pile-up. Instruments and people went everywhere, and afterward they all just scrambled to pick up any horn and continue. They had mud stains on their pants from that for a day or two.

Cavaliers - forget the year - they were doing a show in a baseball stadium...and someone neglected to remove the pitchers mound. Bad trainwreck there.

Ames Field, Michigan City, IN. The mound was there for years so pick a year and/or corps who fell victim to The Mound of Ames.

It wouldn't be Michigan City. The terrain of that stadium (both the old and new one built on the same grounds...only ten miles from where I live) is as flat as a pancake.

The only big hill I am aware of is in Whitewater.

03 - A BD tenor's carrier broke and the drum came off during the roto-tom section.

Happened to a PR tenor player at our homeshow that same year. The poor guy didn't know what to do, so he stopped playing and held his drum up with his arms for nearly the ENTIRE SHOW. People in the stands were confussed as to why he wasn't playing, but it's hard to knock a guy for that kind of heart.