234 theaters to show ’07 DCI Classic Countdown

I had already decided I was probably not going to go see this year's countdown because the sound was so bad last year.... but I think DCI's response didn't say WHY there aren't any theaters in Dallas listed.

The Tinseltown Plano where we saw the broadcast last year IS a National Cinemedia already and DOES have a digital projector.

Again, the GENERAL MANAGERS of theaters have the FINAL say in what plays at their theater. Complaining to DCI, or even Regal itself, will do no good, you have to talk with the GM of your theater. They decide what comes in and out and how best to run the theater.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, this is Regal, not DCI.

Not necessarily is it all Regal's fault. DCI is just saying check with the general manager to see if they would be willing to "participate" if they have the equipment. So I'm sure DCI does have "some" say on which areas get picked or what area they go after.

You don't expect us to believe the theaters contact DCI do you? :lol:

OK...let me try and explain this again:

A product is made. In this instance, its DCI's product.

DCI wants to put it in theaters. Check.

DCI gets in touch with Regal. Check.

Regal says they will offer the product to their General Managers at the theaters. Check.

DCI says "Great!". Check.

The General Managers each make their own decision reguarding whether or not to show the product at their theater. Check.

They will use charts of previous year's numbers, plot that against the movies that are planned to be in release at that time, put THAT up against how many screens they have in their theaters, and make their own judgement call on whether or not they think it will be profitable to screen it.

So when DCI says talk to the General Manager, they aren't kidding. He/She is calling the shots.

I understand the concept, you don't have to talk down to me about it. I just made a comment about the issue regarding the fact that it's not all Regals fault in response to another poster. And what DCI said.

And the fact that I'm sure DCI is using a marketing strategy too. Look, last year Orlando had two theaters, this year, only one. I know both were sold out. (Or so we were told). Why wouldn't they have two this year? Probably cause there isn't a market for it.

I see this year Arizona has two theaters. I'm sure they are using a strategy to market to certain areas. I didn't say there was anything wrong with that either. It's actually smart of DCI to go to areas where they know people will show up due to certain drum corps in the areas. It's not Rocket Science.

I am now reminded of why I don't post much anymore.

I am now reminded of why I don't post much anymore.

Oh don't get all "woe is me" defensive! I wasn't even specifically replying to your post!

It just struck me to try and better explain what I was talking about after the fact.

In fact, I was in the middle of typing my post when yours went up...so I didn't even read it till after.

Edited by geluf

Bah, still nothing particularly close to me. Oh well, I'll be at Santa Clarita, unless we're doing something with Mystikal in Long Beach, which would be a pain in the ###.

Hey, Sam? Why not make this a Mystikal event? They should be exposed to some of the best shows (in the opinion of the voters) in DCI history. Maybe make it a watch and discuss event for the corps members. You could talk about what they watched, why corps "did it like that back then", evolution of scoring, and basically how we got where we are today.

Plus, they might notice some things that have become traditions in different corps and think about establishing some for Mystikal, too.

Garry in Vegas

PS We have two locations this year?!?!?

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Just go to the one at Fossil Creek, it's right in the middle of DFW, and tons of people go every year.

Ummm...try telling someone from Garland or Mesquite that far north Fort Worth is "the middle of DFW."

Some of y'all are jumping the gun here. The list was just released. It will undoubtedly grow over the next couple of weeks (as it has the past 2 years), especially in major markets with more than one NCM property. If additional DFW and Houston locations are not added...I'd be very surprised.

Though, personally, UA Fossil Creek is close for me and I think it would be pretty cool to have all of my dc friends in north TX in one place for the show.

both of the theatres in our area (Kansas City) have dropped showing this.

I know they've sold out and done well both with this and the live broadcast, and I'm pretty angry about the closest theatre to a major city being 4 hours away in St. Louis. <**>

Two things....

1) Are they National Cinemedia theaters?

2) If so....try and speak with the general manager of the theaters to see why they are not showing it, as DCI suggests.