Drum Corps parties

When I saw the other thread closed, I had to laugh because legal drinking age in Illinois was 18 when I was in corps. It changed to 21 while I was 18, So I was legal, then I was NOT legal! But it was still 18 in Wisconsin so we would just drive up there, which by todays standards is a horrifying thought. So I thought to myself "well, it WASN'T underage drinking by some of the older corps members back then, so how would you define that?"

Anyway, the classic parties when I was in corps, especially the first corps I was in, The Vaquero's, were the New Years Eve bashes. Holy cow, did we have a blast. My mom and dad were happy because they new where I was and that we were just staying there all night (which we really did)... and the simplicity of those parties was the thing that made them so awesome. We would stay up until it was getting light, then sleep in real late, and once or twice they made breakfast for us all the following morning. Probably did that party 4 or 5 times.

When I went to Guardsmen, a group of us would always go to the Ground Round (a throw the peanut shells on the floor kind of place) and eat bad for us food and have pitchers. That came to an abrupt end when the legal drinking age changed as I mentioned above.

Good times...

Ahh, the Ground Round ! I got my eye's opened wide there the frist night I went. My old friends David Royce, Lloyd Dukes,Hutch,Dale Warren,myself,and a few others went there after practice. Many pitchers later I had go to the john and when I came out everybody was gone ! I can still remember paying the $63.00 bar tab !

My Friends ! :wink:

Geno, what was the name of the bar we all went to down by UW in Madison ? Did'nt an alum. own it ?

Edited by Old Geezer

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang. I've been to that UW bar too. Very stark, but a few cool Scouts bumper stickers in the windows. I do know this... it's still there, and it's still open.

My apologies in jumping so quickly to close the thread when it was brought to my attention.

Thanks to prodigal bari and Bill L. for bringing to my attention the old drinking age being 18, as being very young when that changed, it completely slipped my mind.

Please go back to reminiscing - but just as a reminder, make sure your stories are in the era when the drinking age was 18. Anything since the drinking age has been 21 will be removed and action taken.

Thanks again.

Geno, what was the name of the bar we all went to down by UW in Madison ? Did'nt an alum. own it ?

Might that be the Stone Hearth? I thought that I heard and alum owned that when I was going to the UW in the late 70's/early 80's. Of course lots of brain damage has occured since then and I could be completly wrong.

Aww, the Stone Hearth. Thats it .

Yes! I can still remember some things from the 70's. Woo Hoo!

Please go back to reminiscing - but just as a reminder, make sure your stories are in the era when the drinking age was 18.

:ph34r::wink::ph34r:

Oh brother, I guess I can't add anything since the drinking age was 21 in Calif when I was 18. :sshh:

Oh wait, free day in NYC (drinking age was 18), now that was a party!!

My apologies in jumping so quickly to close the thread when it was brought to my attention.

Thanks to prodigal bari and Bill L. for bringing to my attention the old drinking age being 18, as being very young when that changed, it completely slipped my mind.

Please go back to reminiscing - but just as a reminder, make sure your stories are in the era when the drinking age was 18. Anything since the drinking age has been 21 will be removed and action taken.

Thanks again.

No problem. Shoot, some of us are having a hard time remembering those days!

And, that was NOT (only) because of the self-abuse we heaped on ourselves... :wink:

Anybody I know in the above pic? and what year? I think I still have my 82 Puker shirt w/ Mr. Rogers on it.

That picture is from 1980. 1979's design was of an open toilet and 1981's featured Ziggy and his dog (use your imagination!).

On tour in 1980, whenever we crossed a state line, the first thing on our minds was "What's the drinking age here?"