A rose by any other name

No, no, no. Calling that green stuff that members have to pay "tuition" instead of "dues" causes the green stuff to transsubstantiate when it goes from the student/member/person-who-marches-or-plays-or-waves-stuff-for-eleven-minutes to the corps. It's not clear what that green stuff transsubtantiates into, but my theory is that it's the body and blood of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

LMAO @ FSM. :blink:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all marching music ensembles are drum corps, but all drum corps ARE marching music ensembles.

All woodwinds are instruments, and drum corps have instruments, so do all drum corps have woodwinds?

The instructional staff in drum corps instructs the members of the corps. Doesn't that make the members students of the people who are teaching them?

Not every place that has students is a school and not every group of teachers is a faculty.

Trumpets are the soprano voice in the 4-part brass instrumentation, but is a Bb marching trumpet interchangable as a noun with the term "soprano?"

Maybe in the context of our activity and the unconsciously agreed upon language which people in this activity use, it is! Who knows.

In any case, things are what they are and that's the bottom line. As long as we understand what people mean when they say them. When I talk about drum corps with non-drum corps people and they tell me how they saw my marching band and TV and loved it, I don't get offended or freak out. I politely thank them and I tell them I'm glad they liked it.

Now if someone in the Blue Devils told me how great my marching band was, well- that's a little different. :)

Words have a lot of power, but mostly that power is the power that we collectively choose to assign to those words based on our reactions regarding them. For instance, if I had reacted harshly to the non-drum corps person who told me how much they liked my marching band, then marching band suddenly becomes a very strong word, just based upon my strong reaction to it!

If I choose to not care that they said marching band, then all the sudden it's NOT a powerful word and I can go on living my bando (pow! another word) life relatively stress-free.

So when you find yourself in these situations, I would advise to think about how strong you really want the word in question to be.

Good night, and good luck.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

No, no, no. Calling that green stuff that members have to pay "tuition" instead of "dues" causes the green stuff to transsubstantiate when it goes from the student/member/person-who-marches-or-plays-or-waves-stuff-for-eleven-minutes to the corps.

But seriously - if the fees the members pay go toward food or fuel, I don't think "tuition" is an accurate term.

I dunno what all has been said, but I'll say this...

I think words/semantics etc DO matter. Here's why.....

I'm currently working on a degree in applied behavioral science. If I walked around calling people retarted (and many other older, more inappropriate words) it'd not be ok. People in the field would think negative of me, etc. etc.

So, which I dunno what the "right" words we should be using are in all cases, I do think it's important.