Surround Sound WGI show

Anyone see it today? Holy moly... that was a galactically bad use of sampling. The next time that rule comes up, I want that tape shown.

The kids were pretty good, BTW. I imagine the score reflects mostly show design issues...

Edited by drumcat

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are going to have to be a little bit more detailed as to what exactly happened??? :doh: :doh:

Make that A LOT more detailed....

Was that the show about urban jungle or something. It was about highway and stuff like that and all they did was play ARRRRRRRRR....CRASHHHHHH.......SQUEEEEEEEECH. It was annoying real quick, wouldn't have been so bad but it was like twice as loud as the drumline.

The whole show was based around a day at work... sort of a "groundhog day" theme best I could tell. Anyhow, Alarm clocks, business machines, traffic, horns, bells, phones... anything you could think of that could be sampled was dumped on top of a drumline skidattling around.

The samples were obnoxious, too loud, and completely detracted from the show. I mean seriously... a rooster crow?

Was that the show about urban jungle or something. It was about highway and stuff like that and all they did was play ARRRRRRRRR....CRASHHHHHH.......SQUEEEEEEEECH. It was annoying real quick, wouldn't have been so bad but it was like twice as loud as the drumline.

Yes, that is the one. Mos def.

Anyone see it today? Holy moly... that was a galactically bad use of sampling. The next time that rule comes up, I want that tape shown.

The kids were pretty good, BTW. I imagine the score reflects mostly show design issues...

You know, every time I've heard a corps play something by John Adams I haven't liked it. Does that mean no other corps should ever be allowed to attempt playing a John Adams piece ever again? No, of course not, that's just ridiculous. Same goes with electronics man. Just because one group screws up and basically just makes a badly designed show or has equipment problems that doesn't mean everyone should throw a hissy fit and never attempt it again.

You know, every time I've heard a corps play something by John Adams I haven't liked it. Does that mean no other corps should ever be allowed to attempt playing a John Adams piece ever again? No, of course not, that's just ridiculous. Same goes with electronics man. Just because one group screws up and basically just makes a badly designed show or has equipment problems that doesn't mean everyone should throw a hissy fit and never attempt it again.

There is lots of good sampling going on at WGI today. Get over yourself.