For Those Able to Go to the Countdown...

BOOOOOOOORIIIIIING...

Not even close.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt that the best sound was during the 2006 shows.....I could notice how far we've come in audio recording!!!! :)

Appleton, WI theater had about 35 people.

Sound was better (louder)

They really need to re-digitize some of that stuff. I have old VHS tapes from the PBS broadcasts that look FAR better. Some of these have WAY too much compression (that Madison show where every object has a black outline and the field is a uniform solid green almost looks painted). I realize some of these were captured to digital quite a while back on early capture hardware, but they should go back and capture them again. Off-the shelf Adobe Premier or Avid Liquid have filters and color tools to restore this stuff.

Heck, I just took an old VHS in to HD via an HDV camcorder's analog-in, dumped to PC, ran noise filters and color correction in Premier. Down-converted back to DVD resolution, and it looks very much improved.

Also synthesized rear channel for 5.1

DCI: I volunteer to clean/restore/normalize next year's countdown.

DCI Classics Re-Mastered Edition? Sounds like another income opportunity.

How many theaters in Denver were showing the countdown this year, especially compared to the previous two years?

The 1995 recordings in general were awful, no remastering will be able to fix that.

Yeah, kind of like in a steel factory.

3 theaters in 05, 2 in 06 and just one this year in Denver although I think Pueblo 100 miles south had a showing.

I went to the Countdown in Mishawaka (next to South Bend, Indiana) to take pictures for DCI.org of those in attendance and to get some short quotes. But by the time I got there, I had already had my thrills for the day. I was driving just east of LaPorte when I saw a bus and two semis pull over. I looked up and saw a tornado VERY close to the Indiana Toll Road. I pulled my minivan over to the side and hopped over a guard railing and started running down towards a depression. Someone right behind my car did the same thing.

When I got to the bottom (maybe only 15 feet down), it was apparent the tornado (about 1/2 mile or slightly more away) was not coming towards me, so I relaxed and watched it. It seemed to stay in the exact same spot for maybe two minutes, then moved a little and then dissipated. A few minutes later (I found this out after getting home and checking the South Bend news website) the same tornado reformed and lifted a police car up that was tracking the storm and threw it into a tree. The officer was not injured. This was within a couple miles of where I stopped and got out.

I got back on the road and traffic came to a complete halt for many minutes...I'm guessing because cars closer to the tornado had all pulled off and were getting back on...or else traffic just stopped in the road itself.

My DCI projects are usually less dangerous.

Jesus Michael! I'm glad you're ok!

That's what you get for living in the MIDWEST!!! :P

BOOOOOOOORIIIIIING...

I have to disagree with you.

At the end of the day guys...we were watching some drum corps, in a theater and not a hot, humid, bug infested stadium with loud, apathetic bandos. (Sorry Dave, I think you got the raw deal with the bandos.)

Each of the show that were on the countdown are incredible shows! It was a great way to hang with your friends and have some fun.

BOOOOOOOORIIIIIING? I don't think so.

A word about 1993 Star...I loved the athleticism and body control exhibited by their guard. I could just gawk...er watch them all day. I thought Cesario's description of their show "like watching tropical fish" was funny and apt. In other words beautiful and wondrous in morphology, yet strangely distant and intangible. I suppose it is not surprising that they left the field of competition the next year for other, probably more appropriate, venues of artistic expression with "Brass Theater" and "Blast".

Edited by Geneva

My opinions are aleady stated in the other thread. By the way, Why is there 2 threads on the same thing? Is there any way that we can merge this one to the other? :laugh:

I have to disagree with you.

At the end of the day guys...we were watching some drum corps, in a theater and not a hot, humid, bug infested stadium with loud, apathetic bandos. (Sorry Dave, I think you got the raw deal with the bandos.)

Each of the show that were on the countdown are incredible shows! It was a great way to hang with your friends and have some fun.

BOOOOOOOORIIIIIING? I don't think so.

Well, that's why it wasn't your post. And I wasn't there. that lineup is boring to me. Let's broaden our horizons a little.

people are too silent watching this. CHEER! CLAP! YELL! SCREAM!!

I agree.

My wife and I were among the few, if any, people cheering, clapping, etc. during many of the performances. Like we do when we watch the Quarterfinals at the theater, we treat these shows as if we were actually in the stands.... cheering, reacting, etc. Heck, last year at Quarterfinals I even booed a few scores.....LOL

The main difference to me is the theater is air conditioned and has popcorn. :P

Fran