Good music, bad show.

I don't like Phantom of the Opera off of the field. :o or Stonehenge. (Cadets 98) On the field, though, yes.

A bit more could have been done with Shosty's stuff (in particular Symphony No. 10, mvmt. 2) by Phantom Regiment, 2002.

Also, there's some things I haven't heard the original of but I can't imagine it being as fun off the field. In particular, whatever the second movement of Cavies 99 is. but that's probably cause I found it very geekily amusing, visually as well as things like the obnoxious "D'HUT!"s. >_>

And as far as original music goes, Cavies 03 isn't amazing to listen to, not until the third movement really. But the visual program with it made it amazing.

Edited by Stryfe

Glassmen 01 and Phantom 05, I just didn't think Gershwin works on the field very well. I think Glassmen actually had a better presentation of the music on the field. Phantom had too many forced runs in the show. Gerswhin is one of the few composers where I enjoy piano versions better than corps versions. Although I have enjoyed corps who have used Porgy and Bess.

Bad music, House Of the Rising Sun . Devils 02, when I heard the show announcement, I thought I was not going to like the show, but I absoluetly loved the musical arrangements from BD that year.

Bad music, House Of the Rising Sun . Devils 02, when I heard the show announcement, I thought I was not going to like the show, but I absoluetly loved the musical arrangements from BD that year.

"So, uh, what are you trying to tell me little man...you have a problem with the Zep?" :)

Edit: [To clarify, this is a quote from the Venture Brothers - on Adult Swim]

I was just kidding, you are more than welcome to like whatever you want. :)

Edited by raphael18

"So, uh, what are you trying to tell me little man...you have a problem with the Zep?" :)

I shouldn't have phrased it as BAD MUSIC. I don't really think of music as being bad, just a song selection that I absolutely can't stand. That and Stairway to Heaven are two of the songs I dislike more than almost any other songs. Just because I don't like a song doesn't make it bad.

But the amazing performance by Blue Devils, made me really love that song by corps.

Stonehenge (Cadets 98) is a great piece for brass band, and I really didn't like it on the field. Same thing with their treatment of "The Place Where Dreams Come True" from Field of Dreams. Great music, not good on the field. On the other hand, I love what they did with "Tulsa" in 96 and their 92 and 93 treatment of Holsinger's music.

My brain's kind of fried. I'll talk about other corps later.