Chicago Parade

Whereas most of the other watchers saw 70 to 120 horns, depending on how far down the route they were watching. :P

(ot - it seems that the drunk teenagers Daley was looking to keep away from the downtown parade have all gravitated to the South Side parade in the last few years; I'm fairly liberal when it comes to public enjoyment, but there are only so many stumbling 18 year olds I wanna deal with at noon on a Sunday...)

I think that parade is ridiculous, probaby because I have no choice when it comes to being there.

I think it's great that Chicago has the largest "neighborhood" parade in America, but the thing is just lame.

saw the parade in Chicago. Saw Pioneer, looked like mis 20 horns big drumline about 7 or 8 guard

It's a fun parade to do. This was the third parade of the weekend for The Kilties. Two in the Milwaukee area on Saturday and the Chicago one on Sunday. It gets us out for an early shake-down and helps with annual operating expenses.

I think Pioneer had about 11 or 12 guard there actually, 20 some horns and a nice drum line.

We, The Kilties, had 18-19 brass, 3 snares, 2 tenors, 5 bass drum, 6 plates, 6 guard, 2 DM's and 5 Honor Guard. The day before we had about the same area number with 3 or 4 more brass, a couple more guard, and another snare.

I believe Pioneer came from their weekend camp. The Kilties were on a off camp weekend.

For The Kilties over the last 4 years our numbers have run about the same every year for these off-season/off-camp events. We don't expect (but it's a plus when they do) those members from far, far away to be able to do every off season area parade.

The police presence monitoring the crowd was huge.

It was a fun time and productive time, and got us all "back on the bus" (literally for about 40 members traveling via our coach)

I guess that parade started as a little "kids type" parade years and years ago...........sure has changed!!

Next Kiltie Kamp..........March 31st/April 1st.

It's a fun parade, especially when you see a vis staff member practically try and kill a drunk person who tries to walk through the block. Oh, and I somehow got sunburned doing that parade yesterday...

I guess that parade started as a little "kids type" parade years and years ago...........sure has changed!!

Next Kiltie Kamp..........March 31st/April 1st.

Actually, some young members (at the time) of the Stockyard Kilty Band led the parade down the street--Brian McKee, Joe McKee and a couple of others and it grew from there. My auld band SYKB still leads that parade. Oddly, McNally's Bar is owned by the uncle of one of our pipers in the MKE Scottish.

waytooloud.jpg

:mmm:

If Pioneer came from camp they only had 24 or 25 horns at cam?

I would certainly think some Pioneer members had possibly early flights or rides to catch (and such) and maybe unable to do the parade. I know there were also area school district solo and ensemble competitions in Wisconsin this past weekend.

We had a few unable to perform this past weekend due to that, pretty sure Pioneer may have had the same issues with some of their members also.

Off season local parades are...........well, just that... off season local parades. It's a crap shoot depending on school schedules, distance to travel, camp schedules, etc. etc. The important thing is to get out and perform.

Was at the parade and heard Gary Owen in the distance. Made sure I caught a glimpse of them. I counted more horns than 25. High 30s if I remember. 14 guard and usual battery size.

As I was walking back to the car I saw them loading the truck. They had some members from the texas camp that couldnt make it. So Im assuming hornline is bigger this year.