Not one DCI show in Florida or Louisiana this year.....

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Rain In Jackson Mississippi Causing some delays when Finals were there. Weather can be an issue no matter where you are in the country. Hurricanes can go all the way up the East Coast and hit places like Boston, Where Finals have been held. Tornadoes hit all over the mid-west and whatnot. California has threats of earthquakes, although it is very unlikely.

As far as the housing in Florida, its all over the state. The corps I am working for was having a hard time finding a place to stay in Miami for their winter camps. The best thing going is that Private Schools dont have to abide by these rules, But try finding 10 private schools that want to house a corps in a certain area.

Just want to point out a few things...

Calling Denver "the west" may have been appropriate 50 years ago, but not today. News Flash: The Mean Center of US Poulation is now west of the Mississippi River.

Hurricaines suck, but they don't just happen in FL and LA. Last year we traveled 2600 miles to Rochester, NY for DCA Prelims (and eventually Finals...YAY) to perform our show in Hurricaine Ernesto. While it was no longer a hurricaine by the time it got there, that was still a lot of wind and rain. However, I will always be able to tell the story I got to watch the Connecticut Hurricaines...in a hurricaine!!

Yes, having finals in Pasadena will cost East Coast corps more money to travel out here. Just remember, BD and SCV aren't hanging out waiting for everyone to come meet them. Both corps are hitting the East coast for tour, just like every other year.

It is a shame there are no shows in FL and LA. Hopefully, that's just a one time occurence.

I didn't even bother to read the rest of the thread because as far as I'm concerned as a former marching member what ever keeps people out of the sun in Orlando, FL and WEST MONROE, LA is a good thing.

West Monroe just may be the hottest place in the universe. I hated every second of being there all 3 years I was there.

At Spirit we cut the day a few hours short on account of the heat and I remember hearing in 2005 that many corps stopped rehearsal early that show day because it was just so bloody hot.

Edited by Spirit Age-Out

There will be a show in Louisiana. In Lafayette at cajun field...

Some folks didn't see this, so here it is again. July 18th. Performing corps:

Santa Clara Vanguard

Phantom Regiment

Boston Crusaders

Glassmen

Spirit from JSU

Blue Stars

Cascades

Troopers

Revolution

Corps are listed in reverse order of appearance.

Looks like a pretty decent lineup.

Edited by sdstar

Oh well Steve, just trying to point it out that DCI has been out to the Western part of the Country. Denver is considered West in some eyes, just google it. Some areas of Colorado are considered the "plains"..etc..etc..etc.. Denver may be considered West to some. I'm not looking at mileage, I'm looking at maps.

I'm not here to argue semantics about it I was just trying to bring up a point about it.

I'm not even mad about it being in Pasadena...I say good for them. Yeah they deserve it, have fun.

It was just a point of conversation I was trying to bring up to those who are saying it hasn't been out "West" before. IMO and obviously others Denver is considered West.

But I guess not to you uh? :) :P

I understand steve's analogy with madison and boston. If that was the furthest east finals ever was, I think many people on the east coast would say that finals were not in the east, even if it was considered the "eastern" part of the country, which I know Madison is not but for this analogies sake. I think its fair to say finals havent been out west yet, save TOC.