Risk Taking Shows

Every Madison show since 2002. People have Madison under the microscope, and if it's not perfectly the way they wanted it's not "Madison."

Lots of people around the nation winced the year The Troopers played " The Age of Aquarius " derived from the musical group the 5th Dimension. Don't get me wrong, The Troopers played it well. But that music fits the Troopers about as much Phantom Regiment deciding to play something from the Gangsta Rap Genre some year. So that certainly qualifies as supreme " risk taking " on the part of the Show Designers of The Troopers that year. ( not sure The Troopers recovered competitively after that excursion into " risk taking " either ). They seemed to have lost their way back then, and ultimately went down hill into oblivion after that. Hope they have found themselves lately and return with their unique Americana portrayal intact.

Edited by X DM

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every Madison show since 2002. People have Madison under the microscope, and if it's not perfectly the way they wanted it's not "Madison."

I would disagree more towards this statement than any other one I've seen in this whole thread, especially if we're talking about it from a design standpoint. The fact that they've displayed an unwillingness to distance themselves from their training wheels (aka motifs/"Madison moments" from the previous decade) proves this to me. Madison 2006 is a perfect example of them NOT taking risks, and for that reason, failing in their portrayal of a "dark" show. If they took corny throwback moments out of their shows (most specifically, the trumpet solo before the company front in the closer, and all the other trumpet moments that were awkwardly forced into the opener), their shows could actually be considered "risky," and have a chance to be as relatively successful as they've been before.

A risk would be a corps with probably the "brightest" image in DCI performing a dark show. A corps with a bright image performing a dark show but constantly intentionally integrating their bright image is simply ill-advised. Riskiness isn't well represented when it tries to capitalize off of previous successes.

How so? They dropped from 14th to 15th, and scored 3 points lower.

I think they were trying to do something that was a departure from their recent style, while giving some new staff an opportunity to try something different. I guess we'll find out more this year, but I think it stopped a downward trend. We can't really go too much on the points and placements, as I think 2006 was more competitive than 2005 in the 10-15 place corps. I guess I think the show was a success based on what I think the organisation wanted to do... Not necessarily competitively.....