Different concept

I often find myself thinking that some of the better corps don't win and that it has to do with show concept. So what would happen if DCI came out for one year and said that all shows have to be based on something as basic as the color spectrum. Every corps can do their own show but all the concepts would be based on the color spectrum. How do you think it would change corps placement.

Note: the color spectrum is only an example.

Sounds like cumpolsories.

Sounds like it would be very boring.

I'd rather see a test piece concept like Brass Band competitions have. Something like Year of the Dragon for the Wind Ensemble class and The Magic Flea for the Jazz Division.

I don't know, I would probably be bored quite quickly at Finals if I saw 12 corps performing their take on the same concept. What's great about drum corps is that in one sitting you can see shows about Dreams, Chicago, Gershwin, dancing, angels, Carmen, Russia, Dvorak, Broadway...

Maybe I didn't explain good enough, but what I meant is how would that mix up the placements. Cavies are always good but if something like this occured would they win? Or would all corps stay relatively in the same spot as if they didn't do the same concept.

Hah!! I figured out the quote function!! See, there's hope--even for computer stupid trombone players!

I think something like compulsories would be kind of cool, especially if it were as vague as "color spectrum." Add a second show or type of performance for each corps. There are so many fewer corps now than in the past, it would spice up shows, too. Add an "up close and personal" show between the 35's and in front of the hash, less GE and more drums/visual/brass--maybe even a 5-minute set of each?? Each type of performance could be judged separately and end of season awards awarded as well. Example: 2007 DCI DI Full-Field Champion (and captions), separately 2007 DCI DI Short-Field Champion (and captions).

If you're going to do something different, let's be original! No reason to change what's already there. Just add something else.

Imagine if you had Phantom doing the '07 field show they are planning, but also did something more Classical (musical era) in nature on the short field. Guard doing a WGI-style set. Drums for the sake of drums--you guys would say, "we don't need no stinkin' hornline!"

What a great opportunity to see your corps mates perform, and what a great opportunity to see each corps doing something new and slightly different! Heck, maybe even add more shows since corps will be performing longer time slots.

Slightly off-topic, I know, but the "color spectrum" or "compulsories" thing could be the short field thing. Thoughts??

Sorry for all that follows--just playing with the quote function! I'll stop triple posting on my own threads now!

I often find myself thinking that some of the better corps don't win and that it has to do with show concept. So what would happen if DCI came out for one year and said that all shows have to be based on something as basic as the color spectrum. Every corps can do their own show but all the concepts would be based on the color spectrum. How do you think it would change corps placement.

Note: the color spectrum is only an example.

i think the corps that designed the best show about the color spectrum, and performed it the best would win. just like anything else.
Sounds like cumpolsories.

Sounds like it would be very boring.

I'd rather see a test piece concept like Brass Band competitions have. Something like Year of the Dragon for the Wind Ensemble class and The Magic Flea for the Jazz Division.

I don't know, I would probably be bored quite quickly at Finals if I saw 12 corps performing their take on the same concept. What's great about drum corps is that in one sitting you can see shows about Dreams, Chicago, Gershwin, dancing, angels, Carmen, Russia, Dvorak, Broadway...
Maybe I didn't explain good enough, but what I meant is how would that mix up the placements. Cavies are always good but if something like this occured would they win? Or would all corps stay relatively in the same spot as if they didn't do the same concept.

I don't think it would affect things much. It's still the same designers working for the same corps. While even the best designer might not do her/his best work with a concept forced upon them by some outside entity, they are still the best for a reason. And it could have a detrimental affect on the corps that have less talented or less experienced designers or corps/designers who don't do concept based shows.

What would be more interesting is if all designers worked for DCI and switched the corps they worked for from year to year. Then it would be much more about the kids in the corps and their ability to execute. It would also result in kids being less driven to join a specific corps because of the design staff that corps was able to afford and/or attract and more about the kids that corps was able to attract. Then you might end up with less of the same corps at the top every year.

I don't think it would affect things much. It's still the same designers working for the same corps. While even the best designer might not do her/his best work with a concept forced upon them by some outside entity, they are still the best for a reason. And it could have a detrimental affect on the corps that have less talented or less experienced designers or corps/designers who don't do concept based shows.

What would be more interesting is if all designers worked for DCI and switched the corps they worked for from year to year. Then it would be much more about the kids in the corps and their ability to execute. It would also result in kids being less driven to join a specific corps because of the design staff that corps was able to afford and/or attract and more about the kids that corps was able to attract. Then you might end up with less of the same corps at the top every year.

Interesting suggestion. I've begun to wonder what ever happened to the writers and arrangers from 10-15 years ago? I know they haven't all died off just yet. And my peers from the mid-90's (JD Shaw, etc) are coming into their own, too. So at what point are there more staffers than what the top-6 can employ, since three or four of those have really happening systems, and the talent of the staff's start to filter down to the rest of the activity?

Admittedly, although the talent of the memberships in every strata of the activity impressed me last year, some of the lower placing and D2/3 CONCEPTS (nothing to do with membership) were somewhat lacking. When do we start to see quality, entertaining shows at those levels being DESIGNED? Note: Not a PERFORMANCE or PERFORMERS question--don't want members blasting me, please.

Is there a dirth of staffers doing the same thing as members? i.e., "well I didn't get the gig at Cavies/BD/SCV, so I'll just go write for high schools or work at Chik-fil-a."

Where have all the talented writers, drill designers, etc who I marched with? It's not like there's a shortage of need for these skills.

Well I do know back in the 60's and early 70's, some corps would do the same songs year after year. Troopers always would play Battle Hymn of the Republic and Ghost Riders in the Sky. SCV would play Fiddler on the Roof a lot, too. I'm kind of glad that corps really don't do this anymore on a regular basis.

I have the feeling Cavaliers would still be dominant. Followed by Cadets, BD and SCV. I wouldn't agree with the part about your better corps not winning. I honesly don't see any corps that are better than these 4. There is a reason these corps have won every single title since 91, and that is because they are the best corps.

And while I don't know how much people would like hearing the same pieces performed by 21-25 corps, it would be interesting to see what each corps could do with show ideas presented to them. And I don't think many could argue the fact that Cavaliers have been the most dominant in taking a theme, and layering it better than any other corps with their drill.