Best Malaguena Bari Solo

1978 Was Perry. He was great. Wonderful style. I would have to say that this is a tough question. Just looking at the three Madison Scouts that have played that solo they are all fantastic players. Dave Ramthun in 1980 and 1981 and Clay Wachholz in 1988 are two of my favorite bari soloists of all time.

...and 2006 with his brother Mark...

It's a toss up between Dave and Clay...maybe a tie. Both have their own unique style

and are great in their own right. And both Ramthun brothers did a superb job reprising

it again last summer!

Right. What Jeff said here. :P ... and think how cool that must have been for those guys, too. ^OO^

I vote for Dave R.

...because you're a classy guy. But watch the 1988 DVD again... :laugh:

Edited by GGarrett

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys....Nothing personal.....But!

I was their in '78 performing Malaguena off the line (to this day, many think it was our ballsiest rendition). I aged up too as we called it, the Senior Scouts along with and marched with Dave Ramthun '75-'81. He was also my closest Bro and bus seat partner on bus #2 (drum bus) for most of those years. David played by ear and was an extraordinary soloist!!! I've also watched '88 adnausium and the bari. solo is sweet, BUT.........Perry Smith was cut from an entirely different cloth! To appreciate what I'm saying you really had to have marched with Perry, one of the quietest most humble guys I've ever met. The guy was a natural. I believe that he possessed unmatched to this day one of the richest, velvety tones one will ever encounter. The emotion and pictures that he painted with his sound was truly palpable. Wow, he could fill that horn and the crowds would swoon. The sad thing though is that his talent was never fully realized since he decided to leave the activity early and quietly went off into the sunset. Man, what could have been!............I'm very sorry David and Clay! But for me, I truly felt that I was in the presence of greatness regarding Perry Smith. And to Steve Beard, (Kingsmen baritone soloist, and good friend) this is meant as no slight to you either!

Sincerely,

Jerry H.

I was their in '78 performing Malaguena off the line (to this day, many think it was our ballsiest rendition). I aged up too as we called it, the Senior Scouts along with and marched with Dave Ramthun '75-'81. He was also my closest Bro and bus seat partner on bus #2 (drum bus) for most of those years. David played by ear and was an extraordinary soloist!!! I've also watched '88 adnausium and the bari. solo is sweet, BUT.........Perry Smith was cut from an entirely different cloth! To appreciate what I'm saying you really had to have marched with Perry, one of the quietest most humble guys I've ever met. The guy was a natural. I believe that he possessed unmatched to this day one of the richest, velvety tones one will ever encounter. The emotion and pictures that he painted with his sound was truly palpable. Wow, he could fill that horn and the crowds would swoon. The sad thing though is that his talent was never fully realized since he decided to leave the activity early and quietly went off into the sunset. Man, what could have been!............I'm very sorry David and Clay! But for me, I truly felt that I was in the presence of greatness regarding Perry Smith. And to Steve Beard, (Kingsmen baritone soloist, and good friend) this is meant as no slight to you either!

Sincerely,

Jerry H.

I agree 78 was a very poerful performance.

Sincerely,

Jerry H.

Jerry,

I hear you brother. All three of these guys were great players. Perry is the person to this day that I credit for turning me in to a T.O.P. fan. Great velvety tone and warmth of sound. As for Dave, well I lived with Dave and his family in 1979 and he was in my wedding party. Just a great player and all around great guy. Clay another great guy that fortunately I have had the privilage of teaching with in the past. The secret to Madisons great hornlines of the past has always been its baritone section. Sure everyone thinks of the screaming soprano's but it was the baritone section that "shattered the concrete".

MYNWA

Dave C.

Jerry,

I hear you brother. All three of these guys were great players. Perry is the person to this day that I credit for turning me in to a T.O.P. fan. Great velvety tone and warmth of sound. As for Dave, well I lived with Dave and his family in 1979 and he was in my wedding party. Just a great player and all around great guy. Clay another great guy that fortunately I have had the privilage of teaching with in the past. The secret to Madisons great hornlines of the past has always been its baritone section. Sure everyone thinks of the screaming soprano's but it was the baritone section that "shattered the concrete".

MYNWA

Dave C.

Dave,

Even though I'm a Soprano/Trumpet guy, I believe that you've nailed the secret of Madison's greatest horn lines. As a whole, we knew how to "pin back the ears" and deliver the goods into the next county! But just listen to the recordings and you will ALWAYS here the lower brass depositing a canon ball to the solo-plexus!. Quite an enjoyable pain if I do say so myself! (sorry, Key of B flat just wont do)

MYNWA

Jerry H.

That was my old friend Perry Smith

I'll probably get flamed for this but by FAR the best Bari solo from Malaguena was 78 scouts. Absolutely amazing!

Bingo... I didn't know Clay played it in 88 kewl...

Jerry,

MYNWA

Dave C.

The secret to Madisons great hornlines of the past has always been its baritone section. Sure everyone thinks of the screaming soprano's but it was the baritone section that "shattered the concrete".

MYNWA

Dave C.

77barishirt.jpg

77 Baritone Shirt

78barishirt.jpg

78 Baritone shirt

My own take on Malaguena is that 78's version was done at about 170 bpm so Perry really couldnt give it all it deserved. Dave was a completely different type of player and I still prefer his rendition to all others.

The thing about both Perry and Dave is that they were both Drum Corps musicians having been taught brass playing in Madison junior Scouts. (As were many guys back then) Ive always believed that musicians who learn in non traditional ways are free of the strictures of traditional playing and are more likely to be unique. Ive always been a good section player but in a way shackled by classical influences.

1867.jpg

Dave Ramthun 1980 Malaguena

Edited by Scerpella