Charles Ives on the field

It would be interesting to see what a well designed Charles Ives show would look like, and what pieces one could use to make a workable show.

I'm trying to picture if "The Unanswered Question" would work on the field or if it's ever been tried.

As far as which corps would try it, I can think of 4 who would make it work-

SCV, Phantom, possibly Cadets, or Cavies (just to see what Mike Gaines could come up with).

Edited by wolfgang

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to see what a well designed Charles Ives show would look like, and what pieces one could use to make a workable show.

I'm trying to picture if "The Unanswered Question" would work on the field or if it's ever been tried.

SCV, Phantom, possibly Cadets, or Cavies (just to see what Mike Gaines could come up with).

Didn't Glassmen play Ives in '95? Maybe "Variations on America?

Dinosaur alert....1971 Cadets....

We played Ives' "Variations on America" as part of our Revolutionary War show.

I looked it up. Glassmen played Ives in '96.

Second symphony, fifth movement.

Yep, complete with the "#### YOU!" chord at the end, although we had to soften it with a final major chord halfway through the season.

Yep, complete with the "#### YOU!" chord at the end, although we had to soften it with a final major chord halfway through the season.

I really liked it. I remember seeing the Glassmen at the Evanston show on July 4th, 1996 and about the time the Ives started, fireworks began in the distance.

It was very cool.

Ives wrote most of his music as a personal exercise, never imagining anyone would ever perform it.

As a result, staging it is often incredibly difficult, even in a concert hall.

Could it be done? Sure. Would it be a crowd pleaser or succesful competitively? Doubt it.

Well, we didn't make Finals in '96 but the crowd did like us. One out of two.

Most of the original stuff being done today would make Charles Ives seem almost Baroque in approach. :rolleyes: