DCI Uses the "Student" Word!

Agreed Mike.

God forbid we want this activity to grow and evolve, ya know?

:ph34r:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am totally confused by your statement. The release in question was calling the high school STUDENTS "students." What else could they be called? They're not drum corps members...although these sessions are designed to hopefully inspire some to become members of corps. Anything we can do to bring drum corps to the masses and create more fans is a positive.

I'm assuming he was talking about the practice of referring to drum corps members as "students", staff as "faculty", etc....

I am totally confused by your statement. The release in question was calling the high school STUDENTS "students." What else could they be called?

high school members. :P

I am totally confused by your statement. The release in question was calling the high school STUDENTS "students." What else could they be called? They're not drum corps members...although these sessions are designed to hopefully inspire some to become members of corps. Anything we can do to bring drum corps to the masses and create more fans is a positive.

I understand that. I was responding to those who say that member or student is just semantics and they are interchangeable in the drum corps world. Same for "drum corps" and "marching music." I believe that DCI's selection of these newer references to the activity rather than the old is intentional for the purpose of steering DCI away from drum corps and toward marching band. As I have said in the past, I think this is appropriate as this appears to be exactly what they want. I'd rather have this than add woodwinds and still try to call it drum corps.

Agreed Mike.

God forbid we want this activity to grow and evolve, ya know?

:ph34r:

You are not evolving if you morph into something that already exists. Evolution is divergent not convergent. As far as growing...maybe a little over the past handful of years, but certainly not over the past couple of decades.

Ya know? :doh:

high school members. :P

I wasn't gearing it to the people the ad was made for. I geared my comments to those who reopened the discussion of semantics.

Honestly, I like to compare drum corps to today's musical scene. My dad wouldn't go anywhere near anything that's being released in today's mainstream of music, and instead prefers the music with which he grew up. My mom falls somewhere just outside of the mid range, as she too prefers music with which she grew up, but will sometimes find something in today's mainstream that she likes enough to which she will listen. I find myself squarely in the middle, listening to both music from today, and music from the past. And that includes drum corps.

I have a wide range of favorite shows, but my top 3 are 3 shows from three completely different decades: '93 Star of Indiana, '06 Phantom Regiment, and '86 Garfield Cadets. 3 completely different points of the spectrum, each offering something completely different in a package. And I love it. The differences from decade to decade are apparent, but not in a bad way. I love how much things have changed over those years, but how much of it has stayed intact.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that DCI is appearing to want to become more mainstream, and to do so, change has to happen in order to ensure growth, at least in their eyes. I'm not saying change to the point where it's completely unrecognizable, but certainly continue to push the envelope.

Would some change necessarily be a bad thing?

Honestly, I like to compare drum corps to today's musical scene. My dad wouldn't go anywhere near anything that's being released in today's mainstream of music, and instead prefers the music with which he grew up. My mom falls somewhere just outside of the mid range, as she too prefers music with which she grew up, but will sometimes find something in today's mainstream that she likes enough to which she will listen. I find myself squarely in the middle, listening to both music from today, and music from the past. And that includes drum corps.

I have a wide range of favorite shows, but my top 3 are 3 shows from three completely different decades: '93 Star of Indiana, '06 Phantom Regiment, and '86 Garfield Cadets. 3 completely different points of the spectrum, each offering something completely different in a package. And I love it. The differences from decade to decade are apparent, but not in a bad way. I love how much things have changed over those years, but how much of it has stayed intact.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that DCI is appearing to want to become more mainstream, and to do so, change has to happen in order to ensure growth, at least in their eyes. I'm not saying change to the point where it's completely unrecognizable, but certainly continue to push the envelope.

Would some change necessarily be a bad thing?

There have been many changes that I believe have helped. I. personally, don't like many of the recent changes and the direction that DCI wants to go. That's just me.

And that's perfectly fine. That would put you in the category of where my dad would fall and that's not a bad thing.

And that's perfectly fine. That would put you in the category of where my dad would fall and that's not a bad thing.
B)