Staples Business Depot insulting drum corps

Hi all.

Mods – I’m posting in both the DCI and DCA forums – hope that’s OK…..

Staples Business Depot is running an ad that insults drum corps. It is about how easy it is to correct mistakes like calling drum corps “dumb corps” which a laughing announcer goes on to say is “the leading edge of stupidity” or words to that effect.

I’m not sure if they are in the USA but Staples is all over Canada, where drum corps is struggling.

I’m asking you to boycott Staples and to let them know why. Here’s the website for the contact page. I used media relations.

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/CSR/csr_contact_...DE16E6DB08695C2

It’s hard enough to get kids off the couch and out to a corps, we don’t need a social stigma being built up around a marketing ploy.

Cheers

Jim

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point - I just had a look on the website and I can't find any links to their ads - I heard this on the car radio coming to work today. Sorry.

1) How is that insulting to drum corps at all

2) Why the hell is Staples talking about drum corps in their ads, you probably misheard it

3) This is a waste of time, who cares, I sure don't

If only Staples would relieve "Borat" of his spokesperson duties. We'd be all the better for it.

I have a friend, who is also a big drum corps fan, who works at the corporate offices for Business Depot. I checked things out with him and got the following reply,

"It is a radio commercial that has started airing recently and it is for Copy & Print. The situation is that some letterhead was produced with a typo so that Drum Corp was Dum Corp and the message was that with 39 cent colour copies, it doesn't cost much to redo the letterhead. I did not find it derogatory to drum corps but rather making fun of a mistake and recognizing that it would not cost much to fix it at Staples, Business Depot. It is intended to be light hearted and humourous and from my perspective the use of dum in place of drum was just being used for humour purposes."

So, lighten up folks. Sometimes we look for controversy when there's simply humor.

This seems pointless to me. The only people who would "get" the ad would be those of us who love drum corps and could care less what Staples thinks of it.