virginia tech

strange that the websites that have used this picture, other than this one, have omitted the peace signs from the shot. granted they were probably just looking for a picture with his face in it, but now that ive seen the whole image, im surprised they wouldnt include that. kind of a significant detail.

Look at that picture again, it's not a peace sign. It looks more like a gang sign. Not saying he's in a gang at all, lots of people make gang signs while posing for pictures just to be funny and they're not really in a gang. Maybe that's why some websites just focus on the face.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a somewhat lighter note, I heard on the news that the Marching Virginians congregated outside the hospital where many of the wounded are under care, and played the school's fight song.

May God bless the families and victims of this deplorable tragedy, and may they take the murderer and his words off of/out of the media and let him fade into obscurity. He deserves none of the credibility that the news networks are giving him just to capitalize on the sensationalism of it all.

I heard about this on the radio this morning. They had some of the audio from it. Rock on, Virginia Tech Marching Band. That was very classy of them to do. The stories of hope and love that come from this tragedy are always wonderful to hear. :)

If he would have been expelled, then the parents and the ACLU would have sued the school for discrimination and infringement of his right to free speech because they didn't like his "dark" writing. They would have either won or settled out and he would have either gone back to school, or did what he did anyway.

As for your parental responsibility rant, I must start by asking if you are a parent. If you are, do you honestly believe that you know everything that is going on in you child's life? Have you parented a teenager? I am extremely close to both of my children, of which one is a teenager, but I am enough of a realist to know that one...I don't know everything and two...I am biased toward them and will always see them and there actions through a biased lens.

And as for your "teacher and administration" comment...the expectations that are placed on them were fought for by them. Every time something like this happens, people like you want to cry "it's the parents" but yet how many states have laws that allow teenage girls to go to a school nurse, be taken to have an abortion, and the parents don't have to be informed of any of it. How many states now have laws that stop guidance counselors from revealing the content of student counseling sessions without the students permission. How many states now have laws that allow a school to force parents to drug their kids for ADD and ADHD in order to attend school. Parental rights are being legislated away and it is teachers and administrators who are supporting these laws, and then crying about irresponsible parents.

If you want to put the responsibility on parents, then stop our legislators, administrators, and teachers from taking away parents ability to parent.

And one last point...this guy was in college...not high school. He was an adult.

Less government and less ACLU types ftw

Look at that picture again, it's not a peace sign. It looks more like a gang sign. Not saying he's in a gang at all, lots of people make gang signs while posing for pictures just to be funny and they're not really in a gang. Maybe that's why some websites just focus on the face.

I'm sorry but that is most definitely a peace sign

If he would have been expelled, then the parents and the ACLU would have sued the school for discrimination and infringement of his right to free speech because they didn't like his "dark" writing. They would have either won or settled out and he would have either gone back to school, or did what he did anyway.

As for your parental responsibility rant, I must start by asking if you are a parent. If you are, do you honestly believe that you know everything that is going on in you child's life? Have you parented a teenager? I am extremely close to both of my children, of which one is a teenager, but I am enough of a realist to know that one...I don't know everything and two...I am biased toward them and will always see them and there actions through a biased lens.

And as for your "teacher and administration" comment...the expectations that are placed on them were fought for by them. Every time something like this happens, people like you want to cry "it's the parents" but yet how many states have laws that allow teenage girls to go to a school nurse, be taken to have an abortion, and the parents don't have to be informed of any of it. How many states now have laws that stop guidance counselors from revealing the content of student counseling sessions without the students permission. How many states now have laws that allow a school to force parents to drug their kids for ADD and ADHD in order to attend school. Parental rights are being legislated away and it is teachers and administrators who are supporting these laws, and then crying about irresponsible parents.

If you want to put the responsibility on parents, then stop our legislators, administrators, and teachers from taking away parents ability to parent.

And one last point...this guy was in college...not high school. He was an adult.

Yes I am a parent. My child's an adult. I'm not completely ignorant of his activities or state of mind. Did you ever see "Parenthood"? "You never stop worrying. It never ends...."

I would hope you would know if one of them had been committed to a mental hospital, as Mr. Cho was.

I don't need the whole political rant, thank you. You can be a good parent if you want to put in the effort. And I've never had any government agency interference.

In fact, I know of very negligent parents who needed some interference and the government agencies failed. Us, them, society in general.

I just got back from the grocery store where some four year old practically knocked me over getting in the automatic door. His mom thought it was funny. No stop that, behave, she had nothin'

Maybe he'll go home, play Grand Theft Auto on x-box, then when he is old enough, he can brandish a weapon, kill people and we can all blame it on "x-box".

You do understand that at this person's point in his life, his parents' involvement is largley up to him, right?

If I were to invoke the FERPA laws, and my parents were to call the school, the school cannot legally even confirm whether or not I am a student here.

You do understand that at this person's point in his life, his parents' involvement is largley up to him, right?

If I were to invoke the FERPA laws, and my parents were to call the school, the school cannot legally even confirm whether or not I am a student here.

But man, how could they have not known he was committed to a mental facility?

I know my mistake is, is that I am thinking in terms of my own parenting. And from what I see around me, even during a trip to the grocery store, there are some disciplinary issues that aren't being addressed.

How adult are your kids? As somebody who has kids who are currently kids, I have experienced interference and I do know what it takes to find out anything from my child's school without first having his permission. The last time I took my son to his doctor, the doctor said to me, "at age 13 we ask the patient a few questions in private, so I would appreciate it if you would leave the room while I talk to your son." I refused and he is no longer my son's doctor. My refusal to leave the room, however, constituted in the doctor's mind a reason to call authorities and report my unwillingness to allow my son to answer questions as a reason to investigate whatever I was obviously hiding.

I'm sorry to hear about your grocery store experience but I'm sure it's just because the mom's mom never corrected her....after all...it's the parents fault...right?

Edited by higherlouderfaster