open statement to drum corps brass arrangers

You have overused the sharp 4 on a major triad to the point of killing it. It is such a cliché at this point that it is meaningless.

Either stop using it or put it to some new use beyond adding bite to the end of a statement that would be too happy with just the major triad.

Listen to Messiaen!

Ha-ha! Boring day listening to old tapes, huh?

I'm pretty sure that considering the extensive history of music, every progression has been used a ton of times. So given that logic:

I'm sick of I6/4 V to I. That's been done way to often.

You guys really need to get a life. Turn off the Beethoven and go put in some Judas Priest. Yes, I know--it's hard to listen to such simple music, but you really need a change of pace right about now.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star 1993 at end of show

SCV 2001 at end of show

BD 1991 at end of opener and end of show

Granted, those are only two but I'm sure there are others...

I believe he was referring to Spin Cycle, a show in which we both marched, not drum corps as a whole.

Turn off the Beethoven and go put in some Judas Priest.

YES! Priest rules! Especially now that Halford is back.

AC/DC is great too. :)

The DCI Championship rings should go to the corps that can pull off a V7/German 6 key shift on G piston/rotor bugles and marching timpani.

Wow, I haven't said a sentence that stupid since Shankarian Analysis! :worthy:

I've got an idea...how about all of us pretentious "stop doing it that way" people get gigs working for a corps, get a gig as a brass arranger, get a gig as, dare I say, a MARCHING BAND ARRANGER, and when you do, and your music is being used by a group other than the www.finalemusic.com forums or the Sibelius site where all the geniuses post their wonderful music, then you can make your points about how you know sooo much about theory and chord progressions and people will pay attention.

Until then, let's not use our 4th semester theory lecture notes as a way to make ourselves sound like we have a valid point.

Oh, and before some tool flames me or makes a remark as though I do not know anything about theory or makes an assumption that I do not arrange for any groups, IM me and I can let you know that I have accomplished these things.

I've got an idea...how about all of us pretentious "stop doing it that way" people get gigs working for a corps, get a gig as a brass arranger, get a gig as, dare I say, a MARCHING BAND ARRANGER, and when you do, and your music is being used by a group other than the www.finalemusic.com forums or the Sibelius site where all the geniuses post their wonderful music, then you can make your points about how you know sooo much about theory and chord progressions and people will pay attention.

Until then, let's not use our 4th semester theory lecture notes as a way to make ourselves sound like we have a valid point.

Oh, and before some tool flames me or makes a remark as though I do not know anything about theory or makes an assumption that I do not arrange for any groups, IM me and I can let you know that I have accomplished these things.

Lol...ok, I actually agree with you ALOT, but..... for one, its been pretty well established that you dont have to be a drum corps arranger, to have an opinion (albeit a strong one) about arranging techniques. Its kind of the same way about having to march to have an opinion about drum corps - yeah they might not REALLY get it until they march, but their opinion is still valid. And you know what...both the add9 and the tritone+major chord are used far more in drum corps than they are proportionately in other music, but so what. I think the op was basically just trying to start a discussion because its the end of april, and we're bored. I think he did a pretty good job.