Staples Business Depot insulting drum corps

I have a friend, who is also a big drum corps fan, who works at the corporate offices for Business Depot. I checked things out with him and got the following reply,

"It is a radio commercial that has started airing recently and it is for Copy & Print. The situation is that some letterhead was produced with a typo so that Drum Corp was Dum Corp and the message was that with 39 cent colour copies, it doesn't cost much to redo the letterhead. I did not find it derogatory to drum corps but rather making fun of a mistake and recognizing that it would not cost much to fix it at Staples, Business Depot. It is intended to be light hearted and humourous and from my perspective the use of dum in place of drum was just being used for humour purposes."

So, lighten up folks. Sometimes we look for controversy when there's simply humor.

And it brings attention to drum corps. I think it's a positive.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

People are complaining? I look at this as just another method of exposure of the drum corps activity in general. Maybe someone hearing this commercial will say, "Drum corps? What's that?" then look it up, find some videos on YouTube, then become a lifelong fan and fork over $500+ a year for it.

I have a friend, who is also a big drum corps fan, who works at the corporate offices for Business Depot. I checked things out with him and got the following reply,

"It is a radio commercial that has started airing recently and it is for Copy & Print. The situation is that some letterhead was produced with a typo so that Drum Corp was Dum Corp and the message was that with 39 cent colour copies, it doesn't cost much to redo the letterhead. I did not find it derogatory to drum corps but rather making fun of a mistake and recognizing that it would not cost much to fix it at Staples, Business Depot. It is intended to be light hearted and humourous and from my perspective the use of dum in place of drum was just being used for humour purposes."

So, lighten up folks. Sometimes we look for controversy when there's simply humor.

That's how I interpreted it right off the bat.

OK well I didn't see it that way. If you're offended, email them. If you're not -don't.

I love drum corps.....but I also realize that a boycott of Staples by drum corps fans would mean nothing to them!!!

To be honest I think most of the Staples commercials I've seen are dumb. They don't make me want to go to theirs stores or do business with them.