The trend of gag orders on corps memberships..

I guess what my concern has been in the areas of safety and illegal/unethical behavior within the corps and the surpressing of a person's right to redress.

I know that youth will try to use this board to whine, cry, gripe, or retaliate against a perceived slight (or just working too hard...boohoo..) against them. That is a pain; and I see a point in THAT.

however, when you take a look at the Esperanza situation; and a couple of the other situations in the past couple of years where there has been questionable activity, there are times light has to be shown in order to clean up a rather nasty thing going on. I am not sure whether corrective measures would have occurred had not someone informed the DC community to the problems (i.e.; the situation with Alan Cox...); and in some instances they can be used to intimidate membership from speaking out when there are truly questionable things occuring within the corps ops (again, the mother who felt unable to say anything due to the contract with the gagging stipulation).

I am sorry guys, but if a teacher, instructor, or group tried to tell me or my child what to say or not to say, my child or I will NOT be part of that group. For that very reason.

NOTE: As an educator, I have seen some similar behavior occuring in the public schools...there was a midwest school that recently tried to gag an entire 9th grade class from saying anything to their parents about highly controversial matter that was being taught in a required course. This is insidious to the core. (Puns are fun b**bs )

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry guys, but if a teacher, instructor, or group tried to tell me or my child what to say or not to say, my child or I will NOT be part of that group. For that very reason.

NOTE: As an educator, I have seen some similar behavior occuring in the public schools...there was a midwest school that recently tried to gag an entire 9th grade class from saying anything to their parents about highly controversial matter that was being taught in a required course. This is insidious to the core. (Puns are fun b**bs )

But I have yet to hear of a corps telling a member not to tell their parents or other responsible adults anything.

So far it's don't post and don't talk to other corps members. (Disagree with both but that's IMO)

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

We're not talking about major issues - we're talking about day-to-day posting on internet message boards. There is nothing that prevents members from telling other people in person - though, it is strongly encouraged at times (for example, if a new uniform is comming out).

Besides, if there really is something wrong with the corps - a message board is not the place to turn. Seems to me that direct e-mails to DCI, other corps Directors, or administration with the corps would be a better approach.

I don't understand the issue that the original poster has with this. If a member wants to express his/her opinions, it's VERY easy to do so without revealing the unit with which they are associated...anonymity is easily achieved and maintained. Everybody has the option of expressing themselves here, without the problem of incriminating or defacing the reputation of a unit.

I don't understand the issue that the original poster has with this. If a member wants to express his/her opinions, it's VERY easy to do so without revealing the unit with which they are associated...anonymity is easily achieved and maintained. Everybody has the option of expressing themselves here, without the problem of incriminating or defacing the reputation of a unit.

Also very easy to slip up once or twice during the season and reveal that you're posting incognito, against corps policy. Ooopssss...... :laugh: Understand with some corps, you're not allowed to post PERIOD.....

Also very easy to slip up once or twice during the season and reveal that you're posting incognito, against corps policy. Ooopssss...... :laugh: Understand with some corps, you're not allowed to post PERIOD.....

In my experience DCP is not really a hot topic of discussion during the season.

Honestly most people don't care about the arm chair directors during the summer.

In my experience DCP is not really a hot topic of discussion during the season.

Honestly most people don't care about the arm chair directors during the summer.

I meant a corps member telling another corps member personally (not on DCP) that they are posting against corps policy. Anyone have an idea how corps who totally ban posting would handle this? Or to put it another way how would such corps handle having "an arm chair director" in the corps?

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I meant a corps member telling another corps member personally (not on DCP) that they are posting against corps policy. Anyone have an idea how corps who totally ban posting would handle this? Or to put it another way how would such corps handle having "an arm chair director" in the corps?

If it's against the rules they should be smart enough to not tell people they are doing it, but I think that in most cases unless the person in question was making a fool out of themselves and the corps that the other members aren't going to go tattle on them.

As for the corps action in such a case, I think it would probably go on a case by case basis, but I've never seen it happen.

I am concerned with the odd unethical director putting a clause in a contact; then a member has to speak up because something bad is going on within the corps (i.e.; true physical abuse or illegal behavior) and this director hitting them legally over the head with the contract. That could very well happen; and there are certain hints it could have been threatened in the Esperanza situation.

It is not a matter of corps dicipline..if a member is so unhappy that they are just venting irresponsibly, then that member needs to be shown the door. They do not belong; and a gag order is not needed to do that. If it is a member/parent who is seeking legal redress (and frankly, if it got to that , I would be gone already), it is a different matter. I would not sign my right to talk to anyone; an employer, the government, a corps, ANYONE. (And that does include my former corps. Sorry guys, but I think you are wrong.)

And if you think that gag orders are a good idea, then you are being bamboozled by PC-ness.