Types of Shoes

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any good suggestions for someone with flat feet?

Even though I have never marched or whatnot,I am a runner,so I know shoes.For flat feet,I use the Brooks Adrenalines GTS 6 or 7.Their the most comfortable shoes I've ever had.I have well over 500 miles on them right now thanks to cross country and track,not to mention summer training,and their still the softest shoes ever.A must buy in my opinion.

Another shoe is also the Mizuno Wave Rider.Thier pretty good,but not as good as Brooks.

In all though,those two shoes are both really good for just about anybody.

The best kind of shoe for a summer of marching is a Cross Trainer. They differ from running shoes in that they're built for a rougher terrain and therefore have more support in the ankles for hard direction changes. Like Jake said, running shoes are only made to hit the ground in one direction, and offer little to no support for the ankle if you change direction.

As far as brands, I'd recommend Adidas or New Balance. Both are high quality, durable shoes.

Stay away from Nike. They have great advertising, but have yet to really put out a superior product.

As for Brooks - my father has run marathons in them for 20 years and has loved them. He got me a pair of Brooks cross trainers for my first season marching and I wound up with a sprained ankle, aggravated knees, and a pulled groin. Plus, they began to fray at the seaming after about one week of spring training. They may work for a lot of people, but I did have a negative experience. Used Adidas the next summer and they worked great, no injuries.

Something else to consider AFTER you shop for shoes. Strengthen your feet, ankles, and lower legs NOW and you will be much better off, regardless of the shoe you purchase. Stretch your Achilles tendon and do calf raises daily. Strong muscles and supple tendons are key to warding off injuries, and once you hit spring training, it's too late.

Best of luck!

I've used the brand Avia for the past few years and I've had no problem with them. I find them quite comfortable and have the right amount of support and flexibility I need.

Asics - Comfortwise they're just the best. They don't hurt your feet after a long day (at least not in my experience) and have a lot of heel support. And they're aired very well, so they dry pretty quick after a rainy day and ventilate in 100 degree weather.

I had a friend who marched in Nike Free's last summer and he said they were incredible. The only problem with those shoes is that if you need more arch support, those really don't provide the needed support very well.

I marched barefoot. All the thyme.