Nashville Regional

guardnerd07

I'll admit that I'm relatively new to colorguard; the first time I saw James Logan was in 2004, with their Loganation show. Every program of theirs since then has been, in my opinion, thematically and stylistically different. I love Flanagan World, and am extremely proud of them because they're from the city in which I live. If I hadn't been zoned to go my new high school, I would probably have been going there. That having been said, I think they do have their 'niche' as far as show designs are concerned. There's nothing wrong with that; colorguard isn't completely about what you do, but how you do it. They do what they do extremely well.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, not to nit-pick, but I don't see how Flanagan was the underdog. They were ranked above Miamisburg before this Regional. That would seem to me to make Miamisburg the underdog.

Well I'm speaking in general, not only this year. But Miamisburg had been a top-noche guard since WGI started. Flanagan has only been a SW for about 3 years, i think. SO correct me if I'm wrong, which I'm most certain I'm not, Flanagan would be the underdog.

On another note. Who knows what colorguards are going to World Class Exhibition?

And I hate to be negative, but I was watching a video clip of Avon High School (SW) and I thought they have very talented girls but I found the music extremely boring.

By the way has anyone noticed the song "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap is everywhere! About 4 or 5 guards are using it. YIKES!! :rolleyes:

Well I'm speaking in general, not only this year. But Miamisburg had been a top-noche guard since WGI started. Flanagan has only been a SW for about 3 years, i think. SO correct me if I'm wrong, which I'm most certain I'm not, Flanagan would be the underdog.

On another note. Who knows what colorguards are going to World Class Exhibition?

And I hate to be negative, but I was watching a video clip of Avon High School (SW) and I thought they have very talented girls but I found the music extremely boring.

By the way has anyone noticed the song "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap is everywhere! About 4 or 5 guards are using it. YIKES!! :rolleyes:

More like 40 or 50 guards are doing that song all over the country...its overkill already!

And I hate to be negative, but I was watching a video clip of Avon High School (SW) and I thought they have very talented girls but I found the music extremely boring...

Just a note on Avon -- you NEED to see this show live. Now I'm someone who loves their colorguard pretty simple.. cute tosses, some tricks, clean rotations.. but this show is so emotionally deep and powerful that I can't describe it. At the end of their show at Chesterton finals, no one clapped for about 10 seconds. As the girls were cleaning up, the crowd all stood up on their feet. They had all been affected by this powerful work of art. That's the only way to genuinely describe it. It touches you like art is supposed to without being over the top and hard to understand. Just absolutely amazing.

Yeah, Avon is absolutely just incredible! I can't wait to see them go for it in Dayton.. The openeing movement sequence is the most awesome thing I've ever seen... They should get into box 6 just for that! *and yes, there really is a box 6 score - it is very rarely given as it refers to changing the activity*.

GO AVON!!!

At the end of their show at Chesterton finals, no one clapped for about 10 seconds.

I didn't clap at first...but that was because I was busy using my hands to cover my ears. The sound was up WAY too loud or something, because the lower notes in the piece sounded God-awful.

The ladies and the show were amazing though, despite the music.

Ok, it's totally semantics at this point and doesn't really matter. Nevertheless, I'm always up for a little linguistic debate. As I understand it, the underdog is the one you expect not to win. Since Miamisburg was ranked lower and most people I know expected them not to win, they were the underdog. There is no doubt that Miamisburg has a history that Flanagan doesn't, but that doesn't affect scores...

I didn't clap at first...but that was because I was busy using my hands to cover my ears. The sound was up WAY too loud or something, because the lower notes in the piece sounded God-awful.

The ladies and the show were amazing though, despite the music.

Agreed. I thought the sound was WAY too loud. I think it's supposed to be loud, but it's kind of painful.

Also, I really think the way they perform their show now doesn't fit the piece and the style of music. For music and a show that is so abstract, for me their performance style now is way too standard, almost typical. I remember seeing it earlier and I felt like their approach was better and more appropriate.

Going back to Arcadia and the bronze ..... I agree that Arcadia does NOT quite have the bronze in their back pocket yet. They are going to have to compete with Flanagan and Center Grove, both are formidable opponents. It should make for some pretty exciting performances. Now, with regard to Flanagan, their show design, niche, etc. Flanagan has only been Sch. World since 2004. They placed 8th in 2004, 7th in 2005, and 5th in 2006. At this point in time they are ranked 4th. They must be doing something right.