Spartans Strong in Early Exhibition

Having seen the Spartans in early exhibition this weekend, I have no doubt that they have plans to be a strong contender in Division II this summer.

This past weekend, two of my grandchildren and I went to Boston in a taste of Spring weather for a Museum of Science and Aquarium weekend … with a planned side trip to Malden on Saturday night to see the Sacred Heart World Guard Home Show, where I met up with old friends of mine whose grand daughter was in one of these artistic and athletic guards. This was run by the old Eastern Mass Drum and Bugle Corps Association. I have fond memories of performing in the many regional shows they organized in the 50’s and 60’s. It is good to see that the winter colorguard program is still so strong. From Cadet to C-B-A and Open and World Guard Classes, it was a very fine evening of competition. Clearly, this is the winter training ground for those fine guards of the Spartans, East Coast Jazz and Citations.

It was a packed house at the end of the show when the Spartans came out for a standstill performance of their opening show music and to play the National Anthem before the second-half scores were announced. Apparently, they do this every year and it is a much anticipated performance and they were well received by the very appreciative crowd.

I would say that they are at about the same size as they were last year. Add the guard and any members who had off-season commitments and they should be over 100 members, easily … a good size for them as they always look and sound larger than they are. Tonight was no exception. Since they were helmetless, you could see their serious and determined faces. “They never smile, “said the wife of my old friend next to me. I thought back to the picture posted on these boards of the final retreat last August and replied, “Oh, they smile alright … when it is over and they have given it their best.”

For some reason they staged all the percussion in front of the horn arc, so I could not help but notice that a bar has clearly been raised in the battery. There were, I think, 7 snares, 4-5 tenors, 5 bass and 4-5 cymbals in the battery. As I’ve said before, I am not a percussionist, but even I can detect something new and different … and very good ... happening here. Deep talent, for one thing … there must have been many, many fine drummers that did not make this cut. I hope they have all found a place to march this summer. Nice new writing, also. The front ensemble has about ten members and appears to be the least experienced of the corps, although there are some very fine mallet players here and a nice timpanist. The front played only the first piece. Perhaps winter constraints kept them from having the second piece ready. The hornline was certainly ready. They came out carrying their old G horns like a badge of honor and played over the percussion. Nice horn pops, as usual, and they held their horns up and steady. I really did not count here. I just do not care much about such. I counted the battery only because inquiring minds like to know and it usually gives a good indication of the planned hornline size. There were six contras with a mature sound. This appears to be the most experienced section of the entire corps. The contras together with the front ensemble open the show. The baritones join in next. I’d say they have many returning baritones and this makes me happy. They have a good number in the line and a very strong early season low brass sound. Nine or ten mellos, with some depth in the line, some nice runs, good overall tone, a mix of new and old players. There are a few more sopranos than baritones, The soprano section of the hornline likely has the most new members. The lead sopranos are good and made some nice statements in this music.

If you want to play brass and are looking for a good place to march in the northeast and a trip to Pasadena, call the Spartans. They would likely take on a few more baritones or sopranos.

They performed two short show music pieces. I recall when they announced their show topic, “Tarot,” that I said I was intrigued. Well, it was a good choice of word. Intriguing describes this music well. Their opener has a surprisingly up-beat and off-beat flavor and an unusual time signature. I counted it out to be 7/8 and/or maybe 7/4. There was change to 4/4 in the second piece and then back again. I could be wrong. It was pretty fast and a lot to take in. But the marching and drill for this should be interesting come June. They have the same able and very classy drum major as the past two years. His left arm injury appears to be healed. This piece was well done by all. The tune is very catchy. Yes, this is Key Poulan original music and I said it is catchy. I like both pieces. The second sounds a little more traditional for the Spartans. There are a couple of nice fanfares. My grandson said it sounded like Robin Hood. This piece speaks of authority and strength. Both pieces seemed shorter than what I’ve heard them play recently and the total was about 3-4 minutes of show music. It left us wanting to hear more. I am really looking forward to seeing where this will go when they add the drill and guard.

