Drum Corps Rivalries

I remember reading somewhere that the vets would teach the new guys how to sharpen the edges of the buckle, so that they could use it as a weapon in such altercations.

Not sure about the sharpening. Maybe the pshyco's from the 50's and 60's did this but I was taught by a vet in '76 how to wrap the belt around by hand so that the buckle can properly be used and not break my hand.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, there's probably a few rivalries still left out there. Nothing like the old "fist fights in the parking lot" scenario though.

Can't play if you get popped in the jaw these days! Back in the 70's...better not go there!

Phantom Regiment and Cavaliers--undoubtedly. Had a lot to do with the masculine (ironic?) nature of the Cavies shows compared to the Phantom Regiement's classical style--gotta love the guard! Then there's the difference in the guards, come to think of it! Then like Hydra said, there's proximity--you see each other in early season every night--especially back in the DCM days.

When I finally got to march PR I thought SCV would be their big rival because of the whole '89 thing, and close placements a couple of years since. That wasn't a big deal. But the Cavaliers!

Funny story I'm sure I've told before. We didn't catch Cavaliers in '94 until semifinals. Our score was announced, and then theirs WHILE THEY WERE ON THE PICTURE STAND!! We held 3rd in finals. Boy, I'd love to see that picture if any of you guys have a copy you can download into your signature line!

You forgot 1982

Spirit 12th, Suncoast 13th

Ouch! Those are the things that make for rivalries. Then there was SkyRyders and Dutch Boy--88 and 91, I think, Sky knocked the Maple Leafs out of finals. Probably contributed to the present disdain for Americans felt in Canadian political circles!

Can somebody educate this simple trombonist as to how to do the fancy 'quotes' so I can use multiple quotes instead of double-posting???

Hey Mitch let me give you a little update on John Legget. He is still incredibly active in Drum Corps. He marches with the Syracuse Brigadiers actually he is one of the field conductors. He use to be on staff with the Troopers plus he was one of the Brass tech's with Pioneer a long time ago.

As for John...well lets just say he is stil pretty tough. I marched with the Brigs back in 05 and I actually stood up to him :drool: . Well it was a scary few moments :sos: . Just don't let him know that I was scared :) .

He is a very wonderful and loyal friend. If there is one thing you never do around John is insult the Cavaliers in front of him. He loves the Cavies and takes it very personal to this day. Your also never walk up to him and tell him that the Guardsmen was a much better corps...lol

So, after reading 14 pages of this thread, I have discovered that apparently NOBODY likes the Boston Crusaders and BAC HATES every corps in existence.....I've been around the activity for 30 years and I never knew this.

Enlightened discussion is so.....interesting! :)

As one poster said above, it's aparently a joke craiga, and meant to make you chuckle. Funny thing is..... it did.

I've been around even longer than 30 years, and BAC has always had to deal with that. Maybe it goes back to the 50's or early 60's when some guy clocked somebody from another corps in a parking lot somewhere (hey, those things happened back then). Drum Corps isn't much like that anymore and BAC is no exception, but I'll bet they still secretly enjoy the reputation. :P

Lets just say that in 50's and 60's the Boston Crusaders did not recruit most of their members from any College Band, Music Conservatory, nor the Berklee School of Music in Boston. Most didn't major in Music. They majored in Survival. And principally because of their Boston Crusaders marching years, many of the marching members not only survived...... they prospered.

There are some truly legendary rivalries in professional and collegiate sports, Duke/UNC, Cowboys/Niners, Sox/Yankees, Penn St/Ohio St

Does the drum corps community have anything to offer to this group of classic rivalries? Can we find rivalries like those above in drum corps?

Who? When? Why?

penn st./ohio st? make that Ohio State/Michigan...

I remember back in the early 80's that the Bluecoats and the Pride of Cincinnati had a rivalry thing goin' on...

Phantom Regiment and Cavaliers--undoubtedly. Had a lot to do with the masculine (ironic?) nature of the Cavies shows

Meaning...?

has anyone mentioned bluecoats/boston yet? i know that's been around since boston first made finals.

Hey Mitch let me give you a little update on John Legget. He is still incredibly active in Drum Corps. He marches with the Syracuse Brigadiers actually he is one of the field conductors. He use to be on staff with the Troopers plus he was one of the Brass tech's with Pioneer a long time ago.

As for John...well lets just say he is stil pretty tough. I marched with the Brigs back in 05 and I actually stood up to him :worthy: . Well it was a scary few moments :sos: . Just don't let him know that I was scared :) .

He is a very wonderful and loyal friend. If there is one thing you never do around John is insult the Cavaliers in front of him. He loves the Cavies and takes it very personal to this day. Your also never walk up to him and tell him that the Guardsmen was a much better corps...lol

Thank you very much for the update. That was great. If you remember, tell him I say HEY! If he remembers the short scraggly 3rd soprano known as Winston. Also, mention that there is a 60th dinner in 2008 in Rosemont he may wish to attend. It would be GREAT to catch up with him again. I'm 6'3" 220 now but I am sure I'll recognize him.