Who should or will get promoted?

I thought the same thing! I actually had a hard time enjoying it because it was such a blatant rip-off of Center Grove. The floor, the costumes, the set, the concept. They were really good, though, and it was a neat idea. It was just a shame someone else had the idea first.

I felt the same too. Their show was awesome, but I hope they gave plenty of design credit to Center Grove. I have no idea if they did or not. It was just strange.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That wasn't the list I was talking about. I'm talking about the unofficial list of "Songs you can't do anymore because someone else already did them so well." I was thinking of Chimeras 1999 "Time to Say Goodbye."

OK, now that's just going too far. :rock:

Numerous units have had successful shows with music like Channel One Suite, First Circle, Rhapsody in Blue, and Gloria, just to name a few.

To say nobody should design new shows in the future to any previously "done well" show music is to limit the very creativity this activity SUPPOSEDLY encorages.

Edited by garfield_cadets

OK, now that's just going too far. :rock:

Numerous units have had successful shows with music like Channel One Suite, First Circle, Rhapsody in Blue, and Gloria, just to name a few.

To say nobody should design new shows in the future to any previously "done well" show music is to limit the very creativity this activity SUPPOSEDLY encorages.

It's a huge gamble to do it however, especially with shows that were well exposed (Like Channel One) because the judges have already seen the music interpreted better etc. etc.

And don't tell me they are supposed to be unbiased, because we all know how that goes.

ANYWAYS!

I've heard there is a four year unspoken rule when chosing music that has been done before.

In 2002 Patriots did Shostakovich's Fourth Ballet Suite....03,04,05,06 passes by and then BAM lots of guards did it in 07. Personally I think Patriots did it the best, they really captured the power of the music.

When I started teaching back in the winter of 2001, the guard I worked with did "Somewhere" by Barbara Streisand. A great show, the kids were great, awesome runs all year... circuit championships come up, and they get 10th because "Northmont did the same show in 1995...". So, 6 years and people still remembered the "first" guard who did this song. It was really dissappointing that the judges couldn't be more objective and give credit where credit is due.

And don't tell me they are supposed to be unbiased, because we all know how that goes.

Agreed.

In 2002 Patriots did Shostakovich's Fourth Ballet Suite

You mean they weren't penalized for ripping off Phantom Regiment Drum & Bugle Corps? LOL j/k

When I started teaching back in the winter of 2001, the guard I worked with did "Somewhere" by Barbara Streisand. A great show, the kids were great, awesome runs all year... circuit championships come up, and they get 10th because "Northmont did the same show in 1995...". So, 6 years and people still remembered the "first" guard who did this song. It was really dissappointing that the judges couldn't be more objective and give credit where credit is due.

That's another conversation I've had with other instructors lately. Judging should be about your show, on that particular night.

Holding you against a standard of the same music/performance from a unit years before just illustrates the need for better judges training.

I felt the same too. Their show was awesome, but I hope they gave plenty of design credit to Center Grove. I have no idea if they did or not. It was just strange.

Actually, West Johnston's director did an FBI show years ago that he remade for this year. So he was actually going off of his own idea that he made better for this year, not ripping off Center Grove.

Actually, West Johnston's director did an FBI show years ago that he remade for this year. So he was actually going off of his own idea that he made better for this year, not ripping off Center Grove.

As I got to thinking, I was wondering if there was more to it.

When I saw Center Grove's marching band do it, I remembered thinking that I thought this show would do well as a winter guard show.

It was however still coincidentally very similar to that show.

It was also one of my favorites in that class, so go figure.

OK, now that's just going too far. :doh:

It was sarcasm. We joked about the "list" when we heard they were doing Time to Say Goodbye.

Nevertheless, it is a legitimate concern. I think there's been a thread on this before, but there is a list in my head of pieces I would never do. Time to Say Goodbye, Beethoven 9 (Center Grove's "Joy" show), Channel One Suite, just to name a few. It's not neccesarily about them being done lots of times before, it's about music that has been done in a way that everyone in the activity remembers for years to come. Tons of guards did "Wild Horses" last year, but I don't think any of them were all that memorable. So if I wanted to do Wild Horses in a few years, I probably would. "Time to Say Goodbye" had only been done once (before this year), but it was off limits to me. If you can't do it better than someone else did it, don't do it!

["Time to Say Goodbye" had only been done once (before this year), but it was off limits to me. If you can't do it better than someone else did it, don't do it!

WOW, that's about all I can say to that...........

Norwin is a great guard and they did a great job with THEIR version of Time to Say Goodbye. Give them credit for that.

Edited by flag girl