The strongest piece of the night for the hornline was when they played the National Anthem by themselves. This was well-phrased, well-blended, good intonation; controlled … it was just so well done … it was hard to believe that I was listening to an off-season hornline. Bravo. All I can say is that, although there is a lot of work to be done, if this hornline can play this well together in March, I can’t wait to hear them in August when they have reached their potential. Practice hard alone and work long and well together, Spartans. It will be worth it.

It was a very good night. The grandkids and I had a good time. My granddaughter, who will be nine in a few short weeks, was entranced by the guards. Too bad there appears to be no such opportunity available to her in the rural area where she lives. My grandson, who is now twelve, was not as enthusiastic about the guard show and wanted to spend the evening wandering the halls of the vast and circuitous Malden High School in search of the Spartans. I had to keep reeling him in. Good thing for him that in the second half some friends of friends showed up with some kids only a little older who stewarded him around a bit for me. His only real complaint was that the Spartans did not play nearly long enough for him. He pointedly looked at me in the end (with a bit too much attitude), and said, ”So, when can we see them again?” “Ah … maybe the Brockton show,” said I. “if you can remember your manners.” He was so cooperative and helpful the rest of the weekend. Plans are to take the two of them to that first show of the season and my grandson and a car load of his buddies to the Boston Crusaders Home Show in Lawrence. I have not quite talked my daughter into the Spartan Home Show on the long 4th of July weekend, but we’re working on that.

As I said, their opening music is very catchy and my grandson and I left trying to hum and tap it out in the blinding snow squall that hit us in the face at the door. Driving was not fun. Hope everyone made it home safely. It was spring again on Sunday. Got to love New England weather.

Thank you, Spartans, and best wishes for a happy and successful season.

Edited by oldguard

Good to hear about this. Good luck to Spartans all through the season.

Awesome post as usual - although I didn't even have to read it before knowing it would be, I only had to see it was started by "oldguard". :)

Thank you for the review/update, sounds like Spartans are going to be a strong contender again this year. Can't wait to see them and all Div. II/III corps on the road - hopefully I can take in a lot of shows this summer since it will be my last (in the 'junior' activity anyway).

3 months!

Good to hear about this. Good luck to Spartans all through the season.

It is always good to see or hear that a corps is doing well. The more corps there are; the stronger they are; the more active they are: it's good for everyone ... the fans, the sponsors, the event coordinators, the competitors ... and most of all the state of drum corps as a whole.

I'd like to read more about how other corps across the country are preparing for the coming season. It gives me something to look forward to this summer. From what I have been hearing so far, it looks to be a very competitive year again in Division II and Division III. I really enjoy these shows. Only a few more months to go!

Wow... good luck this season guys! What are the brass numbers this year?

Sorry, I can't help you more with that than what I already said. Counting brass line members is like counting sheep to me ... boring enough to put me to sleep. Too many other interesting things going on to try to take in. :)

The gym was so packed it was actually hard to do so anyway. There were so many people standing along the sides and around the edges of the front on the floor that the sopranos and baritones on both ends of the arc probably were elbow to elbow with a spectator.

... Can't wait to see them and all Div. II/III corps on the road - hopefully I can take in a lot of shows this summer since it will be my last (in the 'junior' activity anyway).

3 months!

Mr. SoonerFan, may you and your corps have an outstanding season this summer and may you just have the best summer of your life for your age out year. B)

hopefully I can take in a lot of shows this summer since it will be my last (in the 'junior' activity anyway).

You're getting old, Chris... <**>

Mr. SoonerFan, may you and your corps have an outstanding season this summer and may you just have the best summer of your life for your age out year. B)

Thank you. :) My 3rd-to-last camp ever is tomorrow, but I am definitely taking every moment in.

You're getting old, Chris... <**>

I know, I don't know what I'm going to do this summer if you aren't marching. Who else am I going to text with from across the country to update scores?? I'll have to start looking...