Vic, Innovate, Musser, Pro Mark

pito'evil

Just wanted to get some opinions here. What company do you feel makes the best mallets and concert sticks for a indoor front ensemble.

I'm kinda leaning towards Innovate or Vic but I've played on some pro mark in the past and I was impressed.

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

edit: oops ment Vater not Musser :P

Edited by pito'evil

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've heard nothing but good things about Innovative's pit stuff

can't say the same about their drumline stuff though (it sucks); go w/ Vic for drumline. always.

Vic Firth Jeff Lee series. Definitely! They are the best.

Edited by Jazzycat1

I'm not a percussionist but I watched our deals go down. We had sponsorship offers from both Vic Firth and Innovative and our staff decided that Innovative is better because they are a smaller company and care more about their product. We've been using their mallets for several years.

I've had abs fabulous with the Pro-Mark mallets for my front ens.

I've got many mallets that I've had for three seasons already (and will use them for a fourth season) and aren't by any means in 'ratty' condition. We can easily afford to replace them but they hold up like a champ for us.

I love the brand and their "people" are great. If you ever have a problem, call them and they'll make it right.

i've heard nothing but good things about Innovative's pit stuff

can't say the same about their drumline stuff though (it sucks); go w/ Vic for drumline. always.

All the innovative stuff i've played (Bret Kuhns Indoor, Jim casellas, FS-2, and Paul Rennicks) were amazing sticks. They crush most vic firth sticks i've bought from local music shops, but then again those innovative sticks were online orders and stuff from friends.

Pro mark doesn't make terrible pit mallets. they just make some of the worst drum sticks ever. Their EXM series is a nice solo mallet. I'm not sure which mallets would do better inside. I'm not really sure it would matter that much. I know RCC uesd the pesante series mallet by Vic Firth and they had a pretty good sound from it.

As an educator I have to recomend Vic Firth for all your percussion impliments simply because of the superior quality and great customer service. I've been in groups that have used both Vic Firth and Innovative Percussion products. I have enjoyed using IP stuff in the past, but when it came time to choose the products I myself would use personally as well as for my competitive groups, both scholastic and drum corps, there was certainly only one choice.

Vic Firth has shown time and time again that they are commited to making the best products with the most wide selection of implements available today. No matter if it's a solo for regions or college auditions or for the outdoor and indoor activities, there are multiple choices to suit your situation. And with the introduction of the multi-application series, there is now a choice for the economically sensitive schools that can cover all of their needs(outdoor, indoor, concert and solo) while still allowing you to use the best equipment available to your students.

There are also many people there that would assit you in choosing the correct implements for your school.

Hope this helps!

I'm with Vic.

No other brand hold a candle to Vic Firth's battery selection IMO.

Their standard tenor mallet is the closest thing to a Gambal you can buy...does anyone here remember Gambal? They made the best tenor mallets, I still have one pair kicking around, but I'm afraid to play with them.