Who should or will get promoted?

When looking at the SO scores, Norwin was only .2 behind Chino and Northmont only .8 behind them. And if you look at the scores in prelims and semi-finals, Norwin beat everyone up and through Marion Catholic. They just had a bad run in finals. If anything, I think if you were going to promote Chino on up, you should promote Northmont on up. IMHO

Yeah, you may be right. Northmont has been in World Class before, and they were quite successful. Remember the Inferno show?

I personally didn't think that Norwin had quite the finesse and nuance that World Class requires. They were definitely monsters on their rifles, though.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you may be right. Northmont has been in World Class before, and they were quite successful. Remember the Inferno show?

I personally didn't think that Norwin had quite the finesse and nuance that World Class requires. They were definitely monsters on their rifles, though.

I do remember the inferno show.....great show

Not sure what you mean by Norwin not having the finesse and nuance but if I recall correctly, their flags were pretty good and they threw several ensemble 6's and one performer threw a 7 I believe not to mention several 5's i saw. I'm not sure I saw many other Open or World guards doing that. So yes, they were definately monsters on their rifles, but I also thought they had alot of depth in their program. I believe their designer is Jim Olson from Miamisburg. They have had some very well designed shows the last few years. And they definately faired the best out of all the guard promoted from last year. Again, just think they had a bad run in finals.......

I do remember the inferno show.....great show

Not sure what you mean by Norwin not having the finesse and nuance but if I recall correctly, their flags were pretty good and they threw several ensemble 6's and one performer threw a 7 I believe not to mention several 5's i saw. I'm not sure I saw many other Open or World guards doing that. So yes, they were definately monsters on their rifles, but I also thought they had alot of depth in their program. I believe their designer is Jim Olson from Miamisburg. They have had some very well designed shows the last few years. And they definately faired the best out of all the guard promoted from last year. Again, just think they had a bad run in finals.......

I’ve been waiting for someone else to make the observation…so I feel a little vindicated in that I wasn’t they only one. Norwin did indeed have a really bad finals run. They knew it, their fans knew it. . .I think everyone knew it, and it reflected in their score, but it definitely didn’t take away from the design of the show (which I felt was well designed) and the talent of the performers.

I believe Jim Olson (Of Miamisburg) has been designing for them the last few years…when the jumped onto the scene, and you can definitely see the potential in this group. I think they along with Northmont would do very well in SW. Remember Northmont is no stranger to SW…and has placed very well in SW for years. That taken into account with Northmont returning 99% of their guard should be a no-brainer for promotion, at least for me. They have a solid staff and a great feeder guard.

Those are just my thoughts! :-)

The WGI promotion board makes a point of saying that they do not consider staff or number of returning students when evaluating a guard for promotion.

Also, I didn't mean that as a rip on Norwin. I thought they were great. I think they had some really nice writing and were really impressive on their equipment. And kudos to them for being the most successful guard from last year's A Class. I just think they weren't as refined or nuanced as the top guards in Open Class. I didn't see the same level of expressive quality. And you have to have that in spades in World Class. I think that's something they can definitely grow into, though.

However, don't they know that Time to Say Goodbye is on the list? You know, the list of songs you can't do anymore? :)

Edited by Jak

The WGI promotion board makes a point of saying that they do not consider staff or number of returning students when evaluating a guard for promotion.

They can make a point of saying it all the want, however some of us know better. . . I guess time will tell. Either way I think both programs are going to be fine and in fact can decide to move themselves if they feel they can compete. In both cases, I think they could.

Also, a little of topic, but still dealing with SO...did anyone else feel there was a strong correlation between West Johnston's show and Center Grove's 2005 marching band show? I was watching WJ and couldn't figure out where I had seen that show before and then BOOM it hit me! Great shows by both groups. . . .

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

However, don't they know that Time to Say Goodbye is on the list? You know, the list of songs you can't do anymore? :)

Has it changed to an official "banned" list? I know before it was just a "not recommended" list because to secure the rights was either too difficult or too expensive.

Edited by garfield_cadets

Unfortunately groups have bad runs however the trained people at WGI will look through that at the time of promotion.

My congratulations go out to any groups that were promoted last year (Gates Chili, Norwin, even self promoted Rancho Cucamunga) for making finals. Scholastic Open is a very difficult and competitive class to break into.

As far as who should get promoted I think potentially the top 10 SO guards could make the move. Do I think it will happen, probably not but after watching finals they all strike me as world class potential guards.

SA was stronger than ever this year, I wouldn’t be surprised to see another big chunk of 8 or 9 groups are moved. Let’s fill upward; there are plenty of groups that are ready to go. I can’t wait to hear who get the promotion!

Also, a little of topic, but still dealing with SO...did anyone else feel there was a strong correlation between West Johnston's show and Center Grove's 2005 marching band show? I was watching WJ and couldn't figure out where I had seen that show before and then BOOM it hit me! Great shows by both groups. . . .

I thought the same thing! I actually had a hard time enjoying it because it was such a blatant rip-off of Center Grove. The floor, the costumes, the set, the concept. They were really good, though, and it was a neat idea. It was just a shame someone else had the idea first.

Has it changed to an official "banned" list? I know before it was just a "not recommended" list because to secure the rights was either too difficult or too expensive.

That wasn't the list I was talking about. I'm talking about the unofficial list of "Songs you can't do anymore because someone else already did them so well." I was thinking of Chimeras 1999 "Time to Say Goodbye."