virginia tech

I'm sorry to hear about your grocery store experience but I'm sure it's just because the mom's mom never corrected her....after all...it's the parents fault...right?

Yes, it was that mother's fault. Her child was running throughout the grocery store almost knocking not only my middle person to the floor but a few seniors.

I had a small child at one time. I took him to public places. Even mass. He behaved.

I'm apparently not making my point so I'll take my leave of this subject but not before one last comment.

Yes, I believe there is some bad parenting out there. What comes first, the chicken or the egg, I don't know.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'd trust David's opinion on this one :).

dbc is named David also? How did you know my name?

How adult are your kids? As somebody who has kids who are currently kids, I have experienced interference and I do know what it takes to find out anything from my child's school without first having his permission. The last time I took my son to his doctor, the doctor said to me, "at age 13 we ask the patient a few questions in private, so I would appreciate it if you would leave the room while I talk to your son." I refused and he is no longer my son's doctor. My refusal to leave the room, however, constituted in the doctor's mind a reason to call authorities and report my unwillingness to allow my son to answer questions as a reason to investigate whatever I was obviously hiding.

I'm sorry to hear about your grocery store experience but I'm sure it's just because the mom's mom never corrected her....after all...it's the parents fault...right?

How open is your relationship with your son? Does he tell you everything and anything? Maybe there's stuff he doesn't wanna tell you about, or that you don't know about, or that he's just not comfortable discussing in front of you, but that is important enough to his health that the doctor needs to know about it. The doctor needs to know the truth about whether he smokes, chews, drinks, has had sexual relations, etc. Most 13 year olds wouldn't be up front about that in front of their parents.

So the doctor was probably following procedure when he called authorities. You let the doctor know that you didn't want secrets kept from you, but he may have interpreted it as "we have secrets to keep from the doctor". He did what he had to do, 'cause he doesn't know if you're molesting him or not. He's taking precautions just in case. Would be nice if precautions were taken in Cho's case too, then maybe 32 people didn't have to die the way they did.

I thought we changed the flavor of this thread to something positive, let's just agree to disagree and focus our energy on honoring the victims.

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=26830

Virginia Tech Band Plays for Wounded Hokies

Written by Ayesha Thomas, Multimedia Producer

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) -- A morale boost Thursday for some of the Virginia Tech students still hospitalized after Monday's tragedy.

The Hokies marching band appeared unexpectedly outside their windows to play the school's fight song, Tech Triumph. Some of the six students there peeked out and waved.

Freshman Hilary Strollo gazed out with a smile, and suddenly called out, "Let's go!" The band, surprised at first, shouted back in unison, "Hokies!"

One band member said every member who lived close enough eagerly agreed to make the hastily arranged appearance. She called music "the same thing as a hug."

The hospital's chief executive thanked the band, calling the serenade "the best medicine of all."

Nine people remain hospitalized after Monday's massacre.

Are peace signs given with both hands, palm-sides in? If it is a peace sign, it's not the 60's flowerchild way of one hand, palm-side out. Maybe it is...

They can be. In fact as dumb as I feel saying this, I think most modern style peace signs are given palm-side in.

I'm 90% sure that's what he intended. I can't picture Stack flashing gang signs, but if he did mean it to be gang signs then probably right after that picture was taken he busted out laughing. He just wasn't the kind of person to be all "thug life" or whatever and the mental image of him pretending to be is pretty funny actually. He most certainly wasn't in a gang, haha

I've never heard of a gang symbol that looked like peace signs though and peace signs would be more characteristic of him.

I thought we changed the flavor of this thread to something positive, let's just agree to disagree and focus our energy on honoring the victims.

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) -- A morale boost Thursday for some of the Virginia Tech students still hospitalized after Monday's tragedy.

The Hokies marching band appeared unexpectedly outside their windows to play the school's fight song, Tech Triumph. Some of the six students there peeked out and waved.

Freshman Hilary Strollo gazed out with a smile, and suddenly called out, "Let's go!" The band, surprised at first, shouted back in unison, "Hokies!"

One band member said every member who lived close enough eagerly agreed to make the hastily arranged appearance. She called music "the same thing as a hug."

The hospital's chief executive thanked the band, calling the serenade "the best medicine of all."

The band is also taking a group down to Georgia for Stack's memorial service tomorrow, which I'm sure the family will really appreciate

Nine people remain hospitalized after Monday's masscre.

Thanks. The band kids are the coolest kids at school.

I'd like to let people know that the people around here are wearing VT ribbons.

And I hope everyone saw Ozzie Guillen and Mark Buerhle wearing the VT hats Wednesday night after Buerhle threw the no-hitter.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

They can be. In fact as dumb as I feel saying this, I think most modern style peace signs are given palm-side in.

I'm 90% sure that's what he intended. I can't picture Stack flashing gang signs, but if he did mean it to be gang signs then probably right after that picture was taken he busted out laughing. He just wasn't the kind of person to be all "thug life" or whatever and the mental image of him pretending to be is pretty funny actually. He most certainly wasn't in a gang, haha

I've never heard of a gang symbol that looked like peace signs though and peace signs would be more characteristic of him.

So, you knew him? I had no idea. I assumed you knew as much about him as I and everyone else did. In that case, I'm sorry for the personal loss you have in this tragedy.

Just to reiterate, I didn't think he was in a gang because he did something that looked like a gang sign. I know that non-gang people might do gang signs just for a joke. Much like all the girls in this video. when I noticed the other hand, I thought it might have been a "mock" gang sign.

edit: sorry for that bit of humor (the video) in what is a serious thread.

Edited by madscout96

Used to be peace was palm side to person getting the sign, love was palm to person giving the sign. Same sign just turn the hand 180 degrees.

Sammy Davis Jr used to end with "Peace, love, brotherhood" while giving the three signs back in the 70s.

Look at that picture again, it's not a peace sign. It looks more like a gang sign. Not saying he's in a gang at all, lots of people make gang signs while posing for pictures just to be funny and they're not really in a gang. Maybe that's why some websites just focus on the face.
I'm sorry but that is most definitely a peace sign

Used to be peace was palm side to person getting the sign, love was palm to person giving the sign. Same sign just turn the hand 180 degrees.

Sammy Davis Jr used to end with "Peace, love, brotherhood" while giving the three signs back in the 70s.

Back in the 70's a peace sign flashed with the palm in towards you was considered an insult... IN ENGLAND I believe. Not here in the states. The traditional "peace" sign I grew up with was indeed the palm away from you peace sign... but I know that the kids these days have (as ALL generations of teens do and did and will continue to do when those kids that are 9 & 10 now become teens, and so on and so forth) developed their own style of giving the peace sign and using words that we used differently 25 years ago, and that is what "Stack" is giving there in that picture.

I asked the 19 year old girl who lives next door to me what did she think that sign Stack is giving meant...and she said "he's giving the peace out sign." Then I asked my 17 year old nephew the same question today and he said "Peace!" (almost pronouncing it "PACE" ...)

So there you have it... if you ask the right people. I believe that's what most of our DCP HS & college kids have said all along here, anyway, so they're probably all going: :doh:

Our Governor (VA) asked that everyone wear something from Virginia Tech today.....even if it were only their colors. It was nice to see all those in support of Virginia Tech. One guy said on our local radio, "Today, we are ALL Hokies!" :doh:

Edited by Malibu