Is DCA dead?

Hi All

About the future of DCA. To give a little background, I found an old shako in my mother's cellar when I was cleaning it out.

Thought it might look nice around my house. I went on the net to find a plume and ordered it. Sometime later I called the uniform co about the plume. They finally sent me to the plume. While talking to a fella in Ocala Fl about the plume, he tells me that they are making the uniforms for the Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni corps. He further informs me that a Mr. Atkinson at DCI has told him that DCI is going to start an alumni/all age division. Is this correct? Has anyone else heard this bandied about?

Dave Tichy

PAL Cadets, Park City Pride, et al

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for the moment, welcome to the Lee Rudnicki = Bushwackers love in feel-good segway.

Be sure to tune in tomorrow when the topic shifts once again.

for the record: this week my favorite corps are :

The Cabs

The Buccs

MBI

Renegades

& Frontier

I hope they all win... whatever it is they are trying to win.

The Loser: DCA, because it's dead after all... Die DCA Die! err.. I mean DCA is my favorite All-age circuit.

whatver.

I hope you guys win!

Oh super.Frank Gorshin is back. :P

What four corps? Are they all from the same regional circut? If so, with all four no longer allowed to compete, does that kill the regional circut by not having at least 3 corps?

:blink::lol::lol::blink::lol::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Congratulations to those of you who so

admirally passed a rule to exclude small corps.

This was a fantastic idea that will really help the

growth of the all age drum corps activity!

Go pat yourself on the back.....real hard.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

I would write more on this subject, but I don't trust myself not to get heated.

Suffice it to say, I agree wholeheartedly.

DCI is going to start an alumni/all age division.

I thought DCI had already done this. Although it has not come in the form of a slot during finals week. Or anything other than allowing all age corps to compete(get judged) at DCI contests. But I could have gotten my rumors wrong.

-----

On the 35 marching members things, that does not include the drum major(s), or honor guard. But may include the pit even though they may not actually "march" per say. So like Chris previous said, limited to 128, but fielded 140. Under the rule, you can field 3,000 and still fail to meet the 35 minimum requirement. From what I observed off of the DVDs, most of Class A are in the 35 to 40 range, maybe less without the uncounted members. And based on what I saw on the DVD, at least two corps failed to meet the 35 minimum in 2006, but I could be wrong. Fortunately it "supposedly" goes into effect in 2008, not 2007, but I could be wrong there too.

-----

As far as regions for the Renegades rule that did "Pass" (or so I thought). It was amended to "lax" the region requirement, therefore not affecting only the Renegades. Which was a change in the vote requirements and number of votes. The potential DCA votes are as of 2008 down to 10 instead of what could/would have been 14. With only 12 actually meeting the requirements after 2006. The 2 that didn't get votes had the requirements in their original schedules, but the shows themselves were either cancelled, or failed to meet the criteria of a sanctioned show after the season was under way.

As far as regions for the Renegades rule that did "Pass" (or so I thought). It was amended to "lax" the region requirement, therefore not affecting only the Renegades. Which was a change in the vote requirements and number of votes. The potential DCA votes are as of 2008 down to 10 instead of what could/would have been 14. With only 12 actually meeting the requirements after 2006. The 2 that didn't get votes had the requirements in their original schedules, but the shows themselves were either cancelled, or failed to meet the criteria of a sanctioned show after the season was under way.

Actually, you are combining two different rule changes. First, the definition of what constitutes a DCA show was refined so that it is much easier to hold DCA sanctioned shows outside the NE region. Second, the number of voting members was reduced to the ten finalists.

As Rodney said . . .

"Can't we all just get along?"

Seriously, as a student of drum corps, I am most grateful for discussions like this (thanks Lee). Communication is a good thing. It leads to progress.

:)

Hi All

About the future of DCA. To give a little background, I found an old shako in my mother's cellar when I was cleaning it out.

Thought it might look nice around my house. I went on the net to find a plume and ordered it. Sometime later I called the uniform co about the plume. They finally sent me to the plume. While talking to a fella in Ocala Fl about the plume, he tells me that they are making the uniforms for the Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni corps. He further informs me that a Mr. Atkinson at DCI has told him that DCI is going to start an alumni/all age division. Is this correct? Has anyone else heard this bandied about?

Dave Tichy

PAL Cadets, Park City Pride, et al

DCI-C already has an "all age" division, and has for a while.

Actually, you are combining two different rule changes. First, the definition of what constitutes a DCA show was refined so that it is much easier to hold DCA sanctioned shows outside the NE region. Second, the number of voting members was reduced to the ten finalists.

Chris....could you spell out what it now takes to sanction a DCA show out here???

Tell me about it. I found out only now that DCA is imposing the 35-member rule on the regions, contrary to initial reports. As a result of that decision, four non-NE corps intent on competing in 2007 have scrapped their plans and declared "minicorps" this month alone.

Who please, its important to see the effect on the activity.I knows North Coast also declared the 15th they were doing mini-corps could there be more? :(