Had electronics passed, this would be legal

Stop living in the past. We have to make "drum corps" cool for the kids by making it relevant to the kids of today, not the kids of the old days who are too old to march anymore.

:silly:

That's the main argument for all these silly changes being proposed, right?

because no one (ages as low as 7 to 21) tries out for drum corps nowadays :rolleyes:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the rule does get passed eventually, I hope that it rains all summer long to at least prevent the outdoor shows to not use electronics. (See DCA Championships 2006, i.e. Gulf Coast Sound and SoCal Dream) That was fun...

But as Murphy's law would have it, it will be the sunniest, and dryest summer.

And that's the shame of this whole thing. Too many people like you (not criticizing) are going to let one moron's twisted desires for the activity chase you away from the most important part of the activity - the KIDS. At least for this year, since the idiotic rule he proposed did not pass, give the kids one more shot. They may not say it much, but they really live to perform for the audience. Take a look at the recent thread. Overwelmingly, the top choice for best part of day on tour was "On the field......".

Not one rule proposed passes just because of one person. A majority of the voting board has to agree with it for the rule to pass.

Looking at attendance reports from around the country, I don't see a problem. If a few people want to be 'chased' away, so be it. YOu can't make them come if they don't like what they are seeing and hearing.

We crossed the line when amps got approved. This would just take us MORE past the line.

Those who opposed amps said, in a loud voice, it was just a matter of time before this happened, that we were on a slippery slope leading to electronics and more than likely woodwinds.

Those who favored amps said they were just to help the pit be heard.

Well it only took what? one year? two? before people were singing thru the amps.

This is just the next slip down the slippery slope and it basically ends when we have summer marching band.

I hjate to say it, but its not that far off at the rate we are going.

Drum corps has always been summer marching band.

We REALLY don't need electronic instruments. Or amps for that matter.

I still listen to my CDs from the 80s and we sounded just fine.

Just like 2004-2006 sound just fine with amps and vocals of all types.

Ahh, but that proves my point. I used to be one of those "KIDS", and today I love them all. My fear is that the DCI leadership is failing them. These directors just don't seem to have the guts to stand up to Hoppy every time he proposes one of his own personel absurdities. If they had any guts at all they would drop that guy like a bad habit.

DCI's leadership is far from failing the members. They do what they know is best for the DCI drum corps activity...you don't agree? Become a corp director with a vote. Not one rule Hoppy...or anyone...proposes gets passed without a majority of the voting board agreeing that it is a good idea.

Drum corps has always been summer marching band.

Just like 2004-2006 sound just fine with amps and vocals of all types.

Funny, I don't recall seeing woodwinds (or electronic instruments) on the field last summer, or when I marched for that matter.

If you are one of those people who doesn't understand the difference between drum corps and marching band, I won't bother wasting my time explaining it.

And 04-06 did not sound just fine with amps and vocals.

Several shows I watched had balance issues where the pit was overpowering the horn line.

and on the other extreme where the amps failed, or worked intermittently and the pit sounded like garbage.

And if we sounded just fine without the amps, then why use them?

In 93 and 94 Regiment had their pit behind the front hash and no one complained they couldn't hear them just fine.

ROland Garceau played the star spangled banner at Loud Music Symposium a few years back....he played it on a trumpet with a microphone thing over his bell.....the sound went into a synthezier and the sound that came out of the amp was an electric guitar......all the notes went in as synth and came out as guitar....pretty cool if you ask me..............BUT.....if electronics pass, then does that mean we can have the sounds of a full stringed orchestra on the field? you bet!

IMO, if ya want a guitar get a guitar not an f'in conveter for a trumpet player to sound like a guitar when amped. <**>

Listen - as OP, I was perusing some gear, and I thought I'd make an example of it. I'm not a fan of electronics, but I didn't mean for it to be a wholly negative thing. I was simply pointing out that this is a good EXAMPLE of what really does become legal under the proposal as it was submitted.

It's very cool gear. But for those that believe electronics are benign, let's just be clear that this was something that would have fallen legal. It's not just some pinball effects - it's a radical change. Let's all be sure about what we're discussing when we say "allow electronics".

It is a very cool device,, I just don't feel it belongs in drum corps.

Funny, I don't recall seeing woodwinds (or electronic instruments) on the field last summer, or when I marched for that matter.

If you are one of those people who doesn't understand the difference between drum corps and marching band, I won't bother wasting my time explaining it.

Good...don't waste your time explaining something that is wrong.

And 04-06 did not sound just fine with amps and vocals.

Several shows I watched had balance issues where the pit was overpowering the horn line.

and on the other extreme where the amps failed, or worked intermittently and the pit sounded like garbage.

And if we sounded just fine without the amps, then why use them?

In 93 and 94 Regiment had their pit behind the front hash and no one complained they couldn't hear them just fine.

Pits overall sound better with amps...mallet selection and performance style is better....some of the softer percussion sounds are now possible.

2004 had some great use of vocals...i.e. Crown. Cadets 05 and 06 as well. Cascades 2005 did just fine with their narration. Crossmen 06 used narration very well.