Has drum corps lost that magic?

Drum Corp hasn't lost the magic for me, but there isn't AS MUCH magic.

I was also in awe of almost all the finalists from 86-92. Now there isn't as many goosebump moments for me, as there was in the past.

I left quarterfinals last year, and couldn't remember half the music that I'd just seen. So not nearly ENOUGH MAGIC for me. I absolutely loved SCV, PR, BD, Crown, Scouts, and Cadets (minus the narration), but felt let down a bit.

Hopefully this year there will be more magic.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that if one goes into a stadium expecting to be enthralled with magic, the magic will be there for them.

I believe that if one goes into a stadium expecting to be enthralled with magic, the magic will be there for them.

Michael - That's like smelling a turd and hoping it smells like roses, just because I want it to. :laugh: Or expecting the Cubs to be in first place, because I want them to be, but they're in last - 5 games out already.

Expectations and reality are very different sometimes. Much to my displeasure.

Bad joke aside, I don't really agree with you. I had back surgery last May and spent most of the summer inside, off of work, and off my feet. I finally felt well enough to go to quarterfinals. It was my first time doing ANYTHING since March of '06 due to my back, and I was very excited. Maybe my expectations were to high. I remember going to preview of chamions in '91, and being on the edge of my seat all day. I wanted this to happen in '06, but it didn't. Just because there wasn't as much magic, doesn't mean I don't love drum corps as much as I did before. It just isn't getting the emotional response from me that it used to.

Edited by acn

I guess we find our own magic. I've seen some extraordinary things done over the past 6 years however it's all relative.

I don't feel the same although I hoot and holler and go crazy at most shows, I don't believe there are enough magical moments.

It doesn't take much to impress me - PRs V with leg out (a move from the past) not difficult but remembered by so many....sometimes it's the little things that are magical for me.

Attitudes like this promote mediocrity. Completely disagree.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Michael - That's like smelling a turd and hoping it smells like roses, just because I want it to. :laugh: Or expecting the Cubs to be in first place, because I want them to be, but they're in last - 5 games out already.

Expectations and reality are very different sometimes. Much to my displeasure.

Bad joke aside, I don't really agree with you. I had back surgery last May and spent most of the summer inside, off of work, and off my feet. I finally felt well enough to go to quarterfinals. It was my first time doing ANYTHING since March of '06 due to my back, and I was very excited. Maybe my expectations were to high. I remember going to preview of chamions in '91, and being on the edge of my seat all day. I wanted this to happen in '06, but it didn't. Just because there wasn't as much magic, doesn't mean I don't love drum corps as much as I did before. It just isn't getting the emotional response from me that it used to.

Plus, you got to sit in the crappy seats in the handicapped area on about the 20 instead of on the 50 about 3/4 of the way up with me. Anyway a turd is a turd :laugh:. Oh, preview in 1991 was one of the best drum corps viewing days of my life.

Didn't see my first live show until 2 years ago, so I don't have much input on that.

Drum Corps hasn't lost all the magic(well...except "The Magic")...but it certainly lost some of it. I like watching legacy DVDs more than the recent 2000's, they've got so much more...I guess the word really is "heart".

Idono, I agree there's something missing, I guess.

I dont think DCI has lost it's magic. It has just changed. The shows seem much more demanding to me now, than back when I marched. (thats not sayin it wasnt easy) but i think over the years the bar is getting set higher and higher. because of a faster/more competitive show, this probably causes more errors, and weaknesses to show.

if there's no magic left for you, then why do you insist on posting on DCP, spending your money at shows, buying dvds, and wasting time by posting that you think the magic is gone?

really. If you want to live in your own little 1976 dream world, live there. watch the legacy dvds over and over.

~>conner