Drum Corps Rivalries

I think you may have disrespect confused with playful. We toured a lot with Cavies my rookie year back when there was retreat after every show, and they love to have fun. Be it handing out (or throwing) jolly ranchers, singing some pretty funny songs, or making the light saber noise when their drum major was counting off America o Canada with a glow stick.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

deleted

Edited by john2780

They must have been teached good. :P

Thank you ... I thought it was only me who paid attention in English when they taught grammer :blink:

Edited by john2780

I attended a Cavaliers camp in 1991 and one of the first things that Jeff Fiedler said at the meeting was "If you're here to audtion for that <funny but nasty description deleted> corps, it's about 40 miles that way...speaking, of course, of Phantom Regiment.

I attended a Phantom Regiment camp in 1994 and no mention of The Cavaliers was made.

BD/Cadets used to be a big rivalry, but they're happily in bed together now to morph DCI into BOA's summer division.

BD/SCV was not a fierce rivalry, except as was pointed out earlier - both corps LOVED to beat the other one. Especially at PP - the SCV home show. We actually used to get together after the evaluation show for a softball game. That was fun. I hosted an event that was called the Santa Concord Van Devils Party.

My best buddy when I was a member of the Blue Devils was the drum major of SCV - heck, I introduced him to his wife! My college marching band was made up of both blue and red.

And now we are doing a combined Alumni performance!

When I marched BD, the only group we really didn't care for was Phantom, but that was because they did a few things to us that we did not like. When I taught SCV, I don't really remember a rivalry with anyone.

Maybe a better thread would be one that tracks the friendships between corps. I would have more to contribute to that one.

Edited by randomnoise

I think you may have disrespect confused with playful. We toured a lot with Cavies my rookie year back when there was retreat after every show, and they love to have fun. Be it handing out (or throwing) jolly ranchers, singing some pretty funny songs, or making the light saber noise when their drum major was counting off America o Canada with a glow stick.

or dressing towards the sky, towards the ground. They really are a great group of guys, lots of fun. :blink:

They must have been teached good. :P

Not all of us are fortunate enough to have English as our first language. I'm not speaking for myself, but rather for my Italian friend FH4life.

I attended a Cavaliers camp in 1991 and one of the first things that Jeff Fiedler said at the meeting was "If you're here to audtion for that <funny but nasty description deleted> corps, it's about 40 miles that way...speaking, of course, of Phantom Regiment.

Boy how things change over the course of 15 years. Nothing like that has been spoken in quite sometime.

And free days, and laundry...

They actually get more free days than many corps who are generally treated better than them.

Most of the people who are discussing Boston, other than the ones referencing previous decades, should probably look around and notice that they're really not an antagonistic drum corps any more by any means. In the sense of relationships with other corps, things aren't even comparable to what they were in the era before the modern corps that exists now.

There's a big difference between actually being around other corps in modern times and seeing how they actually do act in respect to other corps, and sitting behind a computer with no knowledge of the situation other than jokes, assumptions, and rumors.

(that's a general statement, not directed towards any one person)