Cadets Marching Technique

When & why did The Cadets change from a knee bend marching technique to straight-legged technique?

I was watching some really good close-up videos on one of those video sites (there's also a good video of behind the scenes action from the staff bus in '87) and the difference is pretty dramatic.

Im pretty sure they actually marched on the left foot until the 84-85 years. In 85 they switched to right foot for a pretty silly reason actually (ask mabklyn...hes on here a lot. As far as straight legged, I would guess early 90's, with the most straight legged being around 96-97...

i'm pretty sure it was 1991 when the corps went to the now familiar straight-leg. it looks much stronger, in my opinion.

as to why? likely, one of the powers that be decided it looks better to keep the stripe on the side of the pants straight. sully and daniel would probably know, if they are around.

the straight-leg reached its most rigid in 1997.

haha, I wonder if Michael Klesch has seen that video...or any of the people on that staff. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's a video on YouTube called cadets '87 staff or something like that. VERY funny stuff....especially knowing one of them nowadays and seeing him in that video 20 years ago.

Im pretty sure they actually marched on the left foot until the 84-85 years. In 85 they switched to right foot for a pretty silly reason actually (ask mabklyn...hes on here a lot. As far as straight legged, I would guess early 90's, with the most straight legged being around 96-97...

Think it was always straight leg. Got straighter as the years went on. Evry year had some changes based on the show or what we felt sucked the year before. 87 was loosened up a lot because of the ballet style we played with that year. Think that rehearsal video shows a lot of bad marching ..... have a feeling the clip behind the fence was a little early on (mid season?).

Also from 89 on regular technique rehearsals became more consistent thanks to Joe Roach and the boys. Didn't do them every day before that.

As for the silly reason for the right foot........ lol ...... we did it for a couple decent reasons.

Jerimiah had so much mixed meter that there was no consistent lead between right or left.

Always looking for something to do that was different from every one else.

The corps ###### me off one day during rehearsal ...... think they were being babies about all the mixed meter stuff and the fact that some times there had to be right foot step offs ...... so I swore a lot and made right foot the norm.

It's probably just a matter of time before Hoppy has their DM's saluting with their left hand. :P

Their technique has been in a pretty constant state of flux for several decades. Various elements seem to come and go and be emphasised to greater or lesser degrees throughout the years.

Sometimes the turn signal elbows are really blatant, other times they're not there at all. The reverse roll on the backwards step is fairly new. The degree of straightness in the leg varies quite widely...97 was frankly silly and had a noticable negative impact.

Their technique has been in a pretty constant state of flux for several decades. Various elements seem to come and go and be emphasised to greater or lesser degrees throughout the years.

Sometimes the turn signal elbows are really blatant, other times they're not there at all. The reverse roll on the backwards step is fairly new. The degree of straightness in the leg varies quite widely...97 was frankly silly and had a noticable negative impact.

the elbows used to be a constant on every backward slide because they keep the marcher from drifting. now they only get added in during the past couple of weeks because they look cool, and honestly, who has time to drift at 200+ bpm?