A lot of people complain that their corps didn't place as well

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True! But, it's what you do AFTER you win that separates the gentlemen/ladies from the boys/girls.

Agreed. If you win and act like a jerk, nobody's going to respect you.

I'm not saying they didn't deserve it, but 1988 Madison Scouts were probably really surprised that they got first. I was talking to one of the members and he was telling me how they just wanted to beat Star and when they realized they had beat BD they went crazy and when they realized they won the whole thing he said they freaked out a bit.

-Weedy

HAHA. Poor bk .. they are like the red headed step child of finals 2006.

No, they're just BK - it's like that every year. Kind of part of that corps identity at this point.

very good point - i did not see them...however, some on staff did. I think GH watche them as well from the side (which he has a habit of doing). Granted, these are hardly objective views, but it did happen. In this case i have to admit to another factor though - generally a staff or a corps director will look at their own show with much more scrutiny than a fan, or even a judge...they know what to look for, they know who has trouble making sets, and have heard the music so many times that the effect is lost on them, and the mistakes stick out.

I can understand your theory. Makes sense since staff does know what you're supposed to be doing, and also knows where the mistakes are likely to occur.

At an early season standstill in '74, the Kingsmen beat VK by less than a tenth. Rocco Oliverio, their brass guy at the time, walked over to our staff and said the Kingsmen won it on their name, that we were the better corps that day. Not like Rocco to do that.

Garry in Vegas

• 1 month later...
I'm not saying they didn't deserve it, but 1988 Madison Scouts were probably really surprised that they got first. I was talking to one of the members and he was telling me how they just wanted to beat Star and when they realized they had beat BD they went crazy and when they realized they won the whole thing he said they freaked out a bit.

-Weedy

I don't think they were the only ones that were surprised........you'll notice that the "random draw" system was scrapped the very next year.

More like the second cousin who comes to the family barbeque and shows off his spelling abilities for the crowd. After a few minutes, you turn away, impressed, but not exactly enthralled. B)

Edited by mobrien