Adding instruments equates to:

What do you think?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. If DCI adds woodwinds, DCI is a collection of:

• drum and bugle corps
    • marching bands
  2. 2. What is the difference between the marching band idiom and the drum corps idiom?

• Woodwinds only
    • Electronics/Sampling only
    • Competitive touring only
    • Woodwinds & Electronics/Sampling
    • Woodwinds & Competitive Touring
    • Electronics/Sampling and Competitive Touring
    • Woodwinds & Electronics/Sampling & Competitive Touring
    • I find no real difference between the two
  3. 3. When will DCI units stop being drum corps and become marching bands?

• When woodwinds are added
    • When electronics/sampling are added
    • When either WW or Electronics/Sampling are added
    • Drum corps will always be drum corps; known as a "cut above"
    • DCI no longer has drum corps, they have marching bands now
    • DCI no longer has drum corps; they're not marching bands, but they're not corps either

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple, when ever ww is added, it is no longer drum and bugle corps.

The distinction is attitude/intensity. Corps people REALLY want to be there...I know there are exceptions, but allow me to speak in generalities for now.

For example:

If you tell a marching band to do a couple laps for conditioning...there will be grumbling, some walkers, and probably a few phone calls from parents threatening law suits.

If you tell a drum corps to do a couple laps for conditioning...they will be gone before you finish saying it without more than a groan or two, and they will do it until you tell them to stop (the classic running right after lunch, someone runs to the side, hurls, and then gets right back in the block).

Marching bands are becomming more competetive, they are starting to travel a little more (still not comparable in this respect), but they lack the independant culture that drum corps have. Although I believe that woodwinds will detract markedly from the culture of drum corps, corps will still be a cut above anything that bands can produce because of the kind of person that joins the activity.

The distinction is attitude/intensity. Corps people REALLY want to be there...I know there are exceptions, but allow me to speak in generalities for now.

For example:

If you tell a marching band to do a couple laps for conditioning...there will be grumbling, some walkers, and probably a few phone calls from parents threatening law suits.

If you tell a drum corps to do a couple laps for conditioning...they will be gone before you finish saying it without more than a groan or two, and they will do it until you tell them to stop (the classic running right after lunch, someone runs to the side, hurls, and then gets right back in the block).

Marching bands are becomming more competetive, they are starting to travel a little more (still not comparable in this respect), but they lack the independant culture that drum corps have. Although I believe that woodwinds will detract markedly from the culture of drum corps, corps will still be a cut above anything that bands can produce because of the kind of person that joins the activity.

So, if you got a marching band together that wasn't associated with a school, but rather was an independent group made up of people from different places, they would complain about running laps and not "REALLY want to be there"?

What about a drum and bugle corps that was associated with a school (and there's at least one, in Florida). They're automatically more gung-ho about what they do than the marching band from the other high school a few miles away?

So, if you got a marching band together that wasn't associated with a school, but rather was an independent group made up of people from different places, they would complain about running laps and not "REALLY want to be there"?

What about a drum and bugle corps that was associated with a school (and there's at least one, in Florida). They're automatically more gung-ho about what they do than the marching band from the other high school a few miles away?

Generally speaking...yeah! Not only do drum corps do what they do, but the members pay out the *** to experience it. The independant marching band is still a band, and subject to all the limitations that come with that. After all, bands are inherently meant to entertain, that is their ultimate purpose (and their exclusive purpose at the collegiate level).

As for Spirit from JSU - they are a bit of an anomoly. First, yes they are affiliated with the school, but to what extent? LOTS of corps have connections with schools - offering credit, housing, etc. The difference is that it takes a special sort of person to make the sacrifices that marching corps requires (we don't see them like that, but you give up a lot to do this activity). Also, there is a MAJOR distinction between High School and Collegiate marching ensembles - and whether they are voluntary or compulsory.

There is a lot of variety out there, but I stand by my general statement that nearly all marching bands do not have the same intensity that drum corps exhibit, nor the endurance to keep that level for a whole season.

Generally speaking...yeah! Not only do drum corps do what they do, but the members pay out the *** to experience it. The independant marching band is still a band, and subject to all the limitations that come with that. After all, bands are inherently meant to entertain, that is their ultimate purpose (and their exclusive purpose at the collegiate level).

As for Spirit from JSU - they are a bit of an anomoly. First, yes they are affiliated with the school, but to what extent? LOTS of corps have connections with schools - offering credit, housing, etc. The difference is that it takes a special sort of person to make the sacrifices that marching corps requires (we don't see them like that, but you give up a lot to do this activity). Also, there is a MAJOR distinction between High School and Collegiate marching ensembles - and whether they are voluntary or compulsory.

There is a lot of variety out there, but I stand by my general statement that nearly all marching bands do not have the same intensity that drum corps exhibit, nor the endurance to keep that level for a whole season.

Generally speaking? I gave you a couple specific situations.

Members paying out the ***? My age out year in a div. I corps, I payed $200 in dues. Lots of people in other corps paid $1,000 to march, and most pay at least that amount today. I didn't pay out the *** to march. does that mean I didn't "really want to be there" or that I'd grumble if they made us run?

Bands are meant to entertain? Do BOA style bands have entertainment as their ultimate purpose? No, education and competition (not necessarily in that order) are more important to them.

Corps having connections with schools? I can't believe you're counting "housing". They have just as much connection with SYSCO. But even a school offering credit to participants in a group sponsored by a private organization is still not the same as a group that's run by and and funded by a school.

You're making general statements, I get that. "Most bands are this, most corps are that". But if there are exceptions, can you really have definition?

For example:

I don't agree. I've seen marching bands that have great attitudes and are very intense. There are marching bands that have conditioning, too. The difference is in the instrumentation, sorry. I like marching band. There are many styles of it. Drum corps is a band that marches... However, drumcorps is a subset of marching band. Marching band is NOT a subset of drumcorps.... Venn Diagram! B)

Brandon, are there any BOA type marching bands in your area? These bands typically have large dues $500 or even more a year, & practice every day... Some rehearse during school hours, some do it before and/or after school. Some rehearse before, during, and after school too.... Many MBs travel to different regionals, every weekend during the fall... Heck, many of the bands have DCI or bigger sized hornlines as well as all those woodwinds. They are as hard core about what they do as they can be in the high school setting. A few schools even have 2 marching bands. One is competitive, and the other is not. While this is not a BOA board, I'm sure many people here are aware of those marching bands.

I know what you're saying, but not all high school bands are show band types. There are many different types of marching bands. Your reasons do take this into account.

There's always marchingbandplanet.com or whatever it's called